What Gatso detector?

The911SC

Reaction score
Hi All.
My Origin B2 has kind of biten the dust given the lead snapped and the subscription ran out (toal cost of £100!) so wanted to see what is worth getting now.
Dont want a nav specifically (I have rns-e) just gatso reminders..

Any suggestions? (micro pilot?)..

Do the jammers really work Mr Mac?

Oh yes, saved my licence (and the missus) as we were both on 9 points before we got real protection. TBH for me the jammer is more important than the fixed camera alert, as you've got to be quite stupid to get done on a fixed camera. All my points have been via mobile traps (with a couple of VASCARs thrown in for good measure, but not a lot you can do about those).

Yep, I'm with Andy on this - Road Angel are the boys for fixed camera stuff - their database is arguably the best and they almost never give false alerts. I hear Snooper's database is improved and their lifetime subscription deal is tempting but in my experience they get a little twitchy with false alerts.

As regards jammers, I've never used one myself but my old boss had a trick one on his Skyline which he would never be without. Saved his licence on numerous occassions. I'd definitley invest myself but I won 6 points all at once by VASCAR so I'm just taking it easy for a while now!

Andy, do the Target ones go to a stand-by mode automaticaly following an activation so they're harder to spot?

Regards,

Rob

hmmm. i have asked this question before and keep coming back to the origin B2 unit (which I have) thats supports target and laser...
Database seems spot on too so maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy a new lead!???

Go push the boat out, buy the cute little lead, lol

Ive got an Origin too and will argue FOnes point about Road Angel being the best!! ;)

I think in all honesty they are much the same with complete databases. I understand that both act pretty quickly on user reports for new sites, tho I have actually scored £50 from Origin for reporting one :)

Also, they had an offer of 3 years for about £160 I think at the end of last yearm which I got too... so its not costing me much.

The one thing about the Origin is that its not portable like the road angel, but then you dont have to stick with Tiffs annoying voice! ;)

Origin for me tho... Tidy compact unit with all thats needed and full range scans.

Jammers tho.... are illegal arent they??

Speeding tho..... is illegal isn't it?

Rob, yes the Target shuts down automatically 5 seconds after a trigger, but it also has a manual turn off hidden under the dash which I use as soon as I've corrected my speed.
As for laser alerts - well they're pretty pointless, just lets you know you've been done, so not really that helpful.

The new road angel professional is a lovely bit of kit. My pref has always been with road angels. Don't bother with anything that detects laser waste of time!

J.

why is it a waste of time J, andy has already said its been a lifesaver no?

hmmm. i have asked this question before and keep coming back to the origin B2 unit (which I have) thats supports target and laser...
Database seems spot on too so maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy a new lead!???

I found it very good as well and have had the subscription problems but its spot on regardless,buy the lead or upgrade (£250!)

why is it a waste of time J, andy has already said its been a lifesaver no?

He meant laser alerts, not laser jammers. Laser alert just tells you you've been zapped, laser jammer alerts you and jams the signal so they can't get a reading.

He meant laser alerts, not laser jammers. Laser alert just tells you you've been zapped, laser jammer alerts you and jams the signal so they can't get a reading.

As Andy (and marriedblonde) says, detection on its own is useless - Laser speed measurement systems give a reading on the gun instantly (well, as close to that as it gets) as the beam hits your car. In short, by the time the detector in your car has sent a beep to its speaker, the gun has some numbers on its display; so you've no time to adjust your speed.

The difference with a jammer is that while it's generating an alert to you that it's reacted to a laser, the gun typically gets 'Error' or its display, as opposed to some numbers which might land you in hot water. Then the jammer goes to sleep after giving you a few seconds to scrub-off some speed, and if the gun operator chooses to zap you again, he will get a reading.

The legality of them is questionable - I still don't think they've actually been made illegal; I think there were some test cases being done with odd charges like attempting to pervert the court of justice or some other thing like that, don't know what the outcome was though...

Anyway, as was said above, even if you get around the laser problem, there's no beating VASCAR - apart from perhaps using the more basic method - not exceeding the limit by too much...

Regards,

Rob.

You need one of those James Bond revolving number plates for the Vascar system

Laser jammers are excellent but I have been threatened with "perveting the course of justice" in the past so arent brave enough to use another one!

Pogo alert has been the best GPS detector so far. My previous 2 Road Angels became faulty 3 months after I subscribed to the lifetime subscription!!

pogo drive for me, had no probs with it at all....i am interested in these jammers tho :angrymod: how much am i looking to purchase one?