What do you think of my S4 Avant spec & options?

WarwickBoy

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have spec'd out a new (DIESEL) Audi S4 Avant having reconciled myself to the fact that diesel is still a good option for the short term, and the real world 35mpg will pay off over time compared to sub 25ish for the petrol.

I'd appreciate if you could look over my spec and let me know if you think I have missed any 'must have' options or options that would help resale value.

AUDI A4 DIESEL AVANT S4 TDI QUATTRO BLACK EDITION 5DR TIPTRONIC
  • Comfort & Sound Pack
  • Colour - Metallic paint - Mythos Black
  • Fine Nappe leather - black with front sport seats with S embossed logo + super sport seats
  • Towing Equipment - swivelling manual [see note]
  • Storage Pack
  • LED Audi rings for entry area, for vehicles with LED entry lights

I've just gone for standard 3 year warranty rather than paying an extra £430 for (4 years, max. 75,000 miles) or £995 for Audi Warranty 5 years, max 90,000 miles. Am I being short sighted on this. I hear new Audi's are pretty robust?

Thank you in advance for any comments/opinions :)

Robin

[note] I do not intend to tow anything, but just using this for a Thule tow bar mounted rack.

How much may I ask, and what finance?
Personally, paying extra, if you did, for Audi rings is a waste of money. I'd fit them myself if I thought they'd have any practical benefit...

Via a broker price is a shade over £44,000 so ~£9,000 discount on the ROTR price of £54,275 with 4 year PCP and £11k deposit monthies are ~£380.

Speaking to Audi Northampton, the salesman was quite open when I was discussing trade in on my current PCP car, and "equity" in the car. He said that market uncertainties over Brexit had really hit 2nd hand card values and a lot of people were coming to the end of PCP deals and finding they had no equity in the car :-( Of course he did also say that second hand market values of the Audi S4 Avant were not affected by these Brexit uncertainty related lower prices as it was such a strong package. Salesman talk? :)

Interestingly the broker could not order with the LED rings. He said this might be an 'dealer fit' aftermarket option. In the Audi configurator it says "- We recommend having this checked by your Audi partner as the fitting of the LED entry lights varies depending on model and equipment fitted." which sort of implies it can be a retrofit. He's going to check with the dealer, Can you fit these yourself? I'll look to investigate this.

Reactions: cuke2u
@WarwickBoy. On the Configurator when your build is complete and last page is titled “Your Audi” scroll down to Complete Standard Equipment box and once selected, in the list you will see under Exterior design that Audi Beam, front door puddle illumination or “Audi Rings” are standard fit.

Reactions: WarwickBoy and cuke2u
If you're planning to keep the car for 4 years I'd consider the matching warranty. I'm not normally a fan of extended warranties because of exclusions but this is a manufacturer one so covers virtually everything. Any warranty is a gamble but one fault and you'll probably get your £430 back.

In 2 years my S4 has had a new thermostat, replacement camera module, an alarm fault and a central locking fault. Not as robust as I'd like, but experiences will vary!

Options wise I'm not sure what's standard on the new S4 but if they're an option, Matrix lights are worth considering if you do much night driving.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Reactions: WarwickBoy
@WarwickBoy. On the Configurator when your build is complete and last page is titled “Your Audi” scroll down to Complete Standard Equipment box and once selected, in the list you will see under Exterior design that Audi Beam, front door puddle illumination or “Audi Rings” are standard fit.
It does indeed state Audi Beam:
Screenshot 20190914 163431 Chrome

I havent looked at the standard spec of the new Diesel S4 but I wouldn’t be without a few items, if anyone else will be driving the memory seats are a must, VC is excellent on mine and although some say massage seats are a gimmick on a long drive they certainly take the edge off. With the mythos I’d be very tempted to go with the black pack (again if it is an option) and as already mentioned the matrix headlights are very worthwhile.

Just my 50p..

I can't see the option of matrix headlamps in the configurator and I believe that Audi has dropped that option, along with other's...

Matrix headlights will be available but only as part of the forthcoming, very expensive Vorsrpung edition.

Thank you for your updates. As hellodave states, one warrantly claim in year 4 will probably be more than the £430 cost of that warranty extension, so I think I will go for it.

As for the Audi LED rings the configurator did let me specify them (and show £115 extra) even though the Exterior section says "Audi Beam - Front Door Puddle illumination". Do you pay £115 to convert a pool of light into an Audi (or Quattro) logo? Either way, was not part of my order, so can retro-add for ~£100 if I need to I think - definitely a "vanity option" :)

Interestingly in terms of options, in the volkswizard review of the car at around the 5:24 mark he shows the specification sheet for the S4 Avant he is testing (pic below). This shows options that are not in the UK configurator, for example:

Quattro sports differential £1400
Head Up Display £1025
Dynamic Steering £1025
S Suspension with damping control £100

I can live without all of these, but interesting they are not in the conifgurator.

IMG 0103   Copy

Sub 25 for petrol ? I just drove this evening from North Leeds to the Cotswolds in my my19 S4. 36.9 mpg (averaged 35.8 on the way up). You must be thrashing yours to within an inch of its life !

@WarwickBoy. The price and specification list you have posted is for the limited number of dealer models that were supplied to Audi UK as demonstrators. The options listed are allegedly a German spec and as you have pointed out a number of those options are not available on the UK configurator. Audi UK dropped a number of options for the 2019 MY cars due to poor uptake on orders, no doubt they have done the same again for the new model.

@WarwickBoy. The price and specification list you have posted is for the limited number of dealer models that were supplied to Audi UK as demonstrators. The options listed are allegedly a German spec and as you have pointed out a number of those options are not available on the UK configurator. Audi UK dropped a number of options for the 2019 MY cars due to poor uptake on orders, no doubt they have done the same again for the new model.

Makes sense. With the Black Edition there were surprisingly few options to specify which made things easier. Upon finalising the order changed colour to Daytona Grey due to lots of people saying “black cars get dirty”. My wife took the mick out of me as “you already have a black car and it’s not that dirty”. Think the grey looks good and I’m not boring

Next research.
1. GAP INSURANCE - Anyone recommend a good firm. My spider senses tell me “never buy the dealer option”?
2. PROTECTIVE SEAL - Same question. My mate spent £450 getting his Mini done and the guy worked from 9 am to 7 pm under a hood on his drive.

I will of course do my own research and post here over the weekend.

Makes sense. With the Black Edition there were surprisingly few options to specify which made things easier. Upon finalising the order changed colour to Daytona Grey due to lots of people saying “black cars get dirty”. My wife took the mick out of me as “you already have a black car and it’s not that dirty”. Think the grey looks good and I’m not boring

Next research.
1. GAP INSURANCE - Anyone recommend a good firm. My spider senses tell me “never buy the dealer option”?
2. PROTECTIVE SEAL - Same question. My mate spent £450 getting his Mini done and the guy worked from 9 am to 7 pm under a hood on his drive.

I will of course do my own research and post here over the weekend.

For GAP : ALA . I took a quote to the dealer and they matched it .

Forget any dealer offered seal... go to a detailer . I had mine ceramic coated. 2 years on its still great. Will cost about £500 and take 2 days. There are a number of great options, Gtech and Siramik ..

Not sure how you’ll keep half your exhaust tips clean .. that’s one thing I’d be wondering about with one side being cosmetic / one side active.

Not sure how you’ll keep half your exhaust tips clean .. that’s one thing I’d be wondering about with one side being cosmetic / one side active.

I really wouldn't worry too much about that if my experience of VAG diesels is anything to go by. With all the DPFs and cats and AdBlue they stay far cleaner than the petrol equivalent these days!

Well you won't have as many to look after anyway ;-) They will still get sooty as the burnt off particles mixed with acids have to go somewhere...

Reactions: Daggerit
Well you won't have as many to look after anyway ;-) They will still get sooty as the burnt off particles mixed with acids have to go somewhere...

I know that, but nothing like the petrols and a quick wipe was more than enough to keep the exhausts on my 3.0tdi A4 looking perfectly shiny. Versus the pitting and ingrained blackness on the petrol S4 pipes - after only a few thousand miles too!

Sub 25 for petrol ? I just drove this evening from North Leeds to the Cotswolds in my my19 S4. 36.9 mpg (averaged 35.8 on the way up). You must be thrashing yours to within an inch of its life !

I got 36+ from Glasgow to North Leeds when I collected mine.

What spec have you got mate. I’ll look out for you as I’m just around the corner?

Great to hear

I'm glad you guys are getting good mpg from real world driving in the Audi S4 Avant petrol. It's a cracking engine, great drive and the best sound. Here is my mini review comparing the petrol and the diesel.

This week I had a day off work and I test drove the following vehicles back-to-back to see which I liked the best
  • Audi S4 Avant (2018) 6 cylinder 3.0L petrol (354 PS) petrol model - CO2 emissions combined (National V) of 175g/km with combined cycle 7.7l/100 km 0-60 in 4.9 secs
  • Audi S4 Avant (2019) turbocharged diesel V6 with 48V mild-hybrid, -CO2 emissions combined 166 g/km with combined cycle of 44.8 (NECD) 0-60 in 4.9 secs
The diesel also has a system called AdBlue which is a liquid solution of urea (the stuff found in urine), and when it meets a hot exhaust system it releases ammonia which is a catalyst to a chemical reaction that converts dangerous Nitrogen Oxides into two harmless products – water vapour and Nitrogen

I drove the petrol first, then the diesel

Engine Sounds
  • The petrol was very smooth, with a classic petrol rev sounds.
  • The diesel was a more grunty/grainy sound. I understand it is acoustically enhanced. Not as nice as the petrol but perfectly fine.
Handling and Performance
  • Both cars handled very similarly, were both 4 wheel drive and felt fast.
  • The petrol somehow felt faster at the same speeds as the diesel which seemed to reach higher speeds with less fuss and you had to keep a close eye on the speedometer to ensure you did not go over the limit.
  • The performance felt the same. I did not notice any turbo lag from the diesel (apparently addressed by the mild hybrid system).
Technology
  • Both had Virtual Cockpits. The 2019 car had a newer system that looked a little more clear (with slightly larger central screen with touch) whereas the 2018 car had a MMI system.
  • In the news car the VC looked sharper and had driving tip pop ups with I liked
Which car did I like best?
  • From a pure driving experience/sound experience I liked the 2018 petrol car better
Which car would I buy?
  • Taking a real world view, and thinking about emissions, cost of motoring, and given the similarities of the cars performance I would go for the diesel, on the basis it handled the same, would ultimately have lower emissions and running costs, and be a year newer, taking into account when financed, due to lower APR on a new diesel car the costs were not that different for the buyer for a 1 year old petrol, despite the diesel being ~£10k more if bought outright.
  • If finances were less of an issue I would go for a Audi RS4 Avant when the new model comes out :)

My conclusion
  • Audi have done a great job with new diesel S4. Purists (petrolheads) probably won't like it as much as the petrol version but it's almost as good, and as a practical car it is a better option.

Reactions: tickedon, Keef, cuke2u and 1 other person
Great to hear

I'm glad you guys are getting good mpg from real world driving in the Audi S4 Avant petrol. It's a cracking engine, great drive and the best sound. Here is my mini review comparing the petrol and the diesel.

This week I had a day off work and I test drove the following vehicles back-to-back to see which I liked the best
  • Audi S4 Avant (2018) 6 cylinder 3.0L petrol (354 PS) petrol model - CO2 emissions combined (National V) of 175g/km with combined cycle 7.7l/100 km 0-60 in 4.9 secs
  • Audi S4 Avant (2019) turbocharged diesel V6 with 48V mild-hybrid, -CO2 emissions combined 166 g/km with combined cycle of 44.8 (NECD) 0-60 in 4.9 secs
The diesel also has a system called AdBlue which is a liquid solution of urea (the stuff found in urine), and when it meets a hot exhaust system it releases ammonia which is a catalyst to a chemical reaction that converts dangerous Nitrogen Oxides into two harmless products – water vapour and Nitrogen

Engine Sounds
  • The diesel was a more grunty/grainy sound. I understand it is acoustically enhanced. Not as nice as the petrol but perfectly fine.
Handling and Performance
  • The petrol somehow felt faster at the same speeds as the diesel which seemed to reach higher speeds with less fuss and you had to keep a close eye on the speedometer to ensure you did not go over the limit.
  • The performance felt the same. I did not notice any turbo lag from the diesel (apparently addressed by the mild hybrid system).
Technology
  • Both had Virtual Cockpits. The 2019 car had a newer system that looked a little more clear (with slightly larger central screen with touch) whereas the 2018 car had a MMI system.
  • In the news car the VC looked sharper and had driving tip pop ups with I liked
  • From a pure driving experience/sound experience I liked the 2018 petrol car better
Which car would I buy?
  • Taking a real world view, and thinking about emissions, cost of motoring, and given the similarities of the cars performance I would go for the diesel, on the basis it handled the same, would ultimately have lower emissions and running costs, and be a year newer, taking into account when financed, due to lower APR on a new diesel car the costs were not that different for the buyer for a 1 year old petrol, despite the diesel being ~£10k more if bought outright.
  • If finances were less of an issue I would go for a Audi RS4 Avant when the new model comes out :)

My conclusion
  • Audi have done a great job with new diesel S4. Purists (petrolheads) probably won't like it as much as the petrol version but it's almost as good, and as a practical car it is a better option.
A balanced and strong review pal, I’ve not yet driven the diesel and as you say it depends very much on circumstances. Myself, a petrolhead purist and having had an original and brilliant Mk 4 R32 v6 with Milltek exhaust closely followed by the B7 4.2V8, I simply missed the raw power and noise, and as a daily only doing 18miles maximum I was happy with the petrol. I ran a 2.0 TDi Quattro A6 Black Edition for three years and over 27k I averaged 28mpg with my daily commute and some longer drives so I’m not seeing a vast difference 3k mikes into S4 circumstances. As you said, purists won’t want a diesel, but as a balanced view it is very much up to the individual and new owners who need or want a diesel now have an exciting alternative, I’d just have preferred Audi to have offered both petrol and diesel options!

Our of interest, I used carwow the other day to see the discounts on the S4 TDI - 13.8% was the best offer which I thought was quite good. I currently have the petrol S4, I’ve had it since May 2017 so have just about 7 months left on my pcp. I have a years extended warranty so will probably keep my S4 as the trade in offers seem to have plummeted in the past few months. My local dealers doesn’t have a diesel S4 yet but has said I can have it for a day when it arrives.

What spec have you got mate. I’ll look out for you as I’m just around the corner?

I ticked most boxes... drive assist. Active dampers, advanced park etc.... Navarra blue (dirty)...

Great to hear

Engine Sounds
Handling and Performance
Technology
Which car would I buy?

My conclusion

They got rid of the rotary dial and have gone to touch... I had a hire car recently with touch, and just hated it . Purely personal preference... the screen hasn’t been cleaned .. was humid and it got smudgy and unresponsive... and you have to stretch t reach it.
Also, when you fill up at a diesel pump, always seem to get a few drops on the soles of the shoes and inside the car smells of diesel for hours...
And there is particulate .... the devil in the diesel ...

They got rid of the rotary dial and have gone to touch... I had a hire car recently with touch, and just hated it . Purely personal preference... the screen hasn’t been cleaned .. was humid and it got smudgy and unresponsive... and you have to stretch t reach it.
Also, when you fill up at a diesel pump, always seem to get a few drops on the soles of the shoes and inside the car smells of diesel for hours...
And there is particulate .... the devil in the diesel ...
Ditto... I couldn’t swap to the new A6 for that self same reason. Touch screen was not my friend.

Will look out for a matching dirty Navarro!