what do I need?

dickys3

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Getting a new shape A3 very soon which has a concert 2 (i think it is anyhow - single CD with Concert written on it!).

I'm after a phatnoise but believe I need the CD Changer cable to connect it up.

Does the New shape A3 (2003 model) have the cd cable pre-wired like the old A3's did? It doesn't have the CD Changer installed but is the wire there?

If not, Anyone got the part number I need to tell audi?

anything else I need? Or will the phatnoise come with everything else.

Thanks
Rich.

where are you installing it? boot or glovebox?

where are you planning to buy it from, ebay or dealer?

[ QUOTE ]
where are you installing it? boot or glovebox?

where are you planning to buy it from, ebay or dealer?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was planning on installing it in the glovebox.

I was planning on buying it from ebay.

OK, re-read your post...

Is the cable there? some are, some aren't. The only way to check is to look. If it is, the connector will be inside a foam protector, and it will be tucked in near the passenger rear arch, maybe even clipped to the side of the car near the rear seats. Have a dig about when you get it.

No idea about the part number for the cable I'm afraid, but this is where the mounting question comes in. Depending on your mounting location, you'll need different length cables. Not really a problem though, as the audi cable is supplied as a make-your-own cable anyway, with a DIN connector at one end, and bare wires at the other (maybe pre-crimped). You then have to put the wires in the provided shell.

However, this can be done much cheaper with a VW phatbox, and a VW cd changer cable. The actual phatboxes are the same, it's just the cables that are different connectors.

the cheapest place for cd changer cables has to be ebay - there appears to be a few dealerships selling part on there now....

Funnily enough dicky...the man you want is XVW (martin).
He has phatnoise(s) in both his a4 and s4 and has also run the cable etc; I helped him plumb it into the back of the stereo.
Get cookie to get you a standard old style cd changer lead (with a din plug and bare wires at the other end). Tell him its in the accessories section of etka.
The new A3 will not have a cd lead.

The part number for the long Changer lead Audi (round plug) is “4B0 051 735B” £50 from Audi for an Audi Phatnoise long enough to reach into the boot.

There is a short Audi Glove box changer lead that will fit VW phatnoise boxes not sure of pn#

Or you can remove the plug from the end of the lead that comes with the VW Phatbox and push the pins directly into the back of the headunit the cable supplied is long enough to do this in an A4 glove box & the pin outs are listed on www.phathack.com

Thanks Jon. Where is Martin by the way? Haven't seen him on here in a while?

Spoke to cookie earlier and he said he can sort me out with a cable. Where did you get the phatnoise Jon? I seem to remember you buying one and then selling it on to Martin? I've seen a few on ebay in the states for around $199 . If I buy one of these, will I need anything else (other than the cable).

Cheers
Rich.

[ QUOTE ]

Spoke to cookie earlier and he said he can sort me out with a cable. Where did you get the phatnoise Jon? I seem to remember you buying one and then selling it on to Martin? I've seen a few on ebay in the states for around $199 . If I buy one of these, will I need anything else (other than the cable).

Cheers
Rich.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still alive !. You made a good
choice, the phatnoise is excellent. I would recommend upgrading the firmware when you get it. Also when fitting make sure that you leave plenty of room around the d lead or you will get the no cd problem. I had that on mine but since I re-jigged it it is fine. If you need a hand to fit it you are welcome to come over and myself and Jon will give you a hand.

You will also need a UK spec power adaptor for the docking cradle, 9v 1000ma. I may have a spare lying around if you need one.

Sad to hear the s3 is going, what are you getting instead ?

if its american, you'll need a UK power adapter for the dock cradle.

Alyo, depending on your mounting choice, you may need the mounting brackets...

edit: doh, beaten again...

You will need to flash the OS when you get it but phathack has most of the info.. Martin will help, he's done 2 now..
I got mine from ebay (some guy calling himself phatnoise UK I think).
Mine was ok, but Martin had an issue with him, and he basically just sent it from the U.S with a mark up..
I could have persevered with the RNS-E plus phatnoise it seems as they do support it but only with the newer firmware upgrade and anyway, rns-e supports up to 4 gig sd cards so I cant say I miss it in my case.

Dicky- PM xvw, I dont think he always reads all the forums on here.. and rumour has it he is driving around in a ford KA at the moment!.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Just make sure you spec the cable carefully. Some of the cables around attach to the CD changer lead that may or may not be in the car. The VW and Audi changer leads are also a different shape, but as mentioned the phatbox is the same connection.

Some of the Audi/VW boxes have different flash chips on the that hold the code that the box uses to boot up.
(the box boots using the version of Linux that is on the cartridge, they are all the same except the part that uses the serial type chip to talk to the HU)

If you are planning on hacking the box, the site phathack is excellent source of info, and they have now got around the problem of hacking the different flash chips.

Much cheaper than buying a 80Gb Cartridge from Phatnoise /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Useful links

PhatHack

Cable Pinouts

Dicky- PM xvw, I dont think he always reads all the forums on here.. and rumour has it he is driving around in a ford KA at the moment!.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You can find me on ford-ka.net !, Seriously I think everybody on here should be made to drive a ka, it will make you appreciate just how good Audi's are....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Cheers
Rich.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still alive !. You made a good
choice, the phatnoise is excellent. I would recommend upgrading the firmware when you get it. Also when fitting make sure that you leave plenty of room around the d lead or you will get the no cd problem. I had that on mine but since I re-jigged it it is fine. If you need a hand to fit it you are welcome to come over and myself and Jon will give you a hand.

You will also need a UK spec power adaptor for the docking cradle, 9v 1000ma. I may have a spare lying around if you need one.

Sad to hear the s3 is going, what are you getting instead ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info Martin.

I would like to take you up on your offer of coming over to fit it if it still stands? Jon can do my Phone kit at the same time then! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You never know, Jon's " a couple of hours" may actually turn out to be "a couple of hours"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

I've ordered it from the us for $220 (by my maths thats around £130 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Looking forward to getting it now!

No problem, just let me know when you get the phatbox and we will arrange a day (perhaps a whole day !), Saturdays are best.

You have got a good deal at £130, hope you don't get stiffed for any "extras" on delivery.

Ironically I was going to get my 2nd phatbox from the US but didn't as I wanted it quickly and I thought it could end up in a long wait and a load of hassle for not a great saving.

I ended up buying one off ebay from someone who was pretending to be based in the uk but was really in the US who messed me around for a month !

Nightmare.. I've bought it off the guy listed above so hopefully I will get a quick turn around, and hopefully no customs charges!

I'll let you know when I get it and I'l pop down.

Cheers
Rich,.

[ QUOTE ]
Nightmare.. I've bought it off the guy listed above so hopefully I will get a quick turn around, and hopefully no customs charges!

[/ QUOTE ]

If its not with you within 3 working days i'll be surprised.

I ordered mine from that guy in the link on a Thurs evening and it arrived on the following Monday morning.
(I doubt whether Audi Uk would have got it in that time !)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If its not with you within 3 working days i'll be surprised.

I ordered mine from that guy in the link on a Thurs evening and it arrived on the following Monday morning.
(I doubt whether Audi Uk would have got it in that time !)

[/ QUOTE ]

I have sent mine to my works address so hopefully it will be there early next week! Thanks again for the link /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I ordered mine from same guy last week and had £35 customs charges which isnt too bad. Took a week to get which is pretty good, especially considering half of that was down to parcelfarce and customs.
Dont know how they workout what is elligible for customs charges

Bizzare, I never got hit for customs charges, still a good deal though even with £35 on top I reckon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have ordered the same piece of kit from the smae guy so he hjas some business from the uk!

I have bought a PDA from the US and I didn't get charged for weeks for the VAT but it did come through. Not syaing yours will abd hopefully it won't or mine but I am prepared for it.

Thanks for the links as well, plus the maplin one, nothing worse than getting the kit and not being able to use it. Already got my adapter!