What do I look for when buying alloys?

MA3RC

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I've been debating buying some 18 inch alloys for a while, but I'll be honest I have no real idea of what will fit the A3 or not. Like all the offsets etc?

Could someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks

S3 wheels...just so happens I have some for sale!

7c75ce2ccfbfd79eba0e686e04a8126b.jpg

Reactions: illingworth22
S3 wheels...just so happens I have some for sale!

7c75ce2ccfbfd79eba0e686e04a8126b.jpg

They are lovely wheels, just checked the for sale thread! Bit out of my price range for used wheels though.

Over £600 a wheel from Audi plus VAT plus tyres...and these pretty much are new. Not a wide audience for them though I guess cos of price and fitment.

et52 is the stock et but id go a bit lower to fill the arch out a bit especially if lowering. Et45 ish

What to look for, apart from the right offset and hole spacing look for wheels that you are sure are a reputable make, like genuine SH Audi ones perhaps.
There are a lot of Chinese wheels about and there have been a number of catastrophic failures.

Buying cheap wheels may not be the lowest cost option. You spent a lot on your car surely a decent set of wheels is an investment? They will always be worth what you pay for them so long as they are looked after.

Would you buy cheap brake pads? Same thing really.

I won't be buying rip speed lol.. But for just over the £1k mark I'd rather a branded alloy with new tyres that no one else has used :)

Hi Chazd - did you manage to sell the wheels? How much did you get for them?

Cheers.

When shopping around for "A3 wheels", be aware the offset on the saloon is different to the hatchbacks.

I did sell them, got £1300 for them in the end.
Great price. I'm getting my new s3 in a couple of weeks and toying with buying some new BBS straight away. I'm not a total fan of any alloys with a polished face, they tend to deteriorate very quickly in my experience.

Great price. I'm getting my new s3 in a couple of weeks and toying with buying some new BBS straight away. I'm not a total fan of any alloys with a polished face, they tend to deteriorate very quickly in my experience.
If you wanna sell your S3 wheels and tyres, let me know.

Ok mate, will let you know. Fingers crossed I get the car in the next couple of weeks!

They are exactly the same as those chazd has sold. Have you not got a set of these already, or did you opt for the other style for your s3?

Cheers.

Ok mate, will let you know. Fingers crossed I get the car in the next couple of weeks!

They are exactly the same as those chazd has sold. Have you not got a set of these already, or did you opt for the other style for your s3?

Cheers.
Mine had the s line wheels on it as car was already on order as a demo for a dealer, just really fancy some darker wheels to go with my black pack

Many years ago I purchased a set of Wolfrace polished alloy wheels for my Mk1 Golf GTI. What ever I did I could not get them to balance properly. In the end I contacted Wolfrace who's place was close to where I worked at the time. I took the car along to them and they found out that their wheels fitted to the car in a slightly different way to the standard VW wheels. With the VW wheels the wheel is located by the centre hole fitting over a flange on the hub and the wheels bolts just securing to the hub. The centre hole on the Wolfrace wheels was much larger than the hub flange and was actually located by the bolts. Because VW used the hub flange to locate the wheels it did not matter if the fixing holes in the hub were 100% accurate and this was the case with my GTI. In the end they gave me the money back for their wheels and I purchased another set that were specifically designed for the VW range. They balanced with no problems at all.