What have you done in your B9 today

Brasso

Reaction score
Well as I couldn't find a similar thread to the 8v one I've been used to I thought I'd start one over here in the B9 section.

So kicking things off.

I picked mine up from being detailed.

332db6ec6c4e52e13e1dcdc08f965a5d.jpg

a6e0defb37f93f53be04cb32d7d30fb7.jpg

3a4aa033a535346b5c4d894e1a7e2277.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you sure you've the right title for this thread?

Fair point cuke2u I presume you are thinking 8w? I wasn't really thinking about that, just took it from the forum title. Perhaps one of the mods could change it.

I think it was to your car today? As you created the thread I believe you can change the title...

Well as I couldn't find a similar thread to the 8v one I've been used to I thought I'd start one over here in the B9 section.

So kicking things off.

And very nice it looks too! Now don't go getting it dirty before Christmas...

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
I made the missus scream in mine today. But not in the way it would have been 30 years ago.
It's also caked in mud and horse sh1t now.

Reactions: Simonb1975, Dmrqwq, Dave70 and 3 others
Put the child seat protector and boot protector in mine today after the detail.

Also picked up a front and rear dash cam to fit. Another job for over the Christmas holiday.

Put the child seat protector and boot protector in mine today after the detail.

Also picked up a front and rear dash cam to fit. Another job for over the Christmas holiday.

You are kitted OUT! Any chance you could check VCDS when you get it to see if valves can be left 'open'? Please? Curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Brasso
I made the missus scream in mine today. But not in the way it would have been 30 years ago.
It's also caked in mud and horse sh1t now.

It was never gonna stay shiny was it

You are kitted OUT! Any chance you could check VCDS when you get it to see if valves can be left 'open'? Please? Curious.

No probs I'll have a look when it turns up. When we went through things the other day didn't spot anything but then it wasn't something I was really lookimout for.

Will be putting my BlackVue into the Avant when it arrives, any pointers on permanent / switched lives when you fit gratefully received - might save me an hour with the multimeter!!

So kicking things off.

What did you pay for the detailing if you don't mind me asking? Have always done my own rudimentary detailing before but with this baby I fear I may go all out!

What did you pay for the detailing if you don't mind me asking? Have always done my own rudimentary detailing before but with this baby I fear I may go all out!

£880 + vat for the complete works. There's a quotation tool on the gtechniq web site.

I wasn't going to get the inside or glass done but then figured what the hell and went the whole hog.

I'd have save a few quid as the insides easy enough to do but decided I would rather spend the time over Christmas with the family.

No probs I'll have a look when it turns up. When we went through things the other day didn't spot anything but then it wasn't something I was really lookimout for.

cheers bud. Seen it done on the S3 and Golf R.

Genuinely not being rude, but really cannot see why you'd spend a grand on washing the car? Am I missing something? Surely you drive it away and it's totally filthy again in 5 mins?

Reactions: CHEZ, The Silverfox and holly35
+1
i like to use good quality cleaning products (bilt hamber) but wouldnt resort to really excessive intense regime....however whatever makes you happy :smiley:

Genuinely not being rude, but really cannot see why you'd spend a grand on washing the car? Am I missing something? Surely you drive it away and it's totally filthy again in 5 mins?
I totally agree. I get mine done by the local hand wash guys for a fiver or inside and out for a tenner if it's particularly messy inside. The road from my house is a country lane with tractors leaving mud all over it this time of year so by the time I get home it's already dirty.

Those are the last people I would let within a hundred miles of my car. Whilst that kind of money is a lot to spend on cleaning a car, relative to the total cost of the car it is small and, to be honest, it is his money...

Reactions: Migwire, iambu and Brasso
I totally agree. I get mine done by the local hand wash guys for a fiver or inside and out for a tenner if it's particularly messy inside. The road from my house is a country lane with tractors leaving mud all over it this time of year so by the time I get home it's already dirty.

Mate. You get what you pay for. Put an LED torch or some sun on your paintwork after that £5 wash and see about £150-300 of damage.

Reactions: CHEZ, Migwire, Brasso and 3 others
There's more to it than washing the car . And as for getting dirty absolutely.

If I'd done it myself i would've looking at about £350-400 for materials and the various chemicals.

So im paying £500 for the labour and expertise to do it. Which was two guys for best part of two days.

The car will now be much easier to keep clean and the finishes help to protect the paint.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Thundercliffe81, Grubb and iambu
I just couldn't do this to my car. As thundercliffe said The damage they cause to the paintwork through dirty wash and drying cloths. Let alone the chemicals they use to clean it. The wheel cleaner is normally very aggressive and with prolonged use can damage the surface lacquer on the wheels, which can lead to wheel worm.

Even if i hadn't had it coated I'd have been applying wax every 6-8 weeks. I've gone this route now as i have a 5 month old and can't dedicate as much time to keeping the car clean. For me the sealants just mean i can maintain the car in less time.

But hey each it his own, I'm happy to spend the money that's my choice, it'd be a very boring world if all did the same thing.

Reactions: RRB, Kestrel, Thundercliffe81 and 1 other person
I detailed my own car as soon as I picked it up from the dealer. The products cost nearly £300 alone (CarPro Cquartz, Gtechniq etc) then I spent a whole day doing the full stage, wheels off detail. Then left overnight to cure. It's not a job for the faint hearted but you can do it yourself if you know what your doing.

Reactions: Brasso, Kestrel and Thundercliffe81
Mine had a quick wash this morning, longish journey tomorrow, and the first one I've done is this car. Looking forward to it but I bet the traffic will be awful and the might be filthy again by the time I arrive. Might have to pack my cleaning equipment with me.
One day I will get around to giving her a good wax.
Found a Gtechniq detailer here http://kdskeltec.co.uk/ which is about 33 miles away so I might book my car in over the easter holidays and thanks for the advice brasso...

Reactions: Brasso and Thundercliffe81
`Detailing` is far more than simply `cleaning`.
Think of it as a good safe clean followed by layers of protection.
As has already been stated...once properly `detailed` a car will be much easier to maintain in a presentable state.
I detail mine twice a year (Spring and Autumn) and it takes me 4 days. Not for everyone, tis true, but for me its a pleasure.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9, Brasso and Thundercliffe81
I would be with most opinion here regarding letting some "car washer" wash my car for a few quid,thats asking for trouble.
im happy with the regime and products im using....

Bringing the thread back on track.

Today I've filled up the tank ready for the Christmas Family Trips (24 mpg last tank... :-\). Topped up screen washer and emptied the boot and backseats ready for presents!

Looking forward to after Christmas where I'll hopefully get a OBDEleven and do some modifications!

Reactions: Brasso and Thundercliffe81
I'm picking my current S3 up tomorrow morning from the detailers and will have paid a not dissimilar amount - although that was for a basic detail but also all 4 wheels being reconditioned before it goes back to the dealers (London curbs...ahem).

The new S4 will also be going in for some substantive protection similar to @Brasso to allow me to keep on top of it even with a toddler and a 3 month old.

Reactions: Brasso, Thundercliffe81 and iambu
Took mine for yet another supermarket shop - and there will be more such trips before we batten down the hatches for the Christmas slob-out. But this evening I've got an M25/M4 cruise to pick up my son, my first decent drive in a while, but I'll be leaving as late as poss to avoid the usual snarl-up around Heathrow. Traffic reports earlier this afternoon were saying that it was locked solid around the M4 junction.

Reactions: Brasso
Left mine at home today and took the wife's clio to the station Took the train for a day out in London.

Had it washed for the new year. and drove it, at every possible opportunity, trying to get it past the 1k miles point

Last edited:
Where did I go yesterday?

Attachments

• IMG_4299.JPG
    IMG_4299.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 430
The building seems to be the wrong shape for meadowhall as it looks like this. However it looks like bits have been cut from the posted image so I think you're correct..

Attachments

• meadowhall-shopping-centre-ba06348a.jpg
    meadowhall-shopping-centre-ba06348a.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 422
The building seems to be the wrong shape for meadowhall as it looks like this. However it looks like bits have been cut from the posted image so I think you're correct..

Think the Sat Nav only shows the central section - crudely done but something like this...

Meadowhall shopping centre air ba06339

Well done, Meadowhall. :)

Thanks for the explanation, I wondered why the shape was off on the sat nav.

Has anyone else seen any interesting satnav buildings?

Mine's been at the dealers for the past 2 days, supposedly having the passenger side mirror auto-dip fixed. However, it won't play up for them now it's in for repair. It's been going on since before Christmas and it's turning into a bit of a saga, but I didn't want to tell the whole story until it is fixed. If it still won't play up tomorrow I'll be collecting it and hoping the problem has righted itself. And then I'll post the story in a new thread.

Thats a silly little niggle that should have been fixed quickly, however I know how much these little things can become a major issue because of the dealerships failure to get the job done. Surely all they need to do is try another mirror from another car?