What have you done to your A3 (8p) this week

And what about car parts 4 less? Also try auto doc.

I were just Guna say Car parts 4 less. Most of the time it’s the same stuff as Euro car parts but even cheaper.

Edit.

£147.05 on car parts 4 less

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
If you’re wanting the newer slightly tinted version you just have to be careful if you’re buying 2nd hand as you might get the none tinted version which look exactly the same but obviously aren’t as dark and were present on the 09 - 11 A3 8p’s then 11 - 12 year a3’s were the darker version lights.
Ones like these I sold ( pic )

Attachments

• 9643-1523651160-e55caadcc26b1524098d016f5ca2df72.jpg
    9643-1523651160-e55caadcc26b1524098d016f5ca2df72.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 233
I see on CP4L and ECP they have "Aftermarket" lights, as well as Magneti Marelli. Does anyone have any knowledge/experience of these aftermarket ones?

Today I had the Haldex Controller fitted as it came back from repair this morning.
It was then covered in a sealant spray to add an extra layer of protection so it should last the life of the car.
We then compression tested the engine and inspected the Cam follower as it's been approx 10 months/15k miles since it was changed. It was barely touched, so that's good to know.
As the HPFP was off the car we did the 5mm drill mod, only I decided to play it safe and go up to 3mm instead.
No noticeable difference, so either a waste of time, or 5mm is the best solution.
And to top it off, I was made aware of a guy breaking an S3 locally so we picked up some cheap trim bits that I needed, and got chatting. Turns out he had a MFFBSW that he had provisionally sold to someone that was meant to collect by 5pm today. I mentioned that if the buyer didn't show up I would come straight around with the cash. He contacted us at 5.30 and told us that the buyer hadn't shown up. I collected it at 6.30.
Needs a bit of a clean but it's in great condition and will be fitted at some point soon.
View attachment 176222
View attachment 176223
View attachment 176224

You could get the wheel retrimmed by royal steering wheels for about 100 quid, perforated leather or alcantra loads of options

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I see on CP4L and ECP they have "Aftermarket" lights, as well as Magneti Marelli. Does anyone have any knowledge/experience of these aftermarket ones?

I wouldn’t bother. IMO they always look cheap, might aswell just buy the proper thing.

You could get the wheel retrimmed by royal steering wheels for about 100 quid, perforated leather or alcantra loads of options

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Already emailed them on Sunday, no response so far.
I was planning to keep it the same, but i'm remembering how cold they get in the winter so i'll probably opt for a design with a bit of extra padding or material to make it more pleasant.

Already emailed them on Sunday, no response so far.
I was planning to keep it the same, but i'm remembering how cold they get in the winter so i'll probably opt for a design with a bit of extra padding or material to make it more pleasant.
You might want to budget around £200 if you want a custom job done but that will include postage off £11 each ( if your posting) , as for a Basic that you where thinking about earlier I think it was around £145, + postage for that .
Please let us know how much it is now .

Decided to change the Aftermarket grille for a genuine RS3 courtesy off member @JayA3sline ( cheers mate ) and jazz it up a bit , eagle eyes might see the slight difference.
The aftermarket one is for sale
Went and purchased this on good advice from member @mechanic69 from eBay as car is needing it changed (
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/301517687801 ) and since it's service time I got 5 litres off this from eBay at what I thought was a steel less than £47 ( Oil - Millers Nanodrive CFS 5W40 NT+ Fully Synthetic Oil ) now only need to pay my mechanic and hope it sails through Mot

Attachments

• IMG_20190225_145724-1920x1440.jpg
    IMG_20190225_145724-1920x1440.jpg
    471.6 KB · Views: 234
  • 9648-1523651581-b4e26640ddbf375389055e9d56229982.jpg
    9648-1523651581-b4e26640ddbf375389055e9d56229982.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_20190226_150714-1440x1920.jpg
    IMG_20190226_150714-1440x1920.jpg
    981.3 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_20190226_150731-1920x1440.jpg
    IMG_20190226_150731-1920x1440.jpg
    600.6 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Decided to change the Aftermarket grille for a genuine RS3 courtesy off member @JayA3sline ( cheers mate ) and jazz it up a bit , eagle eyes might see the slight difference.
The aftermarket one is for sale
Went and purchased this on good advice from member @mechanic69 from eBay as car is needing it changed (
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/301517687801 ) and since it's service time I got 5 litres off this from eBay at what I thought was a steel less than £47 ( Oil - Millers Nanodrive CFS 5W40 NT+ Fully Synthetic Oil ) now only need to pay my mechanic and hope it sails through Mot
Great color for your whip. I would love to see a yellow s3 badge on the grill and yellow fogs.

Today the car was given a change of oil, oil filter, air filter and spark plugs.
We also did a blowback test after low compression on cyl 1 and the results were a very convincing pass, so all is well.
Last job of the day was to replace all the interior bulbs with LED replacements.

This weekend I changed the stock halogen headlights - dipped and full-beam - for "Xenon look" ones from Osram.

I also finally figured out how to access the front indicator lights to swap them. The "fried egg" look, which has often been mentioned on this forum from the stock bulbs, has now gone as I've put in chrome bulbs that are only orange when turned on. I had to go in through the wheel well by pulling back the liner. It was an extremely tight fit, but it seems to be the only way to do it.

I have an Ibis White S Line sportback and Ive just this morning purchased some Ibis White S3 side skirts, Ibis White S3 bottom door blades and Ibis White S3 rear bumper for £350 from someone at breakers yard in Manchester. Thought that was a good price, hopefully when I get round to fitting them tomorrow they are a good colour match.

Thoughts?should I revert to the silver one??
Didn’t change the back yet..
70725cabfb7a560a131651e9642abae1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's your choice mate, nobody else owns or pays for the car so only your opinion matters.
If you like it, keep it.

Reactions: Andreashadji
I think the silver/chrome badge looks better seeing as you have silver/chrome grille surround

Reactions: mechanic69 and Andreashadji
Tackled a really technical difficult job today.........stuck on silver sline door catch covers:smiley:

BEFORE:
20190308 111122 1024x1365

AFTER:
20190308 111200 1024x1365

I got 4 from eBay for £6.00. Cheap and cheerful extra!

Gaz

Reactions: lea323ci
Well I’ve done nothing physically to my S3 but I have done a lot of thinking.
I am at the stage where I can do no more to the engine performance on my own. Every mod that I can do has been done and so it sits happily at stage 2+.
However, there is more that can be done but it needs quite a bit of cash and I would need assistance.
A hybrid turbo seems attractive and after a brief chat with RTech it appears that a TT480 is a better bet than a TTE 420. They don’t have to make it work so hard to get the same results. Both would need a TTRS lpfp and RS3 injectors with the AKS head modification. The torque can be kept below the critical value to keep my standard engine intact. However, in the future I could have a fully forged engine if I won the lottery and I wanted to go even further.
This brings me to the clutch. At the moment as I don’t lug it in the high gears, I am on the standard clutch but it will not last forever.
The 2 options that I would consider would be a Helix DMF organic or an RTS SMF with a dual friction plate. The RTS clutch is marketed by Awesome and apparently feels similar to stock. The Helix is heavier in its pedal pressure and we had issues on another car in 2017 with a Helix. After speaking to Alex at AKS he assures me that all problems are now fixed with the Helix kit.
As a car, it is worth spending the cash in spite of it being 12 years old next month.

All thoughts welcomed.

I am at the stage where I can do no more to the engine performance on my own. Every mod that I can do has been done and so it sits happily at stage 2+.
However, there is more that can be done but it needs quite a bit of cash and I would need assistance.
A hybrid turbo seems attractive and after a brief chat with RTech it appears that a TT480 is a better bet than a TTE 420. They don’t have to make it work so hard to get the same results. Both would need a TTRS lpfp and RS3 injectors with the AKS head modification. The torque can be kept below the critical value to keep my standard engine intact. However, in the future I could have a fully forged engine if I won the lottery and I wanted to go even further.
This brings me to the clutch. At the moment as I don’t lug it in the high gears, I am on the standard clutch but it will not last forever.
The 2 options that I would consider would be a Helix DMF organic or an RTS SMF with a dual friction plate. The RTS clutch is marketed by Awesome and apparently feels similar to stock. The Helix is heavier in its pedal pressure and we had issues on another car in 2017 with a Helix. After speaking to Alex at AKS he assures me that all problems are now fixed with the Helix kit.
As a car, it is worth spending the cash in spite of it being 12 years old next month.

All thoughts welcomed.

All thoughts welcomed.

My car is a 56 plate, so on the cusp of 13 years old.
Mechanically it seems sound and I'm calling R-tech tomorrow to get it booked in for a stage 1.
The way I see it, it's not worth going above Stage 2 on my car as the expense climbs quickly to get gains, and on a car this age it would be worth a fraction of whats spent on it either as a future sale or insurance write off.
I'd rather use the cash to part ex my S3 in for a different car as it would make more financial sense and a different car would have more potential for smaller costs.

Mechanically it seems sound and I'm calling R-tech tomorrow to get it booked in for a stage 1.
The way I see it, it's not worth going above Stage 2 on my car as the expense climbs quickly to get gains, and on a car this age it would be worth a fraction of whats spent on it either as a future sale or insurance write off.
I'd rather use the cash to part ex my S3 in for a different car as it would make more financial sense and a different car would have more potential for smaller costs.

Good points there. For no extra tuning cost at RTech, a downpipe would take you to stage 2.
In the near future, I’ll be selling an “as new” APR downpipe with sports cat for approx half the new price. It connects straight onto the standard catback. Probably done no more than 1,000 miles. A real quality piece of kit as Paddy will testify!

This is where logic and emotion collides.
Ours is also 13 years old but I’ve spent more than 3.5k on over the last two years, which is what we bought it for. I’ve twice priced up FL A3 Sportback (around 18k will give you a high spec model with low mileage) only to not make the switch thinking spending another 10k will probably not give a dramatically better car so we’re still stuck with the old girl still!

Good points there. For no extra tuning cost at RTech, a downpipe would take you to stage 2.
In the near future, I’ll be selling an “as new” APR downpipe with sports cat for approx half the new price. It connects straight onto the standard catback. Probably done no more than 1,000 miles. A real quality piece of kit as Paddy will testify!

Feel free to contact me when that time comes, I could be interested.

This has probably been the first week in a long time that nothing has been done to my car, other than drive it and enjoy it.
Oh, but I did make a call to R-tech this morning :)

Changed air filter and cabin filter after clearing the snow! Managed to loose one of the airbox screw...

4eVhUKWl.jpg

Changed air filter and cabin filter after clearing the snow! Managed to loose one of the airbox screw...

4eVhUKWl.jpg
Don't worry, you will find it in a day or two. It will be deeply embedded inside the flat tyre you will probably get :(

Reactions: abmat
View attachment 131970
Decided to do the cam belt and water pump on my facelift 2008 s line tdi yesterday, I found it a bit less fiddly on the common rail engine than my older 2005 A3 View attachment 131974
View attachment 131975

When I lowered the under tray I found this spring View attachment 131976
But couldn't find where it had come from , it was located at the back of the tray gearbox side . Any ideas ?

It’s for the wiper to spring back when lifted up