What dashcam are people using?

Daniel Gorton

Reaction score
I've had a few close calls recently and all of them have been other drivers putting me at risk. Being 19 with such a fast car people will automatically assume that any accident will be my fault, so I'm looking for a dashcam that's decent quality but not too expensive preferably under £100. If anyone's got any recommendations that'd be great cheers.

Thanks Gazwould I'll take a look at these, previously I found a recommended one that was around £180.

Those DDpai have a lot of good features but doing my research on them people have said they can overheat so when the camera gets to hot it powers down for a hour so to cool off.

I'm either going to buy a blackvue 450 or a company called 'Steelmate' do one at a nice price

Which is strange as they are capacitor and not battery .

What countries are they overheating in ?

Mainly the USA but there was a youtube video of a guy in this country who had the same issue. He solved it by drilling a few holes on one side of it and it fixed the issue but you void the warranty. I was going to order one but with the heat wave we got in June if we get weather like that next year then it will prob shut down so its put me off

Just ordered the DDpai Mini 2 and will let you know if it's any good. If not it'll be sent back.

Anyone got any advice on routing the cable around the windscreen to a he fuse box? Not sure if the tool supplied will be any use as the trim lines to dash seem tight.

DDpai Mini 2
DDpai M6+
Viofo A119 .

I went to Wings & Wheels at the Top Gear track on Sunday and my mate had the A119S - I was impressed with both the size and picture quality so think I'm going to get one of those come payday.

Reactions: N@deeem
Fitted the DDPAI over the weekend. No issues with overheating during hotter weather. Image quality is great and the app is really good as you can view whilst downloading and cancel once you have what you need.

If fitting yourself just remember to insert the lowest part of the A pillar into the doorseal to make it easier to slot the trim into the base of the dashboard.

Good luck with your install.

Reactions: Gazwould
Nice one , bang for buck against the usual Blackview and Thinkwear bandwagon .

Thinking of mounting one right at the top of the windscreen in the tint so it acts as a kind of CPL .

My tint isn't heavy like some blue ones, tried it with mobile phone vid and the tint is subtle .

I've had my Mobius in my 3 series and now in the S4, very good quality and great price

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Does the Mobius have a model number mrbubba?
It's a Mobius 1, don't get the 2, as there are issues with it at the moment. I would buy another one, as it's been great.
Also works as an action camera (GoPro style), I've used it out mountain biking as most of the GoPro stuff works with it

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Fitted the DDPAI over the weekend. No issues with overheating during hotter weather. Image quality is great and the app is really good as you can view whilst downloading and cancel once you have what you need.

If fitting yourself just remember to insert the lowest part of the A pillar into the doorseal to make it easier to slot the trim into the base of the dashboard.

Good luck with your install.

Does the DDPAI have a parking mode do you know, couldn't see anything on their website about it?

How are you finding it, any signs of overheating aft a week?

Also do they do a rear camera or would you just have to buy two?

Yes parking mode when hardwired .

They do a dual camera Thinkwear style called an X2 Pro , front 2592×1520P rear- 1440×896P not bad as most tend to be 1080P and 720P . Think it works out cheaper buying two separately ?

Just noticed there is a mini 2P , wonder what the difference is between a mini 2 ?

@Daniel Gorton - Thinkware F770 front and rear cameras in mine. HD quality on both and works well even in the dark and with privacy glass.

Reactions: Daniel Gorton
Fitted my blackvue 450 and made a error but so far it worked out ok but ill see how I get on at work when I park up for 8 hours. I brought a ODB to USB cable as I was struggling to find someone to hardwire the camera for me. The camera just has a A/C not a USB connection like the DDpai so I thought b*******s iv'e messed up. I thought ill fit it anyway because my phone charger still works when the car is not running so maybe the camera might and it does. Iv'e checked the footage and while it was parked up for 2 hours its recorded me cleaning the car so if you don't want to hardwire a camera and need parking mode you can do it with this one. The battery I have in the car is about a year old so I assume it shouldn't drain it that much but next week ill see

Blackvue are selling refurbished cameras on ebay cheap with a 1 warranty. All looked kosher when it came. Just a dodgy box

Yes parking mode when hardwired .

They do a dual camera Thinkwear style called an X2 Pro , front 2592×1520P rear- 1440×896P not bad as most tend to be 1080P and 720P . Think it works out cheaper buying two separately ?

Just noticed there is a mini 2P , wonder what the difference is between a mini 2 ?

The 2p is distortionless - I think it's supposed to eliminate shaking affecting the image due to ride quality - maybe good for British roads! It only seems available is US ATM.

To be honest it's seems fine without. Might help reading reg plates in darkness on video - most dashcams, including this one aren't great at you being able to read reg plates in the dark. At 1080p I can pause and read registrations no problem. Not tried the 2k resolution yet.

I bought a hardware kit for a similar DDPai model that switches it off before the battery is flat.

Still no signs of overheating last weekend and this week was fairly warm and parking mode worked fine. Don't forget to buy a decent microSD card.

Hi I fitted a road angel to my wife's car which comes with front an rear camera excellent quality picture it has park mode an everything you could want from a camera. I will be purchasing another for my s1 this weekend as I do get scared of the jealous idiots in the car park an idiots that can't drive

@N@deeem

Why are you using 1080P when it's a 1440P camera .

TB2DiWotXXXXXaeXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!2788558980.jpg

Hi I fitted a road angel to my wife's car which comes with front an rear camera excellent quality picture it has park mode an everything you could want from a camera. I will be purchasing another for my s1 this weekend as I do get scared of the jealous idiots in the car park an idiots that can't drive

Which model did you by Dave1978? Thanks

It was the road Angel halo there o eBay for 175 an really easy to fit

Reactions: lfcrule1972
I'm enjoying my blackvue still. Amazing what people you see hanging round your car when your not about

Im using this . Its hardwired so no dangling cables :)
5d30fe2edd51f1c09d78a6944a3b72d4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

@N@deeem

Why are you using 1080P when it's a 1440P camera .

TB2DiWotXXXXXaeXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!2788558980.jpg

Good question! I wanted to see how many days would be stored before over writing and if lower resolution was a compromise too far. Work closely with police for day job and local force is trialling dashcam reporting so I review the footage to see if any poor driving captured is worthy of submission.

And I mean poor/criminal driving - I'm no nimby, but I'm sure we've all seen some shocking behaviour by pond life!

For those of you who have hardwired cameras with parking mode, have you had any issues with them running down the battery?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Most of them should have protection against that and shut off at a certain voltage .

Reactions: Astraeus
Cheers Gaz.

I am leaning toward the Nextbase 312GW having read and watched scores of reviews online. It does strike me that no-one has yet built a "very good" dashcam and compromises are necessary.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk