What do you think ?

SteveTDCi

Reaction score
After owning the A3 for around 6 months and to be honest really liking it for some reason i'm thinking of changing ??? I've recently sold my old cabriolet so have some money floating about, the wife would love to keep it ( the money that is ) and I want to spend it.

I've been thinking of getting a jetski as I went out on one a month ago and really liked it, but just lately i've seen that the A4 3.0TDi has started to fall in price and was considering changing ???? i've also seen a few 330d coupes that have fallen in price and toyed with the idea of one of those, i tried dropping a hint to the wife yeterday and she said not whilst it has a bm badge on the front .... any thoughts, should i keep and get a ski, change to the A4 or just spend the money elsewhere ?

jet skis are boring after 20 minutes, get a small RIB, much better

went out on a rib, albeit not a small one with a 150 honda on the back, jet ski scared me the rib didn't, i've always got access to a boat if i need to. The 20 min thing does worry me though !

If you bought a second hand one couldnt you just flog it on if you got bored and take a minimal hit?

with the one i'm looking at there is the chance I could run it for a year and probably make a profit :)

you can ski behind a jetski, don't need a boat already have access to something you can play around with.

if you do get a jet ski, try not to do any of the following things:-

- Find somewhere nice and flat and do donuts, making a right mess of the water, rendering it unskiable or unwakeboardable for everyone else that was there .

- fly up and down the flat bit at 60mph with no regard for anyone elses safety

- generally behave like an antisocial knob.

- follow a boat thats pulling a skier/wakeboarder, jumping in and out of its wake within close proximity to the skier/wakeboarder.

I reckon it must be impossible not to do these things, as everyone I see on a jetski seems to do them.

Get on windsurfing!!!

Jet skis are really boring... exciting for 20 minutes like someone said... Had one... sold it after 3 months...

Better thing would be keep the money mate....

Pedro

jet skis are boring after 20 minutes, get a small RIB, much better

Yeah, unless you get a standup, and that'll last about an hour!!! My advice is buy a Mastercraft and go wakeboarding, worked for me, I've had two!!

My 2001 X-Star;

P3310174.jpg

i'd love one but they ain't cheap and i think it would be too big to go behind the A3

nice boat. I'd love a proper wakeboat, but I need more of an all rounder , hence the sea ray, it does me fine, I'm no pro:-

-PG

Like it, the trouble with the mastercraft is they are lake boats, and **** all good on the sea, and very expensive to run and buy. I had a Bayliner before, which is very simliar to your sea ray, and a lot cheaper to run

yep, I use it solely on the sea, and also travel a reasonable distance round the coast, a proper wakeboat would batter me senseless.

I have wakeboarded behind and x star and an x5 a few times though, and the wake is significantly better..

I've fitted a merc hi five prop which makes it easier for less competent drivers to hold steady speed, and some ballast tanks for a bit of weight, as a result the wake is perfectly acceptable. I now just need to get better at the actual wakeboarding.

again nice but a little too much £££ you don't get much of a boat for £2000 and whilst i live near a small lake and about 50 mins from the east coast a boat might be a bit too big. I did originally look at picking up a cheap fletcher 14' until I went on the back of a seadoo RXT ... ****** quick it was.

yes, you might be pushed to get a boat for 2k, jet ski is probably the only option.

up it to 5k though and the choice should be pretty reasonable

yep, I use it solely on the sea, and also travel a reasonable distance round the coast, a proper wakeboat would batter me senseless.

I have wakeboarded behind and x star and an x5 a few times though, and the wake is significantly better..

I've fitted a merc hi five prop which makes it easier for less competent drivers to hold steady speed, and some ballast tanks for a bit of weight, as a result the wake is perfectly acceptable. I now just need to get better at the actual wakeboarding.

My previous boat to the X-Star was an X5!!!!

I've got no boat now and just pay £20 a tow here;

http://www.chichesterwatersports.co.uk/Site/intro.html

Have you had lessons, Im quite lucky that Matt Crowhurst (was eurpoean No.1 Wakeskater) is going out with a friend of mine so no shortage of lessons.

And 'perfect pass' is the best investment you'll make for wakeboarding.

Sorry Steve - yes for £2000 a jetski can't be beaten, but you will get bored of it very quickly, but we are already halfway through the summer(if this is what we call summer), so could be perfect timing time wise:arco:

Yeah sorry Steve, going off topic here.

I've heard tales that pefect pass doesnt work well on the sea (ie where there might be a small amount of chop, bit of wind) ,never tried it though, so cant say whether this is rumour or not.

Its the one thing I regret not speccing on my boat when I ordered it, it was a factory option.

I could retro fit it, but its a hassle. Anyway the wife is now getting to be a pretty good driver , so I have less call for it, although it would have saved a few potentially marriage ending arguments.

Never had lessons, just self taught , probably should take some, I just never get the chance. I'm currently at the stage of landing on my head when trying inverts, doesnt help that I'm not as young as I used to be, and crashes hurt more, and muscles ache for longer.

I was self taught, and have had lots of lessons now, and you improve everytime - I recommend it - Do you think we should start a new thread of our own?

I'm happy for you to continue :) picking the ski up isn't the issue, i'd need to insure it, thne local river licence and then launch fee's Ideally i'd get a boat but couldn't justify 5k + on one when if I had one I would rareley take it out to sea, hence my dads 18' fletcher is enough, although it isn't something I would want to tow.