What don't you like about your A3

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Obviously we all love our A3s otherwise would not have purchased one, but what, if any, is the one thing you DISLIKE about it.

In my case I have to say, even after driving mine for 9 months I am still not that keen on the MMI system. When I was looking to change I drove several Golf VIIs as well as several A3s and I have to say I personally preferred the buttons and touch screen on the VW system. I know a lot of people love the MMI but I much prefer the touch screen setup. I never use the MMI when I'm actually driving and never have a phone switched on in the car and rarely play the radio or any music. I really only use the MMI for changing the setups.

Please DON'T turn this thread into an 'MMI is best and a touch screen is rubbish' because I know which I personally prefer and I fully respect other peoples views on this. In my case the A3 won the choice between it and a Golf VII because the A3 offered more of what I wanted in so many other ways than the Golf.

I am interested to hear if they are things which, whilst you love your A3, there is one thing that you dislike about it.

Reactions: JohnM100
I don't have an S3 yet (waiting till March) but from what I hear so far:

- The 1800-3000rpm rattle noise?
- The flip key, why couldn't they make it like the A4 one?
- The Standard 5 spoke alloy S3 wheels, prefer the clubsport ones
- Haldex system, I thought it was an AWD at all times until reading up from this board.
- Oh and can't forget about the infamous 'mono.pur', should of been standard? lol

Reactions: Rob2k68
The seats are the worst thing IMHO. The side bolsters are too angled and too harsh plus there isn't much side back support. No ability to spec. properly adjustable seats.

- flip key if you have advacned key - very annoying
- The 1800-3000rpm rattle noise?
- MMI cant inverse the dial - I have got used to it but such a simple option
- MMI lack of options that would be so simple to implement eg when lights come on when pressing stop button if you have advanced key
- not having an LED bulb in the glove box
- not having a dimming mirror on the passenger side
- tx message tone is just a beep, no option to have anything more obvious.
- audi pre sense alarm doesnt get louder if you have stereo on loud, its a quiet beep at the best of times
- sat nav missing some basic features such as when viewing 3 routes the ETA doesnt take into consideration traffic conditions
- google send to myAudi using postcode doesnt work
- cant lock the car while engine running
- no heated steering wheel as an optional extra - Vauxhall Corsas can hive this option!!!

Im sure there are a few more things I dont like, but I still love the car and it puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it!

• No interior button to 'pop' the boot.
  • Boot doesn't physically open on key release like the saloon does.
  • Convertible roof can't be lowered or raised from the key fob.
  • DRLs are filament rather than LED.
  • Rear cup holders are slightly smaller diameter than the fronts (I wanted to put the ashtray in there to free up both fronts but it doesn't fit).
  • No USB socket.
  • No station logos on MMI when in DAB mode or option to set detailed station info as default.

That I need to wait so long for it!

Reactions: musicegbdf, David83S3 and Cymru09
Overall I'm still really happy, but there are a few niggles:

• Woeful clearance of condensation on cold start (I'm used to heated front screens!)
  • Diamond cut alloys, no problems yet but I have my doubts about the finish lasting long-term
  • Having to manually drop the driver's side mirror for parking (odd parking space at home)
  • Mis-match of fogs and DRLs when locking/unlocking the car is jarring
  • Low res MMI screen (standard + SD Nav), seriously, how expensive are Full HD panels now?

I'd compare new to old on this one.
i.e. the 8L S3 came as standard with electric seats, lumbar support, interior lighting & full ally mirrors. None of which are now standard (ally mirrors not an option at all). It's just a shame that the standard spec's seem to be getting gradually stripped back particularly on S-models.
[Haven't got mine yet]

- tx message tone is just a beep, no option to have anything more obvious.

Pretty sure I've seen an option for this in the MMI, could be wrong though

- cant lock the car while engine running

Why would you want to? Isn't it illegal to have the ignition on with noone in the driver's seat? Probably why.

For me, it's the lane assist turning itself off after it thinks you have let go. Really badly designed system. They could have done it with capacitive sensors on the steering wheel maybe instead, or some other method of detection anyway.

Lack of storage cubby holes and bins coupled with tiny useable space in glovebox. Really annoying.

Only one interim stop on the door arrester. All previous cars have held the door in two or 3 levels of 'open'

I am a careful person but damn that rear bumper design is easy to scratch when getting stuff in and out of the boot.

Lack of clock on easy display all the time (no pun intended) unless you have the MMI screen up.

+1 for rattle 1800-3000 rpm.

Would have to be the loud noise that comes from the rear brakes when I reverse in the mornings. Not quite sure what it actually is but it's loud.

The safety notice on the passenger sun visor is annoying.

No s-tronic farts in LC mode.

Still loving my car though.

The A3 has a foot rest on the left, but no foot rest on the right. The Golf has both foot rests.

The satnav will tell me the altitude, but not display the current speed of the car.

My wife complains that the boot is smaller than the Mk5 Golf she had.

(The list of things we like is a lot longer :) )

Pretty sure I've seen an option for this in the MMI, could be wrong though

Just checked and can only find volume adjust of the single beep. Would love to know if ive missed something as would be useful to have an alert that lasted longer than the single beep

Why would you want to? Isn't it illegal to have the ignition on with noone in the driver's seat? Probably why.

Never heard of this being illegal, but would be great to lock the car on the driveway while it defrosts.
In America its quite common place to be able to start the car from the keyfob. We hired a Ford Mustag and a Chrysler and both could do this. Really great for cooling the car in the summar and warming up in the winter.

Would have to be the loud noise that comes from the rear brakes when I reverse in the mornings. Not quite sure what it actually is but it's loud.

We have a stone drive and occasionally a stone will get caught in the disc brakes. If it is that, just find a safe place the drive forward/backward and apply the brake firmly. Might take a few attempts to free the stone. Not sure it has ever happened to the rear brakes though.

It's not illegal to leave it running and unattended on your driveway though ;)

Or on private property, or a private road :)

Reactions: andywil13
you would have thought the S-tronic would allow you to pull away in 2nd gear in M mode - just thinking about if we get any snow.

Reactions: j0nny2013 and illingworth22
  • No lumbar support
  • Not able to keep the MMI screen down on start up
  • Key, it's naff, should be a newer design/type, I was using these keys on cars 10+ years ago
  • The exhaust needs a loud button as sometimes its just too quiet
  • Pointless functions on tech pack such as flight times, twitter & FB, why not add a locator/tracker function like on the RR evoque (a different pointless function) It even tells you if the car is locked, windows open, fuel level, recent journeys etc....
  • ILP should be standard as well as a few other cheaper options such as auto hold
  • Front bumper needs more aggressive air intakes, but guess they saved that for the RS3
  • Rattle on 1800rpm should not exist, full stop
  • Boost gauge is pointless
  • Needs a temperature gauge clearly visible, it bugs having to check oil temp in lap timer each journey start
  • That small amount of turbo lag on occasions
Finally but then this is probably my driving is that I seem to hit the limiter in second gear when I push it......!

Lack of clock on easy display all the time (no pun intended) unless you have the MMI screen up..

This must depend on how you have the DIS set, because I always have the time visible in the top section of the DIS together with the computer setting of number of miles left before the next fill-up in the next section as shown on p28 of the Owner's Manual.

The A3 has a foot rest on the left, but no foot rest on the right. The Golf has both foot rests.

I find this annoying because there is no where to rest your right foot if you are using the ACC. On my 8P I used to be able to rest my foot against the wheel arch but they won't work on the 8V.

I find this annoying because there is no where to rest your right foot if you are using the ACC. On my 8P I used to be able to rest my foot against the wheel arch but they won't work on the 8V.

I appreciate there isn't actually a foot-rest but I use ACC all the time and I never fell the lack of a foot-rest. Not entirely sure where I put my foot now that I think about it...

Finally but then this is probably my driving is that I seem to hit the limiter in second gear when I push it......!

You do need to watch that 2nd gear, it's only useful for about 1s! I've bounced the limiter a few times, being a rubbish human and not a S-Tronic box :D

This must depend on how you have the DIS set, because I always have the time visible in the top section of the DIS together with the computer setting of number of miles left before the next fill-up in the next section as shown on p28 of the Owner's Manual.
You are right it does show in the DIS on one of the view, but I think something as simple at the time, should show in the corner on every DIS screen

Reactions: JohnM100
  • Pointless functions on tech pack such as flight times, twitter & FB, why not add a locator/tracker function like on the RR evoque (a different pointless function) It even tells you if the car is locked, windows open, fuel level, recent journeys etc....
Def aggree on this. I think Audi need to wake up a little bit. The MMI is bascily a computer so could be programmed to do pretty much anything. Audi need to be a bit more open to user feedback and put the effort into making changes. Call it a service pack/hotfix or whatever, just improve functionality and give new features without having to buy a new car. I think id be happy to pay a fair amount for updates if I got a continuing supply of new features.

How about having to move the wing mirror selector to the left mirror position to get the kerb view? Annoying in cold weather when you have to move it back to heated mode.

Reactions: Rexus, GrumpyEngineer and Martinbanshee
Def aggree on this. I think Audi need to wake up a little bit. The MMI is bascily a computer so could be programmed to do pretty much anything. Audi need to be a bit more open to user feedback and put the effort into making changes. Call it a service pack/hotfix or whatever, just improve functionality and give new features without having to buy a new car. I think id be happy to pay a fair amount for updates if I got a continuing supply of new features.

Agree, you kind of feel that it's only doing the bare minimum and what's on there is pretty pointless. What about the feature of receiving email?

How about having to move the wing mirror selector to the left mirror position to get the kerb view? Annoying in cold weather when you have to move it back to heated mode.
I miss the heated mirrors being activated with the rear window heater button on the 8P - that way the wing mirror selector could just be left as is for dip mode

Reactions: Rexus and veeeight
Is it my crooked spine.....

I sit is a centered position with the steering wheel and I seem to be an inch or two off center in the seat!

The safety notice on the passenger sun visor is annoying.

No s-tronic farts in LC mode.

Still loving my car though.

I wonder what the chances are of ordering an EU spec (left hand driver) sun visor and changing them over? I'd buy one...

Reactions: RYuill
Reactions: RYuill
Mine include (in no particular order):

1) Folding mirrors take time to fold in / out. Also not able to change mid-fold.
2) If you turn the button the wrong way, you fold the mirrors in when you're trying to find the heated function
3) Lack of information displayed on the Radio
3) Front Sensors not automatic - have to switch on / off
4) Have to look down and to the right to check if the Lights are on instead of being displayed on the Dashboard Panel
5) Have to keep your finger on the Roof Button instead of one-flick action (presume this is a safety feature)
6) My I-Pod keeps returning back to the Singles Playlist and starting at A every time I get in the car
7) Have to fiddle with the console to switch between I-Pod and CD
8) 2nd Gear VERY crunchy when car is cold
9) Cruise Control remains visible when switched on / off until the car is stopped / key removed
10) The air vents reflect into both rear view mirrors - very distracting.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Seats in the s-line are awful on long journey. I find the bolsters on the base are too angled and that I end up squashed. Andbim only 5' 8 and 10 stone so by no means a big unit.

alloy wheels are dreadful, so easily kerbed
visibility isn't great
have to acknowledge wifi every time I get in the car - try find out I can switch it off
  • No lumbar support
  • Not able to keep the MMI screen down on start up
  • Key, it's naff, should be a newer design/type, I was using these keys on cars 10+ years ago
  • The exhaust needs a loud button as sometimes its just too quiet
  • ILP should be standard as well as a few other cheaper options such as auto hold
  • Front bumper needs more aggressive air intakes, but guess they saved that for the RS3
  • Rattle on 1800rpm should not exist, full stop
  • Boost gauge is pointless
  • Needs a temperature gauge clearly visible, it bugs having to check oil temp in lap timer each journey start
  • That small amount of turbo lag on occasions
there is a tracker typed app on android. download and it tells you where the car is located - roughly - few other things to that are quite handy - its ok just don't get too excited - its free which is amazing for audi

alloy wheels are dreadful, so easily kerbed
visibility isn't great
have to acknowledge wifi every time I get in the car - try find out I can switch it off

there is a tracker typed app on android. download and it tells you where the car is located - roughly - few other things to that are quite handy - its ok just don't get too excited - its free which is amazing for audi

They alloys are terrible at doing that to themselves eh.

Reactions: fm91
Not having the advanced key on the rear doors, unable to get a perfect driving position, no heated front screen, limited body colours - unless you want to spend a fortune and a inert and numb driving experience. But what I like do does out number them, although it's getting close with the mk5 mondeo coming out soon becoming a very attractive proposition.

there is lots i like about the car but as for the stuff i dont like, in no order
- alloy wheels are terrible on the s3 - mega easy to kerb - why didn't they put a lip on the tyre like my Peugeot 307 - didn't kerb an alloy for 10 years
- visibility is terrible
- having to acknowledge the wifi every time!!
- too many squeaks and rattles for a premium brand
- filler cap is cheap and nasty - how much would a decent one cost!!
- lack of storage is pathetic
- seat nets are cheap and nasty - have far far better ones on my 12 year old Peugeot, proper leather seat storage not some cheap nets
- under seat storage is a joke - and I paid for it lol - pug one is 10 times the size and slides out too
- dab aerial lead shielding is lousy as is putting the aerial in the rear window - just wait till you get a rear car camera
- not being able to switch off the lethal stop/start
-paying for stuff that should be included - my Peugeot 307xsi is over 12 years old and came with auto lights, auto wipers and auto mirrors and I didn't have to pay extra for them

Is it my crooked spine.....

I sit is a centered position with the steering wheel and I seem to be an inch or two off center in the seat!

The drivers seat does seem to be set inboard about 1 inch of the steering wheel / DIS centreline but it is less pronounced than other Audis - especially the A5 where the pedal offset is huge.

Probably a crash test passenger safety thing.