What else can it be?

Buster

Reaction score
Still having a problem with knocking at the front.

So far the following has been replaced, both front shockers, ARB bushes, wish bone bushes and today the ARB links were done to no avail. It has been to the dealer 3 times and an indy once.

Anyone else have any other parts it could be.

is it all the time, or under acceleration, when braking etc ?

It's going over speed bumps and uneven road surfaces.

could be the exhaust knocking ?

Ball joints?
Loose caliper?
Are front arms tight?
Had a problem with my mk2 golf years ago, in that a captive nut that had come loose in the chassis meaning I couldn't tighten my front arm properly.

Just some thoughts

@ Buster I know this is from October last year but I have the same problem :(

Do the ARB's today but the noise is still there?

Did you find out what it was?

I'm looking at doing the top mounts next :think:

Yes just been looking through loads of old threads ;)

Top mounts it is then next on the list :)

Topmounts, droplinks arb bushes, wishbone bushes - ****** strut.....

I have done the Arb's & bushes & the droplinks ;)

Top mounts getting done soon!

S3 Andy - I have what sounds like the same problem ('06 Sportback) Have already had the strut / shock replaced. Went back to dealer yesterday & technician was 99% sure it was the Strut mount / bearing, however when they stripped it they couldn't find anything wrong. They greased everything and told me it was cured, however as soon as I drove the car I realised the noise was still there - so my car's back in today - still no further forward!! I'm concerned they aren't going to get to the bottom of this. Let me know how you get on.

and another +1 had mine done Fountain as I had the same front knocking issue.

@ Burt25 I went to the VW dealer and got the top mounts but I'm sure it's not that(Have not fitted them)

You can hear the noise from outside the car if I drive 2ft backwards & forwards and over bumps or when slowing down.

The noise (sounds like when you crack your knuckles) is in the wheel area so it looks like it's lower arms/bushes?

It's booked into Hatfield Audi next Monday morning so I'll let you know what they say ;)

S3Andy said:
@ Burt25 I went to the VW dealer and got the top mounts but I'm sure it's not that(Have not fitted them)

You can hear the noise from outside the car if I drive 2ft backwards & forwards and over bumps or when slowing down.

The noise (sounds like when you crack your knuckles) is in the wheel area so it looks like it's lower arms/bushes?

It's booked into Hatfield Audi next Monday morning so I'll let you know what they say ;)

Andy, I picked my car up from the dealers this afternoon and it appears that the noise is gone - they replaced the anti-roll bar bushes - aparently one of them was very slightly worn. - Hope you get yours sorted. - I waould ask them to check the ARB bushes first as I believe they are easily replaced.

I had the ARB's and the bushes replaced last week ;)

It's going in Monday so I hope to find out what it is then!

S3Andy said:
I had the ARB's and the bushes replaced last week ;)

It's going in Monday so I hope to find out what it is then!

Who did you speak to down there??

same problem here with my a3. Im waiting to see what your answer is so i can try it. i dont wana throw money at things and it not be sorted.

A3-frankie said:
same problem here with my a3. Im waiting to see what your answer is so i can try it. i dont wana throw money at things and it not be sorted.

Yes I know the feeling :(

I just had all my ARB's replaced and I still have the noise.

Monday I should have the answer :icon_thumright:

Ok it's the bottom are joint (Ball joint £33 each)

Top mounts have a bit of play so as I already have them they will be fitted also ;)

Audi Hatfield want £350 for 3 hours fitting so it's book into a local garage to be don on Wednesday :icon_thumright:

I hope that will be the end of my creaking :jump:

S3Andy said:
Ok it's the bottom are joint (Ball joint £33 each)

Top mounts have a bit of play so as I already have them they will be fitted also ;)

Audi Hatfield want £350 for 3 hours fitting so it's book into a local garage to be don on Wednesday :icon_thumright:

I hope that will be the end of my creaking :jump:

Well I hope it solves the creaking!

Good luck and keep us posted, got mine booked in with local garage next week and was thinking of strut mounts while it was in!

Fingers crossed!:tapedshut:

Well just to let you all know I had the top mounts and lower arm joints fitted today and I still have the noise :motz:

Anyone want to buy an S3 :wacko:

I have replaced the front & rear ARB's & bushes the top mounts & lower arm joints & front pads & discs which has cost about £700!

Help............................................................... :tumble:

ive got this same noise, more of a rattlely kind of knock LOL!!

my mate at VW said the top mounts needed doing 6months ago when he was servicing it but i never got round to doing it...
dont want to do what some of you guys have done and start replacing things that dont need replacing!!

suppose we could all have different problems...

Try gearbox engine mount. all may look tight but the bolts can break and be seized in there but not actually doing anything. especially noticeable on heavy braking as a loud cracking / twanging noise!

Well the car was in with Audi again todaly and it's another £300 and new wishbones and bushes!

My car better drive like a dream tomorrow..........OR ELSE :gun2:

RESULT :icon_thumright:

Wishbones & bushes replaced and now it fine :rockwoot:

4 wheel alignment tomorrow!

S3Andy said:
RESULT :icon_thumright:

Wishbones & bushes replaced and now it fine :rockwoot:

4 wheel alignment tomorrow!

Well congratulations , good to hear its solved!

Wishbones & bushes, was that costly?

thats not too bad at all, just bought drivers side wishbone and two front cv gaitors (spelling?) and it cos me £120.
But my old man said he'll fit them so its free...thank god.
Rang up one place and they said £270 just to fit them.
*******...thats way too much!

I discovered a knocking noise this morning too...sounds expensive to cure :s

Wouldnt worry about it too much, if its wishbone bushes you dont have to replace the full thing, its just a pain in the *** to do the bushes alone - most of the other parts mentioned cost not alot if you can do the work yourself too

Cheers, Going to take it to Quattronics in Lincoln if they ever answer the phone :)