What do you like about your A3/S3?

S3MHT

Remap Do I or Don't I???????
Reaction score
I thought I'd start this as recently there has been threads about adoring your tyres, and staring and your dash clock at night enjoying the colours.

So I thought we could all say the things we like about our S3 under one thread.

I like all of my car but I love the interior as in the dash, center console etc.. I like me buttons and my stereo has loads of them that light up at night.

Theres a pattern here actually all us S3 ownerds are sad. we like stragnge things?? lol

the subtle yet hard as **** stance of the S3 :icon_thumright:

What I like:

1) It's an oldish car but i doesn't matter as you don't see many about
2) The (facelift) interior is fantastic
3) Typical Audi finish and attention to detail
4) Value for money
5) The Audi enthusiast community

What I don't like

1) 1.8T unit is harsh/buzzy
2) Bad handling

It's just a nice car to own, looks good, goes pretty well(when remapped) and does good mpg for the performance. A good all rounder with a bit of class and refinement.

very nice car to own and drive
rare
nice second hand price. from 8k upwards which is cheaper than average cost of new car.
comapared to my last car (VW Golf 4 motion 2.8) this is faster and does more mpg. golf was 22mpg average, this is 30.
alot of tuning options also compared to golf which had little available

i like the looks of the s3 , beefed arches and interior , i dont like the weight of the car , it slows it down so much , the interior weighs a ton as well , if the car was a lot lighter it would go a hell of a lot better

well in my facelift A3 1 love the bullet proof solidity of the upper dash board, and the smooth matt finish around the stereo and climate control 1st time I got in my car I drove it round the corner and just sat there looking at the interior.. still looks the nuts imo

Cant tell my car is ten yrs old to look at it which i like

Its falling apart which i dont lol

I also love the broad shouldered stance of 8Ls when viewed from behind which is regrettbly missing from the 8P imo

erm I also love the facelift gear knob looks and feels fantastic

I love the broad stance of even my a3, the general style and finish of the car..... and the reaction from the girls...."oh you drive an audi:kiss:" lol result :icon_thumright:

- i like the fact that im quite young, most people my age are driving around in saxo's and clio's and iv got the audi

- i love the side on view

- i love its subtlty

- and most of all i like the fact thats its fast

I agree with every comment on here (other than bad handling, they handle really well)

I still need to get mine remapped but other than that I like th efact I don't need to modify it in any other way I love it as it is. Including the standard alloys.

I love everything about my S3. I also don't understand the comments about bad handling - the four wheel drive really shows its worth and it sticks to the road like glue.

I saw a new shape S3 on the road for the first time and it didn't look like an "S" car ... shame.

That said, I am getting restless for a change. Although once I clean the car it makes me want to keep it.

I like the headlights, i like the speed concidering its a 1.8t, i like that its a car people look twice at, i like that its the only car that looks good with chrome mirrors, i like my confortable leather recardos, i like the fact i dont have to worry about reliability.

I dont like the ICE, symphony2 SQ sucks, and its not easy just to add a small boom box :( (please prove me wrong?)

The people saying the S3 is a good drive have obviously never driven a car that handles well and is technically comptetant..

Dave_Bayern said:
The people saying the S3 is a good drive have obviously never driven a car that handles well and is technically comptetant..

..and are morally incompetant and will murder you in the twisties, with a well sorted Rover...

Dave_Bayern said:

Your right in my case ive only ever owned **** old cars until I got my S3, But the fact I can scream around roundabouts without loosing control says to me it handles well.

I'm perfectly happy with the handling

handling is okay generally but when you turn off esp and really push it, it does understeer wide.
its nothing compared to the scooby i used to have a few years ago

S3MHT said:
Your right in my case ive only ever owned **** old cars until I got my S3, But the fact I can scream around roundabouts without loosing control says to me it handles well.

I'm perfectly happy with the handling

Happy you may be, that's great, but until you've driven a car that does grip and handle, you can't really say the S3 handles well...because it doesn't; it really doesn't!

I believe what you guys say about handling but all I'm saying is the S3 certainly does everything I want and need it to ... and more. No complaints whatsoever.

i agree the S3 handles well but the body roll lets it down, i love the xenon headlights, the silver leather, its speed and the fact you get lots of looks in it when buffed up

Yes at the end of the day it is a nice car, and the good thing is the handling can be sorted...in fact there are far too many goodies available to buy for it!

S3 - nice to be in, reasonably fast, reasonably good looking (if poss for a car), and if modded well not bad at all. Importantly, and unlike many outright performance vehicles, it can be used everyday and for almost all occasions (motorway, bit of shopping, back road blast). A good all rounder. Not the best in any department by any means - but a package.

bantam1 said:
S3 - nice to be in, reasonably fast, reasonably good looking (if poss for a car), and if modded well not bad at all. Importantly, and unlike many outright performance vehicles, it can be used everyday and for almost all occasions (motorway, bit of shopping, back road blast). A good all rounder. Not the best in any department by any means - but a package.

Just out of interest this isn't being snotty but for 9 - 10k what cars are there that are better without going over 5-6 years old???

I spent ages trying to find a good looking, good performance and reliable car and the S3 came out miles on top for me! the curpa r was alright but don't like the 5 door and the interior is ****

Gobbles up the motorway miles quietly and in comfort.
Looks great, fab interior with lots of lovely thoughtful little touches.
Puts a smile on my face when I've got a clear stretch of countryside ahead of me.
Does 44mpg.

As for handling, the steering is a touch anonymous. I remember my old 306; such a great feeling throwing that into a corner.

S3MHT said:
Just out of interest this isn't being snotty but for 9 - 10k what cars are there that are better without going over 5-6 years old???

I spent ages trying to find a good looking, good performance and reliable car and the S3 came out miles on top for me! the curpa r was alright but don't like the 5 door and the interior is ****

what about civic type r's. good all rounder, not bad looking, fun to drive and just as quick a a standard s3

s3sam said:
what about civic type r's. good all rounder, not bad looking, fun to drive and just as quick a a standard s3

I agree infact that is what I originally wanted, for about a year all i went on about was the type R, But by the time i got the money together there was loads of them about and I wanted something a bit different, I do still like them and I agree a lot of fun to drive.

I do prefer the interior of the S3 but the gear stick in the middle of the center console is great for quick gear changes.

I had a race with one the other week and absolutly distroyed it, It was on a motoway so not a standing start race, I think he was a **** driver but I reckon I made the right choice with getting the Audi. :yes:

i had a standing start with one, my s3 is a standard 210. off the line it absolutly minced him but when i was coming out of 2nd he just left me. i suppose that is down to the gearing. i do like my s3 but i need a REMAP. then i would be up fo round 2!!!!!!!

Dave_Bayern said:
Why have you got an A3 then dave? which was the original question to be answered
My mother-in-law always says people are staring at your car which is a good compliment,love seeing the double take
Might handle **** but... hell how many people do competitive driving?

Personally it's the interior which sold it for me - it's where you'll spend all of your time and audi's attention to detail is generally excellent.

Whenever i get in my friends BMW 3 series i'm just looking at the choice of plastics used throughout the car and thinking they could have done soooo much better

and it looks hard as **** from the outside as well :)

voorhees said:
Why have you got an A3 then dave? which was the original question to be answered

Because its easier to make handle well than an S3, and for less money, and I wanted something different than a Mk4 Golf, which was the next logical step considering my previous cars.

I like how the front arches sit noticably wider than the headlights, something rare on an everyday hatch, and only common place on beefy cars!

I like that 18's really suit it, and look as if they could have come from the factory like it. I like the clocks, all red looks nice at night, though the clocks on a MK4 Golf (blue needles in particular) are nicer IMO.

I like the view of the rear, the shoulders, which set it apart from other hatches. I originall wanted a golf, but SOOOO glad I took the Audi!!

I like the fact everyone assumes the S3 isn't very quick - even in a lairy colour like mine... that once moving I have the confidence in the car to push hard enough to keep up with MUCH quicker cars on paper over our roads.

I also like the fact it's the only car I've been in where I am comfortable for a very long journey, guess that explains how I've ended up doing 75,000+ miles while owning it.

All this ******** about needing a remap / sorting the suspension is all well and good, but it's not a bad car in standard 210 guise and I've left a tuned CTR for dead in real life recently.

I also like that even though I've had pretty much every problem under the book I still like it enough not to set fire to the ****** thing.