What have you done to your A3 (8p) this week

Fitted the 8V style rear wiper arm. £6 off eBay for an aftermarket one. Personally think they look a bit nicer than the original style one.

20190314 144050 1280x960

Reactions: Daveyonthemove, lea323ci, samisnake and 1 other person
Thanks for the tip.
£188.99 on ECP with the discount code.
£167.98 from ECP via ebay, no discount code!
Part numbers:
Left- 478445110
Right- 478445120

There's been a price drop!
They are now £134.99 each, but with discount code PAT75 (St Patricks day) they are £189.99 for the pair.
I've reserved a pair for collect on Tuesday.

Just installed the badgless grill on my a3

Thinking of blacking out the crash bar too?

Attachments

• 12B876C9-E98C-4566-BF79-5E94B057CF65.jpeg
    12B876C9-E98C-4566-BF79-5E94B057CF65.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 403
I picked up the rear lights for the car today and I have to admit that I am more than a little impressed with how much better they look, I should have done this months ago.
Before:
Rsz 1img 20190319 160318 1

Comparison of Old vs New:
Rsz img 20190319 151943 1

New lights fitted:
Rsz img 20190319 160351 1

Both lights cost £188.98 thanks to the St Patricks day code, so they were too good a price not to buy.

Reactions: mechanic69, Baka, maxpayne and 2 others
changes the back nicely. old ones make the car look...old

sadly, even though ive got those lights already on my car from standard, i need to order another pair as crack in one of them and water ingress in the other ***

changes the back nicely. old ones make the car look...old

sadly, even though ive got those lights already on my car from standard, i need to order another pair as crack in one of them and water ingress in the other ***
Thanks, I think the same. Got complimented yesterday by the guys at R-tech as they saw the car and thought it looked well looked after, and when they saw the mileage on their paperwork they had to double check the Odo incase it had been written down wrong.
Knowing that made me look at what is left on the car that ages it, and it was the rear lights. Not anymore!

Try ECP for the lights, they could still be on offer.

Thanks, I think the same. Got complimented yesterday by the guys at R-tech as they saw the car and thought it looked well looked after, and when they saw the mileage on their paperwork they had to double check the Odo incase it had been written down wrong.
Knowing that made me look at what is left on the car that ages it, and it was the rear lights. Not anymore!

Try ECP for the lights, they could still be on offer.

Looking at the new rear lights, maybe it is my monitor not picking up much of a difference but are the new ones darker and what else is different in the unit?
Do the new units come with bulbs and is everything just plug and play? Are the new ones a perfect fit with no gaps etc? Does this company make the OE Audi lights? What model year are they from as I have just found that OE 2011 are the darkest? Quite keen on an upgrade if it is really worth it and my S3 is red and everything blends in together with the standard lights.

Last edited:
How have you managed to keep the exhaust tips so clean?!
I just wash them with the rest of the car once a week. No special treatment.
Looking at the new rear lights, maybe it is my monitor not picking up much of a difference but are the new ones darker and what else is different in the unit?
Do the new units come with bulbs and is everything just plug and play? Are the new ones a perfect fit with no gaps etc? Does this company make the OE Audi lights? What model year are they from as I have just found that OE 2011 are the darkest? Quite keen on an upgrade if it is really worth it and my S3 is red and everything blends in together with the standard lights.
They are darker.
The bulb layout is different and no bulbs are included
Brake lights are a wedge type bulb and main rear bulb needs to be smaller than the same bulb in the old unit.
Once you have the correct bulbs in it, you just plug and play. No coding, no gaps Straight fit

I just wash them with the rest of the car once a week. No special treatment.

They are darker.
The bulb layout is different and no bulbs are included
Brake lights are a wedge type bulb and main rear bulb needs to be smaller than the same bulb in the old unit.
Once you have the correct bulbs in it, you just plug and play. No coding, no gaps Straight fit

Thanks for your reply.
Do you have a link to the bulbs required or is it on the box etc?
Also how do you switch maps with your RTech remap?

Thanks for your reply.
Do you have a link to the bulbs required or is it on the box etc?
Also how do you switch maps with your RTech remap?
I moved some bulbs across and was lucky to have the others sat around not being used.
I'll try and find a link to them later today.

The maps are easy to change.
Ignition on but engine off.
Hold foot on the brake and press accelerator pedal with the other foot. Each press makes the rev needle move up a number on the rev counter which indicates which map you are on. Then simply start the car and it remains on that map until you change it yourself..
I have only tried number 5, that's what I wanted from the start.

Last edited:
Reactions: mechanic69
I moved some bulbs across and was lucky to have the others sat around not being used.
I'll try and find a link to them later today.

The maps are easy to change.
Ignition on but engine off.
Hold foot on the brake and press accelerator pedal with the other foot. Each press makes the rev needle move up a number on the rev counter which indicates which map you are on. Then simply start the car and it remains on that map until you change it yourself..
I have only tried number 5, that's what I wanted from the start.

Thank you!

Thank you!
Indicator bulbs should move across. I already had silver effect bulbs instead of orange ones.
Fog light bulb should move across.
I swapped reverse light and main rear lights for these LED bulbs from Ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-CANB...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Brake lights are a 5w wedge bulbs (Sidelight/interior bulb) and I had some spare Canbus error free bulbs from this kit: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-S3-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I have them all fitted and have run the lights through an output test to make sure they all work and they have not triggered any bulb out warnings.

That's a pretty damn cool way to do it!
Yeah, it is. My mate has a MK5 R32 and I let him drive mine this afternoon. Started with the stock mode and then told him how to move to level 5 and test drive it again. He loved the way it switches maps, and the performance gains.

Just installed the badgless grill on my a3

Thinking of blacking out the crash bar too?

I sprayed my crash bar Matt black when the grille was off, almost invisible when the grille is on, also sprayed the radiator behind it as some of the ally was showing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No to much to report on mine since the light swap on tuesday, except I have ordered LED number plate lights as the yellow bulbs look pants.
As I got woken up 2 hours after getting into bed this morning after a night shift, I decided to go out for a drive, simply to enjoy the car on the Cotswold roads. Such an enjoyable drive now it's had the remap, it's a different car.

Fitted some pedal covers. £11.00 from eBay (these were from UK but could be purchased from China for only £6). Good fit and think they look alot nicer than the standard black rubber ones. Good cheap mod ! Will order the footrest cover to compliment it too!.......excuse the dirty foot mats......next job is clean the interior :whistle2:
20190322 132719 1024x1365

Also installed a bluefin remap today!

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
First impressions?

Yep I'm happy with it. I've remapped a few of my cars in the past, and had custom maps done on the RR usually. Now I know these give better results over a bluefin. However I bought this cheap from a forum member so thought why not give it a go.

Dead easy to use. Plug it in, follow the instructions to download/copy your standard map. Then plug it into your laptop, upload your map to superchips, who then immediately send back a stage 1 map which is loaded onto the bluefin device. Plug the bluefin back into the car and let it do it's stuff. 15 mins or so and the new map was on the car.

I've done about 40 miles with it so far. The difference.....well it's not "night and day" faster but then I wasn't expecting that. Superchips are known to be less on power than other mappers. However there's a definate all round improvement in performance. Mid range torque is noticeably improved. No issues with clutch slip (so far). So I'm very happy with it.

Would I advise in my opinion a bluefin over a custom map.......strangely probably not, unless you are getting the device and map cheap. Reason being a new superchips bluefin would be £350ish. You can get a good custom map (done on a rolling road) for this same cost. And a custom map is more tailored to your car and gives better performance. However for me, this bluefin was only £100 so considerably cheaper than other options (plus after just booking a holiday im out of cash for a decent custom map :whistle2:)

So I'm very happy with it for the money, and do think for simplicity and ease of use they are a very good setup.

Gaz

Reactions: Daveyonthemove and maxpayne
Cracking price!

it is compared to how much they can sell for, but cant help feeling like its a lot for something i already have. doesnt feel like an upgrade, more like a repair that didnt need to be.
all because the lense had begun to seperate from the housing on both sides. silicone sealed the lights up, wasnt very happy with the repair as you could see it through the clear lens and then a couple months later a crack formed ***. the other side is crack free, but theres moisture in it and some of the dark red has flaked.
oh well, once theyre fitted its done. btw, just realised the irony of your post!

YSiZFYR.jpg

sPaMO4d.jpg

Reactions: Gaz78 and Daveyonthemove
My 2009 is S-line with interior trim and lowered suspension, but was sold without the exterior body kit option from factory. I replaced the rear diffuser a year ago, and now I finally managed to get a color matching S-line front bumper from a local salvage yard. Makes a nice difference up front =)

Also replaced the front turn signal bulbs with Philips SilverVision to reduce orange glare in the headlight reflectors. Picture for comparison (right still OEM).

Attachments

• A3-09-sline-bumper.jpg
    A3-09-sline-bumper.jpg
    698.3 KB · Views: 360
  • A3-09-sline_vs_standard-small.jpg
    A3-09-sline_vs_standard-small.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 380
  • A3-09-silver_vision-turn-signal.jpg
    A3-09-silver_vision-turn-signal.jpg
    537 KB · Views: 373
  • A3-09-sline-diffuser.jpg
    A3-09-sline-diffuser.jpg
    625.3 KB · Views: 372
I swapped my LED bulbs in the rear lights back to Halogen bulbs as they started to give me fault codes and bulb failure warnings, so that became annoying quickly.
I hadn't actually seen the lights in the dark so I took a camera with me and run an output test using OBD Eleven so I could stand at the back of the car and see the bulbs for myself.
Anyone thinking of getting these lights or needing replacement bulbs will need: PY21W, W16W, H21W, R10W.

Replaced the cracked and leaky rear lights for some new ones then washed polished and waxed it

T27lUdl.jpg

dgZgeQE.jpg

m8YAud7.jpg

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
Not today but got this fitted this week, 30minute job and only cost £6

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190327-171235_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20190327-171235_WhatsApp.jpg
    919 KB · Views: 352
Not much to add this week.
I did buy some LED Number plate lights from Ebay. Fitted them today and sadly only one of them worked, and whilst it was bright and a significant improvement, it's no good to me on it's own so they got removed.
Luckily I had some Festoon LED bulbs and they both fit perfectly and worked really well. Not as bright as the lights from Ebay, but much brighter than the standard Festoon Bulbs, and if I'm honest I think the Ebay bulbs would have been too bright in the dark.

I also replaced all 4 rubber mountings on the bottom of the engine cover/airbox as one was missing and the other 3 were starting to perish. When it was on the rolling road recently you could see the cover moving around a fair bit, so I replaced them for peace of mind that the cover can't move too much and stress anything or restrict air flow.

Aside from that I stripped the car back to it's paintwork, clayed it, used Auto Finesse Triple and then topped it off with some 'Bead Maker' which has given it the slickest finish I have ever had on any car, and the shine is very deep and glossy. Extremely happy with this product on a black car.

I did buy some LED Number plate lights from Ebay. Fitted them today and sadly only one of them worked, and whilst it was bright and a significant improvement, it's no good to me on it's own so they got removed.
Luckily I had some Festoon LED bulbs and they both fit perfectly and worked really well. Not as bright as the lights from Ebay, but much brighter than the standard Festoon Bulbs, and if I'm honest I think the Ebay bulbs would have been too bright in the dark.

I also replaced all 4 rubber mountings on the bottom of the engine cover/airbox as one was missing and the other 3 were starting to perish. When it was on the rolling road recently you could see the cover moving around a fair bit, so I replaced them for peace of mind that the cover can't move too much and stress anything or restrict air flow.

Aside from that I stripped the car back to it's paintwork, clayed it, used Auto Finesse Triple and then topped it off with some 'Bead Maker' which has given it the slickest finish I have ever had on any car, and the shine is very deep and glossy. Extremely happy with this product on a black car.
Good idea to replace the air box grommets. If it flops around too much it can put pressure on top of the hpfp and cause a crack in the plastic on the top. If that happens a new fuel pump is needed or at least a replacement sensor from a donor pump.

On a side note, the back lights have gone expensive on ECP again. The discount code SALE55 is not as good as weekend37!!

Scrolled back a few pages and just been having a look at those perspex tints you've fitted, have you got a picture of them fitted? Been quoted around £120 to have my rears tinted which is about the price of these, only thing putting me off slightly is you stated they have a slight reddish tint on the insides?

Scrolled back a few pages and just been having a look at those perspex tints you've fitted, have you got a picture of them fitted? Been quoted around £120 to have my rears tinted which is about the price of these, only thing putting me off slightly is you stated they have a slight reddish tint on the insides?
Here's a couple of pics from outside the car, and one looking through the rear window to highlight the colour.
Bearing in mind the car is freshly cleaned and the morning dew gives a 'silver' effect on the windows, I did wipe the rear window to show that it it still a silver-ish tint from the outside and not a black tint like most factory tints.
Personally I like them and they do cut out all glare from the sun or bright headlights, far more than the tints did that were on it.

Rsz img 20190401 064736

Rsz img 20190401 064340

Rsz img 20190401 064352

What part no are the rubber grommets? I think mine is missing two!