What do I call this part?

Nigeltdi4life

I let one of my sister's smoke in my car the other night and I really regret it. She burnt the door handle on the passenger side, I only noticed it today after I saw some ash on the handle, I wiped it clean and noticed part of the soft touch plastic rubbery material has been melted! Sorry about the bad photos. How hard is it to replace this part? Would I have to remove all of the door card? What should I search for to find this part? Also would there be a difference between 3 door and 5 door? Mines a 3 door.
d6c78b24f55c99b606142eaec0b23730.jpg
8e53f6a754bfe2f6d52c1b7c21797c20.jpg

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

DJAlix

VAG Car Coding™ Limited
Site Sponsor
VCDS Map User
Gold Supporter
VAG Can Professional
ODIS (Offboard Diagnostic System)
In the Audi parts catalogue the part you need is listed as "Armrest", but there are a good few options and colours etc. You would be best calling up your local dealer / parts department, giving them your VIN number and finding out your exact part / part number before looking for a replacement.

Sportback example:

Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 09.14.28-squashed.png

Edit: expect a cost of a none leather / fake leather replacement to be around £93 without fitting.

Boydie

S3 8V DSG
VCDS Map User
It is relatively easy to replace just takes a bit of courage lol

• Remove the door card - there are several torque screws which are easily located
  • Pull the door card off from the corner and bottom first then work your way to the top - this requires a bit of a pull but dont worry, it wont break
  • Dont pull the door card away once it is released as the speaker cable and door latch are attached - disconnect these and the window switches
  • Take door card away
  • Get a 8-10mm drill bit - the handles are plastic welded to the door card, just drill the tops off the welds and then pull the handle away from the front - there should be 10-12 of these
  • Place new handle on the door card and then you have a couple of options
    • Use self tapping screws to secure the armrest
    • Heat the protruding plastic lugs from the new armrest with a heat gun then press down on them with the fat handle end of a screw driver welding them in place (i used both options when replacing mine with leather)
  • Then repeat in reverse order to reinstall

Boydie

S3 8V DSG
VCDS Map User
Have you looked at the price of the 8P version? its twice the price!!

Nigeltdi4life

It is relatively easy to replace just takes a bit of courage lol

• Remove the door card - there are several torque screws which are easily located
  • Pull the door card off from the corner and bottom first then work your way to the top - this requires a bit of a pull but dont worry, it wont break
  • Dont pull the door card away once it is released as the speaker cable and door latch are attached - disconnect these and the window switches
  • Take door card away
  • Get a 8-10mm drill bit - the handles are plastic welded to the door card, just drill the tops off the welds and then pull the handle away from the front - there should be 10-12 of these
  • Place new handle on the door card and then you have a couple of options
    • Use self tapping screws to secure the armrest
    • Heat the protruding plastic lugs from the new armrest with a heat gun then press down on them with the fat handle end of a screw driver welding them in place (i used both options when replacing mine with leather)
  • Then repeat in reverse order to reinstall
Thanks alot for the help mate! Doesn't sound too bad at all although I was hoping there wouldn't be any drilling involved! Found a 2nd hand part on eBay for £42 + shipping from Lithuania, will have to give it a go when I have some time. Would the self tapping screws be good enough alone? Sturdy enough?

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Boydie

S3 8V DSG
VCDS Map User
@Nigeltdi4life my front ones are held on by self tappers and are solid