What do i do?

slater6377

Reaction score
afternoon all
I have a 2004 A4 B6 1.9 tdi sportline.

ive had it just over 10 years and the current mileage is 126k

its been serviced at the correct intervals from new.

its starting to look a little untidy in places ie interior, alloys and bodywork

so here is the dilemma.... the car drives extremely well and has rarely given me any bother .... the bulk of the mileage has been motorway driving so do I spend money doing it up or get rid and buy something newer?

interested in other peoples opinion on this matter

TIA
ian

Last edited:
We're all biased and will say keep it/spend the cash.

It'll be cheaper looking after it than getting a new car.

Reactions: slater6377
thanks jake
that's the way my thinking is going

I'm in exactly the same position. My 2.5tdi is on 205k with a documented history including 19 oil changes and 5 cambelts but there's a few rust patches appearing which winds me up. Can I justify spending more than it's worth? Probably not.

I'm in exactly the same position. My 2.5tdi is on 205k with a documented history including 19 oil changes and 5 cambelts but there's a few rust patches appearing which winds me up. Can I justify spending more than it's worth? Probably not.
well if I thought I could realistically get 205K out of mine then its money well spent baring in mind I could spend 8-10k on a 3 year old bland focus or astra!!!

Reactions: haytch75
I went through this last summer and spent 20k on a Mercedes A class purely on spec and I didn't want an A3 and don't really need another estate. I spent a couple of grand on the B6 and did another couple of mods BUT now wish I had changed it, although it drives very well and has no issues it is still a 13 0dd year old car and when you have the use of something much newer they do show their age. I love my B6 but it will go sometime this year but will definitely be changed for another Audi, most likely a A6 ultra black edition.

Reactions: slater6377 and haytch75
Depends how much you want to spend on it? I used to run a 2001 B5 2.5 TDI Quattro Avant on 165k miles before I sold it last year. I'd serviced it every 10k miles, resprayed the front wings and under rubbing strip on doors, cleaned engine manifold, completely replaced suspension, rebuilt brakes, etc.

I was probably at the same point as you in terms of decisions. My car was due another timing belt, and on V6 model it's £500+ including water-pump. Alloys weren't kerbed, but needed refurbished, so there's another £100 per corner. Alarm module battery had long since expired. Tried to refit lithium batteries, but damn thing kept going off, so disconnected in the end. Also air-bags would probably be due for renewal as car was 16 years old.

I opted to get a newer model, but totally understand the predicament about stick or change.

What I would say is exterior paint work can be damned expensive and on wings it's pointless unless you replace them with genuine VAG part. Wings and a front end refresh including refurbished alloys can work wonders.

Interiors are expensive too. My interior was mint, but I've seen worn driver's seat bolsters thread-bare, with scratched buttons. If everything works as it should, then a steam clean can revive interior and use protector such 3M Scotchgard on interior fabrics. Leather is less forgiving, so depends what you have. Wrapping some interior trim can also bring it up to date.

Reactions: slater6377 and haytch75
Depends how much you want to spend on it? I used to run a 2001 B5 2.5 TDI Quattro Avant on 165k miles before I sold it last year. I'd serviced it every 10k miles, resprayed the front wings and under rubbing strip on doors, cleaned engine manifold, completely replaced suspension, rebuilt brakes, etc.

I was probably at the same point as you in terms of decisions. My car was due another timing belt, and on V6 model it's £500+ including water-pump. Alloys weren't kerbed, but needed refurbished, so there's another £100 per corner. Alarm module battery had long since expired. Tried to refit lithium batteries, but damn thing kept going off, so disconnected in the end. Also air-bags would probably be due for renewal as car was 16 years old.

I opted to get a newer model, but totally understand the predicament about stick or change.

What I would say is exterior paint work can be damned expensive and on wings it's pointless unless you replace them with genuine VAG part. Wings and a front end refresh including refurbished alloys can work wonders.

Interiors are expensive too. My interior was mint, but I've seen worn driver's seat bolsters thread-bare, with scratched buttons. If everything works as it should, then a steam clean can revive interior and use protector such 3M Scotchgard on interior fabrics. Leather is less forgiving, so depends what you have. Wrapping some interior trim can also bring it up to date.
Thanks for that
Cambelt, waterpump changed 10k ago as were discs and pads all round. Just sailed through MOT too.
Love the car, sentimental as i bought it with the money my old man left me when he passed away but torn as what is the best thing to do....
My mechanic says mechanically sound for a good few years yet

I'm in that same boat too..
got a 2004 avant with 146k miles on it.. just passed the mot (but the emissions were high???... never had that before on any of my old diesels) but the mrs wants something newer, but i'm slightly reluctant to spend out on anything.
All you ever read about now is how unreliable newer cars are... whether there is much truth in that or not I don't know, but i'd kick myself if I spent 10k on a newer car for it to be more hassle than the a4.
I've got a 2002 mk4 golf pd 130 still which I bought in 2007, which has been brilliant too.. but they're all getting on now!.

Sorry.. didn't help at all lol

Haha thanks for replying

Looking likely ill be keeping it for now
Need to price jobs up but within reason the car is worth spending on

I'm in that same boat too..
got a 2004 avant with 146k miles on it.. just passed the mot (but the emissions were high???... never had that before on any of my old diesels) but the mrs wants something newer, but i'm slightly reluctant to spend out on anything.

The government will no doubt tax diesels out of existence, but until then we've still one ot two tricks up our sleeves. High emissions at MOT, then think about de-coking the inlet manifolds. A bit like cleaning the oven but much worse! You can also try Forte diesel fuel conditioner straight into the fuel filter, then drive it hard in 2nd and 3rd gear. It'll smoke like a chimney but clear. Replace fuel filter and top up with fresh diesel.

Last edited:
Depends on your driving style, what you want the car for, what would you do with money elsewhere etc etc.

My A4 2.0 Fsi just blew up, and I was going to go down the route of buying another Audi, 2005ish model or so, but after thinking about it and crunching the numbers I've opted for 13 plate SEAT Leon, 14k on the clock. It's the same platform as the golf and A3 but without the price tag, and it'll be reliable for a few years yet. It's got a years warranty then I can extend it if I want at the end also. Seeing as I do nearly 25k a year I've gone down the "sensible" route in terms of hassle and hopefully reliability.

Whatever you choose to do, just make sure it's with your heart and head, buy a car with your heart and you'll have an Alfa, buy it with your head and you'll have a prius, stick with compromise

Depends on your driving style, what you want the car for, what would you do with money elsewhere etc etc.

My A4 2.0 Fsi just blew up, and I was going to go down the route of buying another Audi, 2005ish model or so, but after thinking about it and crunching the numbers I've opted for 13 plate SEAT Leon, 14k on the clock. It's the same platform as the golf and A3 but without the price tag, and it'll be reliable for a few years yet. It's got a years warranty then I can extend it if I want at the end also. Seeing as I do nearly 25k a year I've gone down the "sensible" route in terms of hassle and hopefully reliability.

Whatever you choose to do, just make sure it's with your heart and head, buy a car with your heart and you'll have an Alfa, buy it with your head and you'll have a prius, stick with compromise

Seat engines are the wrong way round! :greyrs4:

Reactions: Pops848
Truthfully keep it. Lil rust here and there. As long as its not falling off the car at every dead policeman. How bout a breakers yard and hold out for your color. As long as its from the same year make model the end result is a compound and wax away from happiness. Anyone else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk