What happened to my car? Unlocking, alarm issue, fixed itself

AndreBCE

Reaction score
Hi,

Let me preface that ive had my 2003 audi a3 for less than a month, so im not very familiar with it.

So something strange happened:

I left work, and i couldn't unlock the car with the remote. The lock button worked, but not the unlock. Nothing new, had happened when i picked it up grom the garage, the guy just opened the key, was making bad contact with the batery. He pulled some pins, and it worked fine. So i figured id do the same, and it worked, it unlocked.

At this point, my friend tried locking and unlocking the car by manually inserting the key in the door (to see if it would turn on the alarm). Both windows rolled down, alarm was on, and he told me the key was rotating freely (not sure the wording, hope it makes sense). The remote also stopped working altogether.

At this point, car is unlocked, alarm on, windows down, cant manually lock the car. I turned on the ignition, alarm starts flaring, just so i can close the windows, and went to a key shop.

Keyshop says battery is a bit empty, but both lock and unlock buttons are emitting frequency. He said i might need to reconnect the keys to the car, need to turn on with some spare keys, put the keys i need to conmect on the keyhole, turn it and press lock. I don't have spare keys on me, and wont for a while (they never worked, the garage was trying to fix them).

Went back to the car, keys stil didnt workw , so i calledinsurancecomoany to ask for a truck to pick up the car, didnt want to drive with alarm flaring.

When i got home, i tried the remote again, didnt work still. I put the key in the keyhole, that was completely lose and turning freely. I tried turning it slowly, and pressing the lock button, and all of a sudden the keyhole felt like it "locked", could open and close manually. Tried the remote buttons, and they where working, so its is good as new.

Is my keyhole broken? Something got looose and by slowly turning thet key, it randomly fixed itselft? Then i dont understand the remote just working after that happened.

Was this some sort of safety device in the car?

When the alarm was going off why not do a main battery reset?