What have you done to your 8V today?

Washed both cars..and got numb fingers.. worth it though.

20150131 160333
Washed both cars..and got numb fingers.. worth it though.

I took the 'lazy' option and did the other one yesterday!

I was going to do that too but it was absolutely miserable yesterday here so couldn't face going out.. built my home gym instead..

As well as washing both cars i replaced my vanity lights with LED's, just need to do the 2 main lights and glove box next.

I also changed my vanity light LED's today (thanks to Helifela) who had a spare set.
Also changed my wheels and tyres for the winter set I have.

I use two buckets of hot water and a noodle mitt for the washing. When it comes to the polishing and waxing, I find that vigorous rubbing keeps you warm! :p

I've seen this type of thread on another forum I'm part of and it always seems fairly popular,
Detailing world?

Not today but the last thing I did to it was a boost gauge.

Did the guy that fitted you that have any trouble taking out the vent?
Im trying to get access to the screen in the middle but im not able to pop out the vents with the tool as I don't know where to stick it and pull.

Detailing world?

Did the guy that fitted you that have any trouble taking out the vent?
Im trying to get access to the screen in the middle but im not able to pop out the vents with the tool as I don't know where to stick it and pull.

I'm not too sure mate. I've still got the instructions in the car, I'll get them posted on here tomorrow, should tell you how to remove the original vent

Had my full Cobra (non-res) system fitted last Friday. I still have to record a proper fly-by video for all to see.

Tints done last night and my RS3 grill is arriving tomorrow.

My H&R springs are also sitting in my bedroom awaiting fitting which will be some point next week... depends when GNJ send me up the centre silencer for the Cobra as it's too loud IMO.

Other mods to follow: gloss black alloys, Lambo green calipers, DTUK box OR Revo Stage 2 and gloss black diffuser.

Some pics below:

FullSizeRender

IMG 0635

Reactions: pedro61163, AndyB-S3 and Steph67
My eyes.....my eyes..... wash your car ***. Lol..
Nice mods you have planned! Be good to hear the exhaust and i hope you are leaving the RS3 badge off..ha..

So i did a photoshop of my car...body colour internals on the grill. Whats thoughts?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423003072119.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1423003072119.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 846
Haha, no point cleaning it with the ****, snowy weather we have right now! Of course I am, what do you take me for?!

Yeah, I'd go for that - looks smart.

Reactions: AndyB-S3
Switched off the ESP, pressed the loud pedal and grinned like a goon!! :rolleyes:

Although it does seem to turn on a magnet for the nearest kerb when you do the above :eek: but fun nonetheless in the snow :racer:

Reactions: AndyB-S3
Be interesting to hear how you get on changing the grill. Any chance of a step by step with some photos to help others doing the same????

Steve

I used VCDS to permanently switch off the Start/Stop system.

I thought the stop/start was something that would really bother me, but that's turned out not to be the case. I have a habit of sitting with the clutch depressed and my foot on the brake anyway, rather than dropping it into neutral and/or applying the handbrake, so my stop/start rarely kicks in.

I used VCDS to permanently switch off the Start/Stop system.

Why does everyone seem to be against start stop? It saves fuel and starts back up so quickly it's never been an issue for me

Reactions: The Challinor, Phil-1, Cymru09 and 1 other person
My reservation was the thought that an increased number of stop/start cycles would lead to increased wear on the starter motor and other oily bits. I intend to keep the car for around 10 years, so long term reliablility is a consideration for me. Before we bought the Audi we were actually looking at a new Focus and I was going to deliberately omit stop/start from the spec.

Yippeeeeee.. Fitted my LED's. It took like 30 seconds to do the front and rear reading lights.. once I figured out/was told I was doing it wrong and the half an hour the other night. lol already done the vanity ones and only other one is the glovebox but that will be for the weekend when i get some more time..

Looks much better but darkness will tell me how much better than standard they are... I have taken some photo's and will stick them in the Interior light upgrade thread to help folks like me. :)

Reactions: MA3RC
Be interesting to hear how you get on changing the grill. Any chance of a step by step with some photos to help others doing the same????

Steve

No worries, I'll take photos when we change them out and I'll create a thread for the benefit of others :).

Reactions: rvtb101 and AndyB-S3
I thought the stop/start was something that would really bother me, but that's turned out not to be the case. I have a habit of sitting with the clutch depressed and my foot on the brake anyway, rather than dropping it into neutral and/or applying the handbrake, so my stop/start rarely kicks in.
The Start/Stop system on my wife's A1 manual works fine, but with the s-tronic on mine it does not work as well, which is why I switched it off.

A week ago I was stopped at a busy roundabout. A gap in traffic appeared and I moved my foot from the brake to the throttle and as I moved forward the engine cut-out and I sat there in the middle of the road with a large lorry coming towards the back of me and just managed to get engine started and pull away before he went in to the back of me.

I have found it useful in some situations, like stooping for some time at a level crossing for example but on balance I prefer not to have it. If I'm know I'm going to be still for a while I will do what I did before Start/Stop and turn the engine off manually.

Do you not have the button on the dash to turn it off?
Yes but it means remembering to turn it off every time I turn on the ignition, so I decided switching it off permanently was my preferred option. If I change my mind at a later date I can always switch it back on again. Like a lot of things to do with cars - personal preference.

I made some circles in the snow
1C3EB753-0D71-4E43-B7CB-6ED18B610071.jpg

Reactions: MO11TEL, Cymru09, dragon and 6 others
Why does everyone seem to be against start stop? It saves fuel and starts back up so quickly it's never been an issue for me

I don't mind it either. Seems to work fine and if I don't want the engine to stop I just turn it off temporarily on the dash. Once you get the hang of it you can just press the brake enough to stop but not trigger the start/stop.

I'm just waiting for the government to make it illegal to turn it off. They could argue that the start/stop contributes to the lowering of emissions and thereby puts you into a particular tax bracket. Just joking, but I wouldn't be surprised, stranger things have happened!!!

I don't mind it either. Seems to work fine and if I don't want the engine to stop I just turn it off temporarily on the dash. Once you get the hang of it you can just press the brake enough to stop but not trigger the start/stop.

I'm just waiting for the government to make it illegal to turn it off. They could argue that the start/stop contributes to the lowering of emissions and thereby puts you into a particular tax bracket. Just joking, but I wouldn't be surprised, stranger things have happened!!!
It's true though, by turning it off your car is throwing out higher emissions. Thus the tax bracket should be higher. It makes absolutely no odds to me though I just like the feature as it saves me money :). I can see why people turn it off likewise. Took me a while to get used to it and I often wonder if people think I stall at every set of lights

It's like I've said, it works very well with a manual gearbox but not so well with s-tronic. With the s-tronic you have to keep your foot on the brake pedal otherwise the the engine will restart unless you apply very light pressure just enough to stop the car from moving. But on several occasions I have found that if I do this whilst waiting for a gap in the traffic as soon as I move my foot on to the throttle pedal to move away the engine decide to cut out at that point and it can be very unpredictable which is why I decided to switch it off.

In the past there have been quite a number of members on this forum who have said how much the hate the system and asking how can they switch it off permanently. Someone has now worked out a very simple way to do this using VCDS which is what I've done. The fuel consumption and environmental side of the system does not both me at all as I'm sure the effect of both, in other that the test laboratory conditions, is minimal. If it did I would not have purchased a 184 TDI quattro but a smaller less powerful car.

I've not had any issues with start/stop and s-tronic. If you come to a stop with gentle brake pressure it doesn't even activate. I think mine has activated twice in a month when i've been sleepy and pressed the pedal a bit too hard. Although i could see why if would be a pain without hold assist.

To me any advantages of Start/Stop (if there are any) are far outweighed by possibility of the engine stopping when I don't want it to as has happened several times. If I want the engine to stop I am more than capable of switching it off and restarting it myself as I have done for the last 40 years.

I must admit I find it quite amusing that people say it is better for fuel consumption and the environment and those same people drive around in a S3 that creates 162 g/km and uses quite a lot of petrol when they could be driving an A3 which produces 99 g/km and does many more miles for every gallon. Even if they wanted to stick to petrol they could still get one that produces just 114 g/km. Not so fast but then fast cars have never been that environmentally friendly. Somehow the two don't go together! Even my own 184hp version only produces 125k g/km and does 45-50 mpg.

If you like Start/Stop and it makes you feel good then by all means carry on using it. Personally I don't which is why I've switched it off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snibo
I'm not saying i'm a fan of it, it was a bit of a pain to get used to in my last A3 but i now know how to stop it doing its thing without having to switch it off.

h5djr - in my post I wasn't suggesting that I like start stop because it is environmentally friendly. In fact, as you say, the effect must be minimal (anyone have any figures?). But I imagine that eco considerations are the only reason to include it - why else would they?
I have no strong opinions about it - it's there and it doesn't bother me really. Isn't it a good job we are not all the same!

What have I done to my 8V S3 today (well last night)?

Lent it to my wife, who kerbed the rear passenger side alloy cutting a corner, taking a bite out of it ... raging :mad:

6 months in, and I've been so careful with it, there's wasn't a single mark on any of the alloys .. she's only been out with it 3 times :3sadwalk: ***

Reactions: elpaulio and CCWS3
Just had my springs fitted earlier, so enjoy the customary photo:

IMG 0808

Still needs to settle in and I'm fitting the RS3 grill in a few hours so I'll pan that up in due course as well as a few fitting notes.

P.S. I am fully aware my car is filthy and it will be cleaned when I know it's not gonna snow ;).

Reactions: DommyR, LucasS3, AndyB-S3 and 2 others
h5djr - in my post I wasn't suggesting that I like start stop because it is environmentally friendly. In fact, as you say, the effect must be minimal (anyone have any figures?). But I imagine that eco considerations are the only reason to include it - why else would they?
I have no strong opinions about it - it's there and it doesn't bother me really. Isn't it a good job we are not all the same!

That's fine. I'm not sure that it can have any real advantage for the environment either. Just strikes me as the manufacturers being seen to be doing something however minimal. I think the main reason they include it is to help to get the overall C02 for each model down a little, but I'm sure that only works with the current rather silly fuel consumption tests that they are required to carry out.

I'm personally not keen on it either and it does not seem to work too well with the s-tronic which is why I've switched it off using VCDS. I know there are other who have purchased the module from Kufatec that does the same when it is plugged in to the OBD port.

Can I suggest that we agree to disagree on stop/start or continue to discuss it's merits or otherwise in a dedicated thread? The idea of this thread is to show and discuss what we've done with our cars. :icon thumright:

That's fine by me. It was just that 'it was what I did to my car today' in the first place.

Reactions: Relliott6879
Just had my springs fitted earlier, so enjoy the customary photo:

View attachment 50048

Still needs to settle in and I'm fitting the RS3 grill in a few hours so I'll pan that up in due course as well as a few fitting notes.

P.S. I am fully aware my car is filthy and it will be cleaned when I know it's not gonna snow ;).
Looking really nice! Got me thinking now...lol promised the wife i was not going to mod my S3....see how long that lasts tho..;)

Reactions: CCWS3
Drove it to work, drove it home, and drove it some more in the middle bit :)

Going down to Edinburgh tomorrow so that should see me over 1000miles so she'll be "run in" and I can then use full throttle...oh wait, oops :devilish::devilish:

Might stop off and see my mate on the way back, unfortunately he's a Revo dealer so I may come away from his place a touch lighter....hmmm....decisions decisions......

Reactions: Psyman79, CCWS3 and AndyB-S3