1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

What have you done to your 8V today?

Relliott6879 Jan 27, 2015

1. dp_motley

dp_motley 2012 A3 1.6 TDI S line 2019 A3 35TFSI S line

Was busying myself with a small styling project. I color matched star shaped center caps of my new S3 replicas to the rim color. Some may say I doesn't matter, but I really don't like when the center caps of this design are lighter than the gun metal alloys. It seems unnatural to me as I think that if something is fitted deeper, it should look darker or at least the same shade of grey. Initially I considered darker color, not black though, but then I found spray paint that was an exact match, so bought it. I covered the centre caps with gloss clear coat, so they are protected and look like a part of the wheel now :) Also, I de-chromed the cap "nuts" making them satin black. It took some time and it was my first experience with a spray can, not saying that materials wasn't cheap as well, but I liked the result at the end and that was what it was all about :)

S3 replica wheel 19 inch with painted center caps 1.jpg S3 replica wheel 19 inch with painted center caps 2.jpg S3 replica wheel 19 inch with painted center caps 3.jpg

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Ice Kay

Ice Kay Active Member VCDS Map User

I picked the years option and then it said the first month is free and then will revert to charges but you just cancel the subscription before the month is over

Henda likes this.
  4. Phone Tech

Phone Tech Registered User

well not really as I have turning lights LEDs orange (below pic)
    aaand am gonna order THISSSSS LED bulb below to replace poor xenon hahahaha :D
    All is possible :)

Attached Files:

5. Phone Tech

no my friend IT ISN'T ;) I didn't go for them as they are still expensive + work I purchased these lights for £500 and work done was £300 so £700
    With full leds it would cost me grand or even over

6. Leevr

Leevr Registered User

Gave it a well needed wash. 2 weeks of rain, dust and bugs without washing is a new record for me.
    20190728_175423-3024x1470.jpg

Jud, Nige Smith, Pook and 2 others like this.
  7. SPIKE_S3

SPIKE_S3 Vorsprung durch Technik

Great idea, and looks really well. It’s always the simple ones that have the biggest impact!

lea323ci and dp_motley like this.
  8. Phone Tech

what's the point showing foam ??? show us cleaned car all round !

9. Mitch H

Mitch H Registered User

Wanted to do this for a while do you have the paint code for the colour match? Thanks

10. larbel

larbel Registered User

Tested the wireless CarPlay adapter today, working properly overall, but can't switch to RHD display because there's no setting interface, and since I'm on iOS 13 beta 4, the BT audio is a little choppy, was told the adapter's firmware update would fix it but waiting for the URL for the update... I don't use CarPlay much since it's somewhat troublesome with the wire, was hoping the wireless solution would bring new use to it, will see if that's the case once the BT audio is fixed.

IMG_2486.jpg

Also went to a friend's shop and witnessed for the first time someone actually going through with the Clubsport wannabe retractable spoiler's installation :wtf: Seen this kit around for so long but someone actually installing it LMAO But it's pretty nut seeing it in person lol

IMG_2485.jpg

11. Henda

Henda Registered User

Picked up a brand new set of genuine Audi Carbon wing mirrors. I was the only one to bid on them and got them for an absolute bargain.

Leevr and lea323ci like this.
  12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. dp_motley

I used Motip Autospray 51038 with Motip gloss clear varnish. I also used Motip Plastic Primer before the paint. Speaking of the color, it's a good match to my rims that are replica of the S3 ones. If you've got the genuine ones, the color may differ.

14. AlS3BE

AlS3BE Registered User

Have you got a link to that adapter?
    Annoys me that I need a cable for carplay when my car has wireless charging.

15. Ormesome

Ormesome Registered User

2nd this. defo would love to buy soemthing that makes it wireless, especially with the new Carplay coming out.

16. JohnM100

JohnM100 Registered User Gold Supporter VCDS Map User

That is one seriously shiny car!

17. larbel

larbel Registered User

18. dp_motley

- Gave her the third bath in her 4.5 month long live.
    - Fitted new wheels, got harsher ride and a lot of aesthetical satisfaction :)

Wash day.jpg

With new wheels 1.jpg

Dunedin, Nige Smith, Lehn and 2 others like this.
  19. Mylee

Mylee Registered User

4 new boots yesterday
    Major service booked for Monday, with coolant change, brake fluid change and haldex oil and filter clean also..........It's gonna be an expensive month!
    Fitted new front pads myself to save a few pennies :)

20. jrumball

jrumball Registered User

Discovered condensation it my other outside rear light cluster .... left one was replaced under warranty a few moths ago anyone else had this ?

Not the best photo....
    IMG_6649.jpg

21. Pook

Pook Registered User

587720C9-6D6C-4D92-A83F-6067ADD6AF38.jpeg

Did that didn’t I, what a b**lend. First damage to a wheel ever, gutted. Got distracted in a storm coming out of McDonald’s and boosh, mounted the outside kerb, lucky it wasn’t worse really, tyre protection really tried its best. Ah well, sh*t happens.

Audi Bairn and Kayobong like this.
  22. Kayobong

Kayobong Registered User

That doesn't look too bad to be honest, a few people here have been able to fix similar damage with some DIY methods.

Pook likes this.
  23. Pook

Pook Registered User

Y
    yea I got away with it slightly, most of the damage is actually on the underside lip not the face. If anyone has any advice on making it slightly better be much appreciated . I won’t be getting it refurbed for that, the wheel never quite looks the same and it really is only a small graze

Audi Bairn likes this.
  24. Kayobong

Kayobong Registered User

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/diy-diamond-cut-alloy-refurb.276580/

Seen a few videos detailing the process, here's one:

Rcord and Scotty75 like this.
  25. Pook

Pook Registered User

Cool thanks for that. Can’t see me getting that adventurous haha. Guess the problem I have is most of the damage being under the lip edge I won’t get a machine device onto the surface.

26. Rcord

Rcord Registered User

Finally got temperatures displayed on my PFL A3, MM1, TPMS screen. Usual TPMS retrofits for the PFL 8V with MMI1 only display the tyre pressures and fill the temperature fields with a "-60ºC ", which has an ugly, "someting is faulty" look.

IMG_20190806_160132481.jpg

Audi Bairn, Pook and Khufu like this.
  27. Kayobong

Kayobong Registered User

I've got TPMS but don't have that menu in a PFL, how'd you get it?

28. Rcord

Rcord Registered User

Do you have a direct TPMS module installed or the indirect, ABS based TPMS? If you got a 5q0907273 TPMS module you are supposed to get the menu, but not the temperature fields. If you installed a 8S0907273 it generates alerts on the cluster but you don't have the screen at all, it's only displayed on MMI2 . In my case I got a 8s0907273 and built a filter circuit with a microcontroller and wrote a program to remove some CAN Bus messages and insert others that are lacking. Not a commercially available solution though.

29. jrumball

jrumball Registered User

Very interesting be very interested to understand what you did little bit more in detail

Scotty75 and Rcord like this.
  30. Rcord

Rcord Registered User

jrumball likes this.
  31. Kayobong

Kayobong Registered User

I have no idea, I get an alert on the instrument cluster screen if the pressures are low. Never really looked too much into it

32. Rcord

Rcord Registered User

As far as I know, direct TPMS is not available from factory except for the RS3 so, if yours is not a retrofit, it's an indirect TPMS. Indirect TPMS doesn't really measure tyre pressures. Instead, it relies on the ABS module data to look for differences in the speed of a wheel as compared to the others, which can be due to a change in the circumference of the wheel (that's why you can't have access to real pressures and why indirect TPMS doesn't work very well, for example, if a tyre loses pressure very slowly).

Kayobong likes this.
  33. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

34. Kayobong

Kayobong Registered User

Ah alright, I see, cheers for clearing it up!

Rcord likes this.
  35. Pook

Pook Registered User

One pic before, one after in a good light from a ‘normal’ viewing position (looks really decent from that angle), and another a bit closer where if you zoom it’s not quite as good and you can see where it’s bare metal.

Summary - if I’d had a practice wheel this attempt would have been far better. I made the mistake of initially taping up around the repair to limit the damage but then there was no blend and it looked awful. It looked so bad at one point I though f*ck it I may aswell just go for it now and I did. The area I’ve marked was bigger than needed but this was due to the inexperience, but overall if the repair holds up I think it’s pretty good. I left a little nic in the metal as I didn’t want to go too deep to remove this last mark at risk of mis-shaping the wheel too much. Worst case scenario if it still bothers me I could get a refurb but it may not look much better. Just need to buy some lacquer to seal it now. Any recommendations for this welcome. I will only spray the affected area.

Attached Files:

36. Adam14

Adam14 Registered User

Tell you what that's not bad at all, doubt many would notice from a glance as opposed to what it was before. Good stuff

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Scotty75 and Pook like this.
  37. Flying Scotsman

Flying Scotsman Registered User

Adam, just make sure you use lots of masking tape and use 2 or 3 quick passes of the clearcoat and wait a few minutes for each pass of the clearcoat to flash. Practise on a piece of cardboard, if you have not done this before.

38. Adam14

Adam14 Registered User

I don't follow mate? Did you mean to mention me?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

39. Pook

Pook Registered User

Does he mean for me applying the lacquer?

Adam14 likes this.
  40. Pook

Pook Registered User

Looking on amazon E-Tech alloy wheel lacquer gets good reviews, anyone had any experience? It’s such a small area I need to cover.

41. Jonny B

Jonny B Registered User

I think that’s a good result . Save the refurb for the biggie that hopefully never comes .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pook likes this.
  42. Kayobong

Kayobong Registered User

Looks much better mate, it's pretty good for a first attempt.

Pook likes this.
  43. Flying Scotsman

Flying Scotsman Registered User

Yup, that was for you Pook, not Adam, my mistake.....clear coat is what you use on auto base coats, diamond cut wheels etc. Lacquer is similar as long as it is clear.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    Adam14 and Pook like this.