What engine for 2016 Audi A4

pred02

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for a secondhand A4 with manual. What is recommended engine - 1.4 TFSI, 2.0 TFSI 150 TDI or 190 TDI?

Most 2nd hand I see are 150 TDI are the underpowered? I feel like 1.4 TFSI are underpowered 2.0 TFSI rare and probably not fuel efficient. 190 TDI is also rare but might be a good match.

I am in London but I think 2016 are all ULEZ friendly.

Thanks

Personally I would say get a petrol engine car given the way the government has moved the goalpost in terms of diesel cars.

If however you're doing some heavy mileage on the motorway then I'd say get a diesel car instead.

Hi,

I am looking for a secondhand A4 with manual. What is recommended engine - 1.4 TFSI, 2.0 TFSI 150 TDI or 190 TDI?

Most 2nd hand I see are 150 TDI are the underpowered? I feel like 1.4 TFSI are underpowered 2.0 TFSI rare and probably not fuel efficient. 190 TDI is also rare but might be a good match.

I am in London but I think 2016 are all ULEZ friendly.

Thanks
Also I'd check on Autotrader for the 2016 versions. I think you'd find more from 2017 onwards especially with the 2 litre TFSI Models

I am finding very 2.0 TFSI in my budget <£14k much less with configuration (leather) and colour. This is where TDI opens the opportunity, but wanted to sanity check if I am crazy to be looking at Diesel and living in London now. My use cases: running around town and long road trips most likely not commuting.

I have a 2.0 tdi 190 quattro, it’s not rapid or very slow, however it’s faster than the average car on the motorway and never leaves me feeling like it’s sluggish. I also have a 300+ HP Mercedes.

mate has a 2.0 tdi 150 fwd. it’s not as fast, and can feel a tiny bit sluggish when overtaking but otherwise it’s fine. Biggest problem is with the front spinning up.

no experience with the 2.0 tfsi. However the 1.4 tfsi it’s okay, it’s spritely around town, but sluggish at higher speed. Around London your not going to do much mileage or speed I imagine...

Reactions: Mkay315
I am finding very 2.0 TFSI in my budget <£14k much less with configuration (leather) and colour. This is where TDI opens the opportunity, but wanted to sanity check if I am crazy to be looking at Diesel and living in London now. My use cases: running around town and long road trips most likely not commuting.
From the cars I've seen on sale most of them tend to be in Black colours. If you're looking for leather seats I'd go for the sports trim, the S Line trim it's rare you'd find a leather seat car in that trim. Also have you thought about going the Automatic route as well. (Again this is a suggestion)

I have a 2.0 tdi 190 quattro, it’s not rapid or very slow, however it’s faster than the average car on the motorway and never leaves me feeling like it’s sluggish. I also have a 300+ HP Mercedes.

mate has a 2.0 tdi 150 fwd. it’s not as fast, and can feel a tiny bit sluggish when overtaking but otherwise it’s fine. Biggest problem is with the front spinning up.

no experience with the 2.0 tfsi. However the 1.4 tfsi it’s okay, it’s spritely around town, but sluggish at higher speed. Around London your not going to do much mileage or speed I imagine...
I've seen the way those cars pull-away on the motorway and my goodness I was amazed. To think all these years I used to think the A4 B9 was cramped and when I sat in my friend's one and he drove it I was surprised by how spacious it is. That's the next car i'm looking to get after I'm done with my VW golf mk7. I would have got it this year but various things came up so I've had to hold off for now.

If you go diesel, also check the fuel tank size. My neighbour had a tdi 190 where the order sheet had not got ticked for the (free) 54litre tank upgrade, to do with emissions. Some diesels have something like a 40 litre tank iirc and they tend to be cheaper apparently...

I know some TDIs come with 24l Ad Blue. Not sure what that is how does it work in conjunction with the DPF?

If you have a Quattro OR 3.0 tdi it will have a bigger fuel tank as standard; a 56L vs a 40L

tbh even the 56L one is annoying as have to fuel it every week or two.

I know some TDIs come with 24l Ad Blue. Not sure what that is how does it work in conjunction with the DPF?
Not sure but I think Adblue was introduced post 2016. If your not commuting then the choice of petrol or diesel probably comes down to your annual mileage. If it is low, say 10,000 miles or less, then a petrol might be more suitable as the difference in fuel costs will be marginal. As you can see by my sig I have one of those rare 2.0tfsi's and in mixed motoring, without driving like the throttle is an on off switch, my mpg isn't far behind that of a 190ps diesel. Having driven both what irritated me about the diesel was the increased turbo lag, the diesel drone and rattle, vibrations passed through to the controls and the smell when it gets on your hands. Plus there is also the dpf regeneration to take into account. The engine and drivechain in mine is amongst one of the quietest, refined and smoothest of any car I have driven...

Yup. I see some cars come with the 54l option with the Diesel and the Ad Blue. If I have Ad Blue do I still have the DPF?

Reactions: cuke2u
Hi, not sure if it's too late but thought I'd way in here as I recently bought a 2016 A4, also manual.

So mine is a December 16 (66 plate), was looking for a manual only and ideally a black edition but couldn't find one at the time so went for an Ultra and will get it wrapped soon. Compared to my black edition, I didn't think I'd ever say this but I love the ultra much more. So good on the motorway compared to the BE and good power. It's a strong engine and they don't tend to let you down (others will agree mostly, as with anything though there are exceptions).

My annual mileage is probably at least 15k so the ultra seemed a good idea. Leather seats, more interior lighting/extras, sunroof, MMI is the top of the range so big screen etc. Fuel consumption surprisingly good. Road tax £20 and I believe it is ULEZ if you live London.

As for power, 190 is perfect I believe. I think 150 would be fine if you weren't too fussy and for financial ease but if you had the chance for a 190, my advice would be on that. Good in town for overtaking and on the motorway it really flies! Take this from me who regularly manages to get from Cornwall to the Scottish border in under 4.5hrs and still average about 60mpg. I've had lots of fun keeping up with M2's on the motorway (obviously they could leave me sitting if they wished), but realistically on the motorway you likely won't be going over 100mph and so 190bhp is pretty much perfect.

It's really comfortable. I regularly travel more than 600 miles in a day (stopping only for fuel once for 30 mins) so this is important. Even these long journeys I dreaded initially but I actually look forward to them now. It's like being in a nice hotel room just sitting and relaxing really! Compared to my old A4 black edition - that thing was terrible on motorways and physically gave me back/hip pain after 2hrs on a number of occasions.

Overall, if you do reasonable mileage, go for the diesel. I really wouldn't see the point if it's only in town. I drive maybe 5 miles a week sometimes but then other weeks it's 1200 miles over 2 days so it averages out well for me! If you go for the diesel and you're able to, get the 190. Good fuel consumption, good power, good comfort. In town it does chug diesel, but longer journeys it costs me around £60 maximum to cover 600 miles. Pretty good in my book.

Happy to answer any other questions. Sorry if this was long, just want to help as I know the pain of finding the perfect vehicle for your needs! :)

Hi, not sure if it's too late but thought I'd way in here as I recently bought a 2016 A4, also manual.

So mine is a December 16 (66 plate), was looking for a manual only and ideally a black edition but couldn't find one at the time so went for an Ultra and will get it wrapped soon. Compared to my black edition, I didn't think I'd ever say this but I love the ultra much more. So good on the motorway compared to the BE and good power. It's a strong engine and they don't tend to let you down (others will agree mostly, as with anything though there are exceptions).

My annual mileage is probably at least 15k so the ultra seemed a good idea. Leather seats, more interior lighting/extras, sunroof, MMI is the top of the range so big screen etc. Fuel consumption surprisingly good. Road tax £20 and I believe it is ULEZ if you live London.

As for power, 190 is perfect I believe. I think 150 would be fine if you weren't too fussy and for financial ease but if you had the chance for a 190, my advice would be on that. Good in town for overtaking and on the motorway it really flies! Take this from me who regularly manages to get from Cornwall to the Scottish border in under 4.5hrs and still average about 60mpg. I've had lots of fun keeping up with M2's on the motorway (obviously they could leave me sitting if they wished), but realistically on the motorway you likely won't be going over 100mph and so 190bhp is pretty much perfect.

It's really comfortable. I regularly travel more than 600 miles in a day (stopping only for fuel once for 30 mins) so this is important. Even these long journeys I dreaded initially but I actually look forward to them now. It's like being in a nice hotel room just sitting and relaxing really! Compared to my old A4 black edition - that thing was terrible on motorways and physically gave me back/hip pain after 2hrs on a number of occasions.

Overall, if you do reasonable mileage, go for the diesel. I really wouldn't see the point if it's only in town. I drive maybe 5 miles a week sometimes but then other weeks it's 1200 miles over 2 days so it averages out well for me! If you go for the diesel and you're able to, get the 190. Good fuel consumption, good power, good comfort. In town it does chug diesel, but longer journeys it costs me around £60 maximum to cover 600 miles. Pretty good in my book.

Happy to answer any other questions. Sorry if this was long, just want to help as I know the pain of finding the perfect vehicle for your needs! :)
Not at all. The more knowledge the merrier, also for myself I'm looking to get the S Line TFSI trim however as I now have a bit of time on my hands to sort out other things I'm debating as to whether I should get the 2018 version or the 2019 version (pre facelift). I slyly like the 2019 plate version because of the way the exhaust pipes look like. If it has virtual cockpit in it as well then it would be a bonus.

I have the 66 plate 2.0 190 tfsi 6 speed sline 47k miles.
Into my last 6 months on PCP, my dilemma, as many before is to keep or swap.
Currently in discussion with local dealer about my next purchase, I doubt it will be into the newer A4, they no longer do the 190 variant in 6 speed, only as 150 6 speed
The car i test drove, 150 auto (not A4), didnt make me smile, as this car does when pressing the go pedal a little bit harder.

Yup. I see some cars come with the 54l option with the Diesel and the Ad Blue. If I have Ad Blue do I still have the DPF?

All B9 diesels use AdBlue, which is either a 12 or 24 litre tank I believe. The 40 litre fuel tank is standard on non-quattro 4 cylinder diesels and has the 12 litre AdBlue tank. The optionally fitted 54 litre fuel tank always comes with the 24 litre AdBlue tank. AdBlue is easily available now in containers or via pump too and is very easy to fill up. Don't let that put you off.

Another thumbs up for the 190 TDI engine with Stronic transmission. Very quiet and refined (~1600rpm @ 80mph in 7th) no engine noise at normal speeds at all, no vibration whatsoever through controls, pulls well when needed, economical too for the size of engine and car. I'm sure the 150 is similar but for longer journeys I would go for the 190.

However, if you're doing more urban driving and low mileage then a petrol is perhaps the better option.

I have the 66 plate 2.0 190 tfsi 6 speed sline 47k miles.
Into my last 6 months on PCP, my dilemma, as many before is to keep or swap.
Currently in discussion with local dealer about my next purchase, I doubt it will be into the newer A4, they no longer do the 190 variant in 6 speed, only as 150 6 speed
The car i test drove, 150 auto (not A4), didnt make me smile, as this car does when pressing the go pedal a little bit harder.
From what you said would you say that the 2 Litre 150PS Auto is a bit underpowered compared to the 190PS version?

From what you said would you say that the 2 Litre 150PS Auto is a bit underpowered compared to the 190PS version?
The Q3 I test drove wasn't the 2l 150 engine, it was a 1.5 150 so it is not a fair comparison...

The Q3 I test drove wasn't the 2l 150 engine, it was a 1.5 150 so it is not a fair comparison...
Oh I see. I didn't know those type of engines existed on the Q3 for such a big car like that.

I don’t know which engine is right for your circs, but for what it’s worth I can only say positive things about the 2.0 litre tfsi 190. Others will tell you the same: it’s smooth, quiet, very powerful and surprisingly economical. I think it’s a fantastic power unit and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed driving it. I dislike diesel and would never choose it over petrol, even in spite of the better fuel economy, but I don’t cover the miles to warrant diesel anyway. If you can get 40+ mpg from a petrol engine on a run, why would you go diesel?

Oh I see. I didn't know those type of engines existed on the Q3 for such a big car like that.
I had a Q2 as a loaner this with the same 2.0l 150ps engine, heaps of turbo lag, you could hear it rattling and there was an unpleasant drone to it too. Much the same as my experiences with the diesel 190ps engine in the A4, and I have driven more than one B9. The q2 also felt lacking compared to the sprightly engine in mine...

A Q3 is tiny! It’s just an A3 on stilts, I had a 19 plate bmw x1 1.5 m sport last year. It was horrible ! Tiny silly car! I’m sure the Q3 is the same

I had a Q2 as a loaner this with the same 2.0l 150ps engine, heaps of turbo lag, you could hear it rattling and there was an unpleasant drone to it too. Much the same as my experiences with the diesel 190ps engine in the A4, and I have driven more than one B9. The q2 also felt lacking compared to the sprightly engine in mine...
I'm actually surprised that for a car like the Q2 it was lacking in the turbo. You'd think that type of car would have a lot of grunt in it to pull-away.