What Else Do I Need to Retrofit OEM Xenon???

StagsyA4

Reaction score
Hi guys!

As the title says really.

I am in the process of buying some OEM Xenons for my car. They are complete headlights with the bulbs and ballasts.

What else do I need to get these to work?

Cheers

I've heard this is a big job. Certainly not just plug-n-play.

You will need the washers and the sensors for the self-levelling in order to make them work properly (and for them to be strictly legal).

I'd guess that you'll need some additional wiring as the dipped and main beam are the same bulb on the xenons, but seperate on the halogens.

Also the xenons have DRLs and the halogens don't.

They will certainly need re-coding with vag-com too.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

I've finally got my xenons! Just need to fit them now!

I've got the headlights, ignitor packs, bulbs etc. I've also got the Xenon/HID Curve light - Adapter leads.

Is there anything else I need? I've been looking on the Kufatec site and it looks like I could do with the Auto-Leveling Headlights Harness too.

Could someone please confirm this? Also, if I do need this, when ordering would I select Bi-Xenon or Curve Light as I am sure my headlights are not Bi-Xenon, they just have the one projector etc.

Cheers guys

Depends on your headlights you've bought what you have to install cause there's number of things to consider, whats the part numbers then can check etka & answer accordingly, I have answered load of info on the 8P section which is very similar to the B7 bixenon given I did the bixenon adaptive upgrade.

Reactions: iucle
OK NHN i'll get the part numbers tonight and let you know! Cheers for your help mate!

Depends on your headlights you've bought what you have to install cause there's number of things to consider, whats the part numbers then can check etka & answer accordingly, I have answered load of info on the 8P section which is very similar to the B7 bixenon given I did the bixenon adaptive upgrade.

OK there are various numbers on the lights.

There is: PL 00 DCR 00 RL (this is on both headlights)
There is: 8E0 941 004 AN (on the right headlight)
and: 8E0 941 003 AN (on the left headlight)

Does this make any sense?

cheers

Yeah 8E0 part would be the one I need to check in etka, get back to you asap fella.

Been superseded by 8E0941030 AT & 029 AT, but yours will be fine as they're bixenons, they arent adaptives/curved

Bixenons use a motorised lense adjuster/flap to give you the dipped/main beam, its not 2 lights fella.

If you want the auto leveling system you'd need the looms for sensors, sensors themselves which are usually 2 of, 1 on each axle & the leveling control module, although it shows in etka the control module in 2 places, maybe it uses 1 for the rear sensor & 1 for the front sensor which is strange as the 8P & others use same systems for auto levelling & use only one module for both sensors, a check in elsawin would confirm this anyway

Do you have the headlight washing system already & do you have the manual motorised beam height adjustment?

Reactions: iucle
I don't have the headlight washer system (i know it's not legal without this but...) and yeah I currently have the manual motorised beam height adjustment.

Would I still require the Auto-Levelling Harness from Kufatec or will it work with the manual motorised height adjustment?

Nah best bet is to completely disable/disconnect the manual adjustment & use completely new looms for the install, so need to no doubt unplug from headlight switch & trace through where wires are on other ends, so no electrical issues later on, requirement for elsawin mate.

Nah best bet is to completely disable/disconnect the manual adjustment & use completely new looms for the install, so need to no doubt unplug from headlight switch & trace through where wires are on other ends, so no electrical issues later on, requirement for elsawin mate.

Sorry pal you've lost me .

So should I get the new loom from Kufatec then? What is elsawin?

Is this do-able by myself or is it best to get someone who knows what they are doing?

Plus, will I need VAG com once all is installed?

Cheers

Hi
Did you manage to get them fitted and if so do you have a write up?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi
Did you manage to get them fitted and if so do you have a write up?

Thanks.

Hi mate, long story but yeah, got them fitted (by a third party garage), only to find that they kept flickering and then going out after about 30 seconds of being on!

I think the ballasts could be on their way out, or the bulbs! Not had chance to get round to it yet.

Pretty gutted tbh. I do plan to get on the case very soon, just been very busy these past few months (move abroad etc).

Will post up (hopefully) when all is done!

Cheers

I'm just about to start this world of pain also! I have a 2007 B7, I have a mint pair or Bi-Xenons complete, but a also have a pair of active bi-xenons with curve unfortunately one is missing a ballast. after much contemplation I'm deciding to give the standard Bi-xenons a try for 2 reasons mostly, 1 the headlights are in as new condition & th ecurve lights have a couple of marks and secondly it's one less thing to try and get working!

I'll let you know how I get on, I'm jut waiting for the Kufatec harnes to arrive

Thanks

Hedley

So will you be selling the curve lights? Having two sets is just greedy!!! :)

It's been a while!

So far I have installed the Xenon headlamps, installed the Kufatec adapter harness and run the 2 control wires for the high beam into the plugs under the footwell, and re-coded the electronics with VAG-COM. Apart from auto levelling (and manual) everything else works, indicators, DRL, Xenons high & low. I have purchased a new front bumper with headlamp wash and this is being sprayed as we speak, the next jop is to swap out the parking sensors with the new bumper, with the washers and caps, install the new lower half of the washer bottle and connect to the washer jets, I think I have also found the cable path and locations forthe headlamp washer jets, there is a 12V outlet that the ECU puts current to every 4th headlamp wash for a second. Once I have all that completed, I'm then going to try and retrofit the front & rear axle sensors for the Xenon auto levelling!
I would say this is not for the faint hearted but it's not impossible either, if you try it allocate a whole day! It took me the best part of 5 hours to do what I have done so far, there was a lot of double checking etc and was generally pretty slow as I went along and I had a friend with me to help take the bumper off etc without scratching it etc
Unfortunately I did not take pics, but when everything comes apart again for the bumper, sensor & washer bottle retrofit I'll try to take some then.

Yes I could quite possibly have active Bi-Xenons for sale but one is missing a ballast

Cheers

Sounds good, I really want Xenon's so I'll have to start trawling through ebay for a while!

Put up some pics of the finished article when you done.

Hi guys. Sorry for bumping thread but I'm in the same harness as you... I've bought bi-xenon with LED DRLs. Currently I have standard halogen lights with manual leveling (knob in cockpit). Can I connect them just with Kufatec's adapter? I know you guys hate that, but I will install the autoleveling harness later...

It's been a while!

So far I have installed the Xenon headlamps, installed the Kufatec adapter harness and run the 2 control wires for the high beam into the plugs under the footwell, and re-coded the electronics with VAG-COM. Apart from auto levelling (and manual) everything else works, indicators, DRL, Xenons high & low. I have purchased a new front bumper with headlamp wash and this is being sprayed as we speak, the next jop is to swap out the parking sensors with the new bumper, with the washers and caps, install the new lower half of the washer bottle and connect to the washer jets, I think I have also found the cable path and locations forthe headlamp washer jets, there is a 12V outlet that the ECU puts current to every 4th headlamp wash for a second. Once I have all that completed, I'm then going to try and retrofit the front & rear axle sensors for the Xenon auto levelling!
I would say this is not for the faint hearted but it's not impossible either, if you try it allocate a whole day! It took me the best part of 5 hours to do what I have done so far, there was a lot of double checking etc and was generally pretty slow as I went along and I had a friend with me to help take the bumper off etc without scratching it etc
Unfortunately I did not take pics, but when everything comes apart again for the bumper, sensor & washer bottle retrofit I'll try to take some then.

Yes I could quite possibly have active Bi-Xenons for sale but one is missing a ballast

Cheers

Hi

Im currently doing the same retrofit. where exactly in the footwell would you plug in the control wires for the high beam.

Thanks

Hi

Im currently doing the same retrofit. where exactly in the footwell would you plug in the control wires for the high beam.

Thanks
Hi could someone please help me with where the 2 wires should go that run off the conversion adapter. I know they go into the control module but not sure where. Headlights installed, only work on side lights but are very dim. I know they'll need coded but if someone could help with the whereabouts of these 2 wires for my audi a3 2010 1.6 tdi sline please. david-dignon@hotmail.co.uk if yous could help. Thanks