What discs and pads are people running ?

Jonni

Reaction score
so whilst cleaning my car I noticed a nasty lip on all four discs . And the pads don’t fair much better . So I’m in the market for some new ones .

I have had previous trouble with discs and pads on my blue s3 about 5 year ago . I got pagid discs and pads and they lasted about a hour before the discs where warped . Tried another set and done exactly the same. So I went with oem and everything was fine .

I am wanting to upgrade to something with a little more bite this time .

TPS want £471 for discs and pads all round . So I’m looking for something around that price bracket.

EBC have a deal on atm for blade direction discs and red stuff pads for £479

My question is though whilst upgrading to what should be a better disc . Am I going to get similar disc life from a oem disc as apposed to a EBC disc or any other aftermarket one ?

Oh and popped into my local auto parts place and he quoted me £241 for Delphi discs and pads all round . I said I’ve never heard of Delphi he said they are the oem equivalent . Seems to go to be true so I think i will stay clear .

I was under the impression that pagid were OEM.
When I upgrade my front brake calipers to the S3 variety I will be fitting Vagbremtechnic
J hook discs and maybe EBC red stuff pads.

Pretty sure the rear are 310 standard for the S3, the front should be fine but confirm the part numbers. Checkout the Vagbrem from the link I added above. They are excellent and not much more £ than the classified post.

My original discs warped, replaced them with EBC but it only half solved the judder on the brakes/pedal. Problem may be worn bushes or something similar. I have yet to find the real problem but it does judder on the brakes and it does sometimes have a
high speed wobble like out of balance wheels.

so whilst cleaning my car I noticed a nasty lip on all four discs . And the pads don’t fair much better . So I’m in the market for some new ones .

I have had previous trouble with discs and pads on my blue s3 about 5 year ago . I got pagid discs and pads and they lasted about a hour before the discs where warped . Tried another set and done exactly the same. So I went with oem and everything was fine .

I am wanting to upgrade to something with a little more bite this time .

TPS want £471 for discs and pads all round . So I’m looking for something around that price bracket.

EBC have a deal on atm for blade direction discs and red stuff pads for £479

My question is though whilst upgrading to what should be a better disc . Am I going to get similar disc life from a oem disc as apposed to a EBC disc or any other aftermarket one ?

Oh and popped into my local auto parts place and he quoted me £241 for Delphi discs and pads all round . I said I’ve never heard of Delphi he said they are the oem equivalent . Seems to go to be true so I think i will stay clear .
I have front and rear break disks and pads from S3 for sale mate, I can do you a good deal if you already have the callipers.
Let me know

thank you

I may be selling my fronts - 345mm J-Hooks, covered just over 400 miles... I'll raise a classified it I do.

My original discs warped, replaced them with EBC but it only half solved the judder on the brakes/pedal. Problem may be worn bushes or something similar. I have yet to find the real problem but it does judder on the brakes and it does sometimes have a
high speed wobble like out of balance wheels.

hmmmm tell me more about this judder? is it all the time or just at/from a few heavy stops?

It can be quite bad and other times hardly noticeable. It feels like discs in that rolling at 10 mph if you lightly touch the brakes you can feel them go on off on off as it stops . You can brake quite hard from 100mph and it will be fine 2 times out of 3 then the thirds time it can be quite a judder.
What really bothers me is the high speed wheel wobble like an out of balance wheel, the other day on the M25 i hit 80mph and it started to wobble, by 85 mph i had to back off to 70mph but straight away i took it back past 80mph and it was dead smooth
I thought it was discs and changed the originals out at 45k miles, the guy at the garage said there was nothing wrong with them but it was pumping through the pedal. Any way changed the discs and pads and it made no odds. Its now 15k miles later it still judders on the brakes and has this occasional speed wobble. It s been in the garage and they say there is nothing wrong and they wont take it above 70mph anyway. Had the wheels re balanced last week, makes no odds.

hmmmm ok

I have had a similar thing on track days, like after a couple laps of hard stops whenever I hit the brakes there is a crazy vibration through the wheel/pedal/car like the discs are warped o something...but it only seems to be there when the pads/discs are effectively "hot", which I think if that was the case then it would be constant/all the time, which means the source is probably somewhere else :s

agree but my brake judder is always worse on the motorway, i regularly do 200 mile trips and it always gets worse over a distance however i think its slack in bushes that warm up over time and not disc warp and that's why i get this speed wobble as well over distance and high speed.

Reactions: Simply D
Ive done stints from LDN to the Yorkshire dales in the wee lass n I don't notice that myself, so motorways are generally fine its only on BIG track day hoonages that I tend to get it.

Like yourself though I am looking for a change in direction, but this is a daily driver (as much as one can drive in London), so I don't want to go too aggressive/crazy with pads that need "optimum" operating ranges n stuff

I have front and rear break disks and pads from S3 for sale mate, I can do you a good deal if you already have the callipers.
Let me know

thank you

Yep got the calipers as I have a S3 lol what’s the situation with the discs then ?