What Drive Select Mode do you most often use

AdamInKent

Reaction score
Hi all.
So, I’m picking up a new A3 in a couple of days and was wondering which Drive Select mode people use most often once you get over the novelty? Do you just leave it in Auto and let the car manage itself?

(Sorry of this has already been asked a dozen times, I couldn’t find anything with a quick search.)

Economy. Cos I am a tight wad.

And the fact I am on 10p a mile from work

Just need to figure out how I can claim for the other 35p from HMRC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Peter Peter and AdamInKent
Economy. Cos I am a tight wad.

And the fact I am on 10p a mile from work

Just need to figure out how I can claim for the other 35p from HMRC

I don’t like the economy on the s-tronic box as when you are coasting it disengages the engine and sits at idle and it’s un-nerving, causes the car to run away as there is no engine braking.

no likey, will be different story on a manual though

Reactions: Audi Bairn and AdamInKent
Dynamic all the time. I've got magride suspension. Going from comfort to dynamic is so subtle. Pretty pointless. Even in dynamic the ride is soft and wallowing. Steering is too light and vague whilst straight on in comfort. Engine wise I'm stage 2 APR so no real need for engine changes between modes. Also a manual, so no gearbox difference. In my opinion the drive select is a waste of time. The S3 is not a hot hatch. Its a shopping cart with a decent boot. Spent a few quid to get it to where its acceptable, but still very lacking. Shame I can't afford to move on.

Reactions: AdamInKent
Dynamic all the time. I've got magride suspension. Going from comfort to dynamic is so subtle. Pretty pointless. Even in dynamic the ride is soft and wallowing. Steering is too light and vague whilst straight on in comfort. Engine wise I'm stage 2 APR so no real need for engine changes between modes. Also a manual, so no gearbox difference. In my opinion the drive select is a waste of time. The S3 is not a hot hatch. Its a shopping cart with a decent boot. Spent a few quid to get it to where its acceptable, but still very lacking. Shame I can't afford to move on.
Of course the S3 is a hot hatch. Never heard as much nonsense in my life!

Reactions: John Pilkington
Of course the S3 is a hot hatch. Never heard as much nonsense in my life!
Audi S3 8v is a sports hatch at best in my opinion. A golf gti is the epitome of the definition of a typical hot hatch. Not a five door hatch back with some power. Just my opinion! Everyone is entitled to there own. Your entitled to berate anyone who's views differ from your own. That's why we're on an open forum.

Last edited:
The S3 is not a hot hatch. Its a shopping cart with a decent boot. Spent a few quid to get it to where its acceptable, but still very lacking. Shame I can't afford to move on.
I do not agree with that statement one bit but each to their own as everyone is entitled to an opinion :sadlike:

@Leevr me too regarding the steering as Comfort setting is way over assistive and you feel so disconnected from the vehicle.

I run Individual setting in Driver Select so the steering can be set permanently to Dynamic. I think all my other settings are Auto but I'll have to check as it was a set and forget shortly after buying the car.

Reactions: AdamInKent and Audi Bairn
Audi S3 8v is a sports hatch at best in my opinion. A golf gti is the epitome of the definition of a typical hot hatch. Not a five door hatch back with some power. Just my opinion! Everyone is entitled to there own. Your entitled to berate anyone who's views differ from your own. That's why we're on an open forum.
So an S3 is a sports hatch and a GTI is a hot hatch? Even though the S3 has 300bhp and the Golf 245bhp, the Golf is hotter than the sporty S3

so what about a 5 door golf GTI?

sorry but your logic makes ZERO sense

Reactions: John Pilkington
So an S3 is a sports hatch and a GTI is a hot hatch? Even though the S3 has 300bhp and the Golf 245bhp, the Golf is hotter than the sporty S3

so what about a 5 door golf GTI?

sorry but your logic makes ZERO sense
Its not always about power and doors? Golf started off as a 3 door. 3 door s3 is a hatch 5 door is a sportback. We could go round in circles. Suffice to say it my opinion. You clearly don't like it and that's fine. Let's move on and agree to disagree.

On a long cruise motorway run I stick it on eco mode, but when I’m at home and driving around town it’s always in dynamic. They’re the only two modes I use.

3 door hatchbacks are also DEAD but thats another subject.
They’ll be back. My first 8L S3 was only available in 3dr form. Now they’re only available in 5dr form. What goes around, comes around. Humans are fickle and the grass is always greener. I’m lucky I managed to get one of the last 3dr models. No more S3s after this one for me.

Last edited:
On a long cruise motorway run I stick it on eco mode, but when I’m at home and driving around town it’s always in dynamic. They’re the only two modes I use.

They’ll be back. My first 8L S3 was only available in 3dr form. Now they’re only available in 5dr form. What goes around, comes around. Humans are fickle and the grass is always greener. I’m lucky I managed to get one of the last 3dr models. No more S3s after this one for me.
They won’t the cars have got that big now the 3doors don’t look right.
The cars are that big the doors end up huge.

i don’t think they will be back

Just checked & I run these Individual settings all the time from pootling around to motorway cruising. I will add that I've coded the exhaust flaps open permanently so they are open in D or S when driving.
20210316 140909

I leave everything in the Auto setting except under the following circumstances. If I’m on a steep hill I use the paddles to hold a gear and on a long motorway run I change to comfort mode and switch on all the driver assist features.

Efficiency
Hi all.
So, I’m picking up a new A3 in a couple of days and was wondering which Drive Select mode people use most often once you get over the novelty? Do you just leave it in Auto and let the car manage itself?

(Sorry of this has already been asked a dozen times, I couldn’t find anything with a quick search.)
Efficiency -> :D
Comfort -> :neutral:
Auto - > :grimacing:
Dynamic -> :fearscream:

I don’t like the economy on the s-tronic box as when you are coasting it disengages the engine and sits at idle and it’s un-nerving, causes the car to run away as there is no engine braking.

That's complete untrue... I love coasting as it saves fuel little bit and it absolutely do not runs away.. I coasting a lot and my car slows down very fast so I have to step on the throttle or enable cruise.. I do coasting only downhill obviously and when i see red lights in distance ...
It disengages engine of course but not your brakes tho...

They won’t the cars have got that big now the 3doors don’t look right.
The cars are that big the doors end up huge.

i don’t think they will be back

Neither do I. People are also getting fatter. No way do I want to squeeze my portly rear into a three door back seat. Cars are also bigger and parking spaces are the same size. Getting out of a 3 door becomes a problem for most

1.4 cod for me in a manual. Very little engine braking when in 2 cylinder mode

That's complete untrue... I love coasting as it saves fuel little bit and it absolutely do not runs away.. I coasting a lot and my car slows down very fast so I have to step on the throttle or enable cruise.. I do coasting only downhill obviously and when i see red lights in distance ...
It disengages engine of course but not your brakes tho...
Well it’s not true you do lose engine braking so it’s not “completely untrue”

i don’t like the sensation thats all.

when you are learning to drive you are not allowed to “coast” as it is deemed you are not in control of a motor vehicle.

Most of the time it’s individual with everything set to dynamic except suspension which is set to comfort. Lots of potholes round me.

Motorway it’s usually in eco with cruise control.

When I’m going for it I put it in full dynamic.

Reactions: Peter Peter and AdamInKent
Well it’s not true you do lose engine braking so it’s not “completely untrue”

i don’t like the sensation thats all.

when you are learning to drive you are not allowed to “coast” as it is deemed you are not in control of a motor vehicle.
You don't do engine braking on automatic bro ;) it does auto gears changes ... You breaking with engine if u have manual ... PEACE
Well, everything is allowed what is available on the car.. That's not rocket science nicely coasting and gently pressing brake pedal ... simple ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Most of the time it’s individual with everything set to dynamic except suspension which is set to comfort. Lots of potholes round me.

Motorway it’s usually in eco with cruise control.

When I’m going for it I put it in full dynamic.
Really ? So it does help suspension protection in comfort?
I tried individual but never felt any difference.. Really didn't understand combination of steering and quattro and engine gearbox .. how it makes difference?

You don't do engine braking on automatic bro ;) it does auto gears changes ... You breaking with engine if u have manual ... PEACE
Well, everything is allowed what is available on the car.. That's not rocket science nicely coasting and gently pressing brake pedal ... simple ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well it’s an un-nerving feature and can catch you out bro.
Just saying Peter lad