What else is needed...?

Adrian mccoll

Reaction score
hi guys

Planning on getting the s3 8l on the ramp next weekend to fit some parts and want to know if any other parts are needed/advised to be changed.
Im fitting h&r lowering springs and bilstein shortened shocks. Want to know if I need adjustable tie bars ? New top mounts ?
Any other bushes etc ?

And fitting newly refurbed lcr brembos, I have the calipers, new discs, new pads and new fluid. I presume I need different lines for this ? Anything else ?

Plan on changing arbs to r32 at a later date if possible or does it need to be done on same day as springs/shocks ?

Thanks

Top mounts and bearings (they come separate) tend to be worn so if you don't know they have been changed its a good idea to do those at the same time... the usual options are std top mounts, LCR versions (bit more expensive but are harder rubber) or powerflex

Adjustable tie bars for the rear is advisable as lowering the rear of the car increase toe in and camber causing premature tyre wear... you can of course go for an will need a 4 wheel alignment anyway after doing the work but tie bars fitted to the bottom will help with pulling toe back to where it should be... there may not be enough adjustment to get toe correct otherwise and running too much camber on the rear is not fantastic for handling...

ARB's can be fitted afterwards but bare in mind that the front ARB requires the front subframe to be dropped/removed... never tried fitting a front ARB by dropping the subframe though as I suspect you would need to get it lower than the steering rack would allow... in which case you need to unbolt the rack anyway... plus due to the thickness of the front ARB you cannot do the drivers side ARB clamp up fully as you have to lift the ARB up a bit to allow the rack mounts locating sleeve to seat in the subframe...

I have pictures of all this in my thread
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/my-minor-modding-thread.76389/page-70#post-2260091

Fitting H&R springs..
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/my-minor-modding-thread.76389/page-85#post-2875879

<tuffty/>

Thanks for that tuffty,
Which top mounts are the recommended/most popular ? Do you have part numbers for them and bearings by any chance ??
And again which tie bars are most popular the cookbots?

Tuffty do you have the part number for the rear spring rubber locator top mount thingy mentioned in your h&r spring thread ? Is there anything on the bottom of the spring to replace aswell ? Not sure how they locate ?
Thanks

Also when changing rear arb to r32 would you use new oem bushes or poly ?
And are different drop links needed or standards fine ? Using billy b8’s and h&r 25mm springs

Part numbers for stuff can be found here...
https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a3+s3+sportb+lim+qu/a3/2001-209/

I used poly bushes on mine but you can use OE if you want... part numbers should be available by going to the VW catalogue of 7zap but there are a few numbers IIRC so was easier to go for poly's as finding the right part was easier

Standard drops links are fine...

<tuffty/>