1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

What has happened to Audi Engines

norad97 Feb 2, 2017

1. norad97

norad97 Registered User

Hi,
    I have been toying with the idea to replace my A4 1.8T sport 1997 AEB that has been a fantasic car
    and still is.

I was looking at A4 B8, then found out that 2.0 TFSI engines have oil comsuption problems,
    I was the looking at A4 B7 but then found out can be the same problem and also can rust on front wings?

My A4 B5 1997 does not have any rust, ( Audis dont rust) uses a small amount of oil and eveything works
    after 194000 miles.

So what can I buy now, is it time to move to BMW or another car make?
    BTW I dont like diesel.

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Buxton2901

Buxton2901 Registered User

I know what u mean. I had a 2000 passat with 180k on the clock and never missed a beat. Moved to a 2006 passat and had nowt but problems. Now have an a4 and there are so many known issues to hard to remember them all lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

4. xpoweruk

xpoweruk TTTS 8J Smile Machine

Get a B8 that had the engine fixed at Audi ?
    3.0tfsi instead?

5. Retroman

Retroman Audi A3 2010 Sportback 2.0 TDI 170 (CBBB engine)

To a slightly lessor extent BMW owners say the same. Constant pressure from the Green lobby to produce ever more "clean" and economical engines - resulting in complicated electronic systems, the use of lighter materials and computer-based designs rushed through with insufficient real-world testing.

6. Chop.

Chop. Registered User

Just like everything else these days PC Brigade has got everything fcuked, everyone all at once lets all say " they just dont make them like they used too " :tearsofjoy:

Ollie2014 and xpoweruk like this.
  7. SootySport

SootySport Registered User

Buy a Honda Jazz, they never go wrong. Never had one myself but everyone I know that has had one at one time or the other says they are the nuts. Another car that doesn't have problems is the Fiesta Mk 4/5 and now the Mk6 is becoming a fault free car, as far as I know. Just don't buy a Vauxhall Corsa C or D.

voorhees and xpoweruk like this.
  8. rum4mo

rum4mo Registered User

Maybe the wrong approach, but if you want an Audi, made from Audi bits, maybe avoid buying one that has a VW engine in it - another reason to get one with a 3.0TFSI engine or a suitable diesel engine from Audi. Yes I know it is all one group of marques, but some engines only get used in Audis, a bit like years ago, some engines were only used in Skodas!

Edit:- some of these engines only make sense if fitted and sold in a car that attracts a higher price, and some of that saving must come from quality of design and build..

xpoweruk likes this.
  9. Gazwould

Gazwould Registered User

Audi 80 , A4 B5 & B6 , Passat B5 / B5.5 , we will never see their reliable likes ever again :frown:

10. Retroman

Reliability and general toughness seemed to peak with non-turbo, non-direct injection, no egr system and with two cams and 4 valves per cylinder. Power about 75 bhp per litre

11. SootySport

SootySport Registered User

Lets all go back to 4 pots, carburettors and no turbos.

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. Retroman

yep - definitely get rid of the bolt-on hairdryers :glee:

14. Jake 61

Jake 61 Teacher of bad things..! Gold Supporter VCDS Map User

I'll stick with my 3.2. VR6 VW engine or not, it's pretty good and no hairdrier.

15. yendall24

yendall24 Registered User

I know exactly what you mean . I have been away from audi for a few years in the past I have owned 11 audis everything from 1.9tdis to 2.8 quattros . I was thinking of looking for another a4 or a6 I like to do my research before buying unfortunately it seems that audi do not make an engine I can trust . the 2.7 and 3 litre have possible timing chains stretching and tensioner guides wearing the tfsi engines have high oil consumption and carbon fouling the 2.0tdi as oil pump issues . now the thing is are these problems as common as the internet would have you think or am I being paranoid . I appreciate all manufacturers have their faults but it seems at the moment audi are a disaster

16. rum4mo

rum4mo Registered User

I can see what you mean about "internet making out these problems are widespread" - but that is the "beauty" of public forums on the internet, though "happy customers" probably don't bother reporting much.
    It does seem, from my working experience, that where 40 or 30 years ago, designs were proven then put out for production, 10 or 2 years ago, designs are being forced into production and catch up is being applied if customers complain/blow the whistle, if not ignore them. Now not much has changed over that period in terms of profitability, okay 40 or 30 years ago money was dumped in, it was called product design investment and companies earned lots by bringing a good product to market and for years earned money out of that investment through continued sales and not much call for "kick backs" for damage done - right now it seems that inexperienced design teams are rolling out what gets international awards for "best ***" prior to going into full production - then the nasty stuff hits the fans, or at least the buying public start needing to pay for someone else's stupid basic mistakes, so sales get slowed down and profits drop due to that and "kick backs". It is just the modern consumer lead(?) society - it works for some companies, just annoys a lot of us though who could be spending time and money on other interesting things to do! You don't really expect an accountant to know much about making technical decisions do you, but there they are at the top of companies surrounding themselves by "yes" people - so bad stuff happens.

17. N@deeem

N@deeem Registered User

One thing that put me off my first German, although I've taken the plunge now.

Buy a Fiat/Abarth or Alfa. Between the 6 I've had for between 2-5 years each they've never used a drop of oil or let me down. Bulletproof!

18. Retroman

Personally I won't be buying another VAG car. Far too many engine problems across the range and having worked on mine, my view is that the quality of the parts, nuts, bolts and clips holding it all together is not that great and certainly not up to BMW standard. Also, I find the my car poorly designed for servicing, I have to remove plastic belly plate involving the removal of 11 torx bolts in order to drain the oil - there should be an oil service flap. The oil filter is awkwardly placed and various pipework has to be unbolted to give access. Changing bulbs at the front is extremely difficult and the fittings cheap and flimsy. Wiper motor - say no more. There seems to be many chronological variations of a similar engine suggesting that VAG rush them out and correct faults on the hoof.

19. AJ91

AJ91 Registered User

If you own newer VAG make sure you lease or are under the warranty mileage for Engine/electrical failures.

I sell mine once the mileage is over the warranty because I know how much it costs otherwise. My A5 has been flawless so far though. 2.0TDI Quattro.

I change car every 3 or 6 years.

Just my tip if you dont want to change brand.

20. paddy

paddy Registered User

Ha ha , just wait till the timing chain stretches and they charge you £4k to replace it...been there done that.

21. paddy

paddy Registered User

Agree, sorry to say but the service manager at my local Audi branch said the same thing. Never keep an audi out of warranty !!
    My S3 used no oil at all for 45k miles then started using a ltr every 1000 miles........Audi say that's withing tolerance. Well yes it might be but that's just because they don't want to fix it and will not admit there is a problem. My view is, great car just don't keep it out of warranty.

22. Jake 61

Not planning to be there or do that.
    Preventative maintenance is the way forward.

23. rbdazza

rbdazza Registered User

BMW are no better. When i bought my Audi I was originally looking for a 320d. Had a 530d before but wanted something more economical. The 2.0d by BMW of a similar age to my Audi are Renowned for chains snapping. The slightly older Audi was renowned for oil pump failure.

So I ended up opting for the CR Audi. Fingers crossed eh

24. paddy

paddy Registered User

and how do you prevent a faulty chain stretching ? mine went at 42k miles. It was a common problem on the 3.2. Audi USA and Audi Germany recalled a lot of them but Audi UK refused to accept their was a problem. It was all well documented on here, do a search, a few of us had real problems. It turned out in the end the chain manufacturer has stamped their logo to deep into the link plates and weakened them so they stretched, they lasted long enough while the tensioner took up the stretch but once that was done you started getting fault codes for cam position sensor.

25. Jake 61

I've had the car for more than two years. I have done all the research and from what I read, the problem only existed on engines before 2005. After that, there was a revised chain fitted.
    It's like everything else, if it goes, it goes.
    Right now at 96000 miles and scanned regularly, with 6000 mile oil changes, it's fine.
    Tomorrow, it might not be.
    It's still the best Audi I have had by a long way.

26. paddy

paddy Registered User

Ah yes well we agree on that. The 3.2 as a package was a lot better than my S3 to drive. I lived with both for 5 years and you really cant beat cc. and a v6.
    I always hate the way the S3 will not nip out in a gap in traffic as it seems to go nowhere for the first second while the turbo spools.

Jake 61 likes this.