What happens when you buy a car from Arnold Clark?

Wing Lun

A3 Sportback
Reaction score
When I retropectively look back, it was a good decision to buy this car because mechnically the car was sound, loads of optional extras, and the price was right. But the more times I handwash my car, the more I realise the paint work on my car is actually horrendous. I don't know who the previous owner was, but that person must have treated this car like ****, because front windscreen had been changed, all four alloys scuffed really badly, front bumped dented in, and the rear bumper had been damaged.

With all due respect, Arnold Clark did their "best" to repair the bodywork of the car, but under the sunlight, it was a failed attempt. You can look at the photos below at the bodywork, and how the rear bumper had been sprayed was terrrible. Sometimes I feel I want to source second-hand bumpers or find a decent paintshop to repair this, but is it worth it? And by the way, the second photo is when I went to Arnold Clark yesterday to replace the front reg plate and at the same time, told them to do me a favour and stick the rear plate more firmly because it wasn't sticking properly. Washed my car this morning, and guess what? Dropped off and now I'm annoyed!

My advice to those buying a car from AC is to thoroughly inspect the car you want to buy in terms of engine and bodywork. What I feel about AC is you're there to just buy the car itself, regardless of the damages so that's why the price is cheaper in the market. So I know that in the future, I won't buy a car from them, unless I am f***ing stupid :puke:

IMG 20190630 0908f221
IMG 20190630 090720

IMG 20180707 120119

Perhaps you should have had a snagging list about the faults and insisted they were rectified before you did the deal, they do want to sell the car and have repeat custom after all, there are plenty of alternative cars out there, walk away if not happy,
But you say you are happy with the deal you got, so happy motoring:racer:

You are right - car dealers are in business to sell secondhand cars. By definition they will probably have damage and it’s the buyers responsibility to check if any damage is acceptable.
Also - the fact that the windscreen had been changed doesn’t signify a careless driver.

Perhaps you should have had a snagging list about the faults and insisted they were rectified before you did the deal, they do want to sell the car and have repeat custom after all, there are plenty of alternative cars out there, walk away if not happy,
But you say you are happy with the deal you got, so happy motoring:racer:

It was delivered down from Glasgow and I was based in West Yorkshire, so at the time it was impossible to determine the current physical state of the car, only from photos and videos which looked appealing. They did rectify it a few times, such as dents and paintwork and that's the best they could do they said, so I thought just go with it. The flaking in the alloys were silly which happened a month after. Yes there were many alternatives, but to find one in monsoon grey and with decent specs had been difficult.

I learned to avoid "that company" many years ago when I bought a Saxo VTS and they refused to fix the quality problems with it. I have since checked the parent company of any garage I deal with to make sure there is no connection. Good priced cars though and if you don't have a problem its fine. Personally I would not let them touch my push bike.

Its been a while since you have bought the car so I would chalk it up to experience and move on. Get the defects fixed yourself or just ignore and continue to drive. Have you replaced the ditch finder tyres on the front? :)

Reactions: Wing Lun
We bought an 18 plate little run around from AC Sighthill Glasgow, delivered down to their "delivery centre" in Kent. (We're in Essex). I have to say that the end to end process was great. There was always the option of walking away at the delivery centre (& forfeiting the £80 delivery fee) and there was no service paperwork in the service book - but they printed off the electronic record, a badly fitting door trim was dealt with along with the first service at my local Toyota & AC covered all the costs of that (they agreed as it was due within 1,000 miles they should have done it).

If there had been issues like yours soon after delivery I would have played hard-ball - especially on those alloys - not good enough. Other than that, you have to inspect the cars closely and be prepared to walk away. Their prices are super cheap compared to anything down here in Essex - reckon i saved about £2,500.

I learned to avoid "that company" many years ago when I bought a Saxo VTS and they refused to fix the quality problems with it. I have since checked the parent company of any garage I deal with to make sure there is no connection. Good priced cars though and if you don't have a problem its fine. Personally I would not let them touch my push bike.

Its been a while since you have bought the car so I would chalk it up to experience and move on. Get the defects fixed yourself or just ignore and continue to drive. Have you replaced the ditch finder tyres on the front? :)

Thanks man appreciate it! Haha "ditch finder tyres" this is actually true...funnily enough it was only last Monday I changed both of them to Michelin PS4s, much better handling :yahoo:I found out which company repaired the alloys for Arnold Clark, and everytime I hear that name, I just shake my head in disgust :puke2:

We bought an 18 plate little run around from AC Sighthill Glasgow, delivered down to their "delivery centre" in Kent. (We're in Essex). I have to say that the end to end process was great. There was always the option of walking away at the delivery centre (& forfeiting the £80 delivery fee) and there was no service paperwork in the service book - but they printed off the electronic record, a badly fitting door trim was dealt with along with the first service at my local Toyota & AC covered all the costs of that (they agreed as it was due within 1,000 miles they should have done it).

If there had been issues like yours soon after delivery I would have played hard-ball - especially on those alloys - not good enough. Other than that, you have to inspect the cars closely and be prepared to walk away. Their prices are super cheap compared to anything down here in Essex - reckon i saved about £2,500.

Yes you are right, the delivery service was good I can't fault that, but when the car arrived on Saturday, they told me to pick up the car on Monday. But actually, I was too eager to see the car so I went on Saturday and guess what? When I saw the car, I couldn't believe my eyes, the damages that were there. I said this wasn't good enough to be sold in such a large motor dealership, it was embarassing! They said it was fine in their eyes for a three years old car, and I thought wow! Dents, bodywork damage, scuff in all four alloys oh my daze! Those alloys were repaired twice but three months later, it was still flaking so I thought there would be no point persisting on, so found another garage to do a better job.

It was delayed to be delivered to me, but I was glad because I hope they would have spent more time repairing further damages. To sum things up, it was repaired within their "budget" and I was satisified. Must have originally saved £2000 on the spec and mileage of the car at the time.

I think maybe it's just a regional thing, like other areas tend to provide a better service to a certain extent. But to anyone who's reading this, really really do inspect your car closely, in different angles, and direct under the sunlight. If you don't care much about the bodywork, just buy the car :thumbs up:

I have found that as soon as they have your money, they are not interested. I got ripped off when I bought the Audi.
Wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. They lied on several things to get the sale.

Take a positive from the plate falling off- now you can give it a good clean and get rid of all the crap that’s under it. I refitted mine with Velcro so I could remove it for cleaning occasionally.

Take a positive from the plate falling off- now you can give it a good clean and get rid of all the **** that’s under it. I refitted mine with Velcro so I could remove it for cleaning occasionally.

True, sometimes you gotta do things yourself to get the little things right damn :blink:

Are Arnold Clark any better or worse than other secondhand car dealers?
It's always been the same with used cars. You have a good look for cosmetic faults, listen for strange noises, sniff the oil and see how it drives. You then decide to buy for what you want to pay or or move on to the next.
You can't expect all used cars to be in 'brand new' condition then complain about cosmetic flaws once you've bought it.

Reactions: Wing Lun, AlS3BE, Phutters and 1 other person
Are Arnold Clark any better or worse than other secondhand car dealers?
Maybe......there is certainly a lot of evidence out there to support it, and I know some of it first hand. They didn't acquire the name Arnold Shark for nothing. :D
I believe there was actually a website called Arnold Shark at one time which reported all the negative feedback.
Then again they are massive and have more branches than pretty much anybody else, so will have their share of unhappy customers.
I wouldn't want to deal with them based on what I have heard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wing Lun and Pinky1959
I bought my car from AC becuase Audi wasnt interested in serving me when I pulled up in the car park driving a 04 plate Astra. AC have been great so far. I have the car delivered and it had knackered alloys and a few dents. AC sorted all that out for me and I have had a few small issues with the car and AC have said I can swap it for another if I like. Whilst its under warranty I hope I dont have to cause I love the car.