What colour to choose for an S3 sportback?

Louay

Reaction score
Hello! 2 colours in mind; Panther black or Sepang blue? I like Sepang blue however in the sun it almost looks identical to the my previous sprint blue S3, having looked at numerous pics online I was hoping that it would have a bit more depth to it similar to the focus rs performance blue or the golf r rising blue? Which pearlescent colour out of the audi exclusive pearl effect range was the closest to the current focus rs blue? I do like the panther black for its lesser greyness in the sun and its exclusivety, however, a blue will enhance the black optics pack, roof rails, diffuser and mirror housing and intend to do but really want a pearl effect colour slightly darker than sepang from the audi range. Advice on this would be appreciated! :-S

Suzuka then Panther black or sepang... your lucky to be choosing !!!

There is a darker blue that isn't Sepang, there's an RS3 pic floating about on here somewhere. Get that, or Suzuka.

8e1027ae.jpg

Don't know what the colour is actually called, but looks absolutely amazing!

The above is actually based on Ford performance blue....which is one reason it put us off taking tha above car from Bath Audi.

Sepang is a stunning colour...check out my detail on our TTRS on the Juicy Detailing section (trader) :)

There is a darker blue that isn't Sepang, there's an RS3 pic floating about on here somewhere. Get that, or Suzuka.

8e1027ae.jpg

Don't know what the colour is actually called, but looks absolutely amazing!
This is called Racing Blue Mica.. It's gorgeous.. Do it! :wub: And if it hadn't added such a long wait to the already ridiculous Rs3 wait time, I would've been sorely tempted.....

That mica blue does look sweet, However I can just see stone chips standing out like a treat on it :3sadwalk:

Only live once i guess!

Rock on! :thrashi:

That mica blue does look sweet, However I can just see stone chips standing out like a treat on it :3sadwalk:

Only live once i guess!

Rock on! :thrashi:
He could always get a "car bra" :idea:

He could always get a "car bra" :idea:

Personally I think the bonnet bra's look gash :no:

i spoke to a bloke that had some stuff cut to shape on his sportback that sticks on as is clear. like a second skin, not a full wrap, just like giant pieces of sticky tape stuck in the right places on the bumper and bonnet. forgotten the name of the company now :-/

Personally I think the bonnet bra's look gash :no:

i spoke to a bloke that had some stuff cut to shape on his sportback that sticks on as is clear. like a second skin, not a full wrap, just like giant pieces of sticky tape stuck in the right places on the bumper and bonnet. forgotten the name of the company now :-/

The car bra is lovely....

19051d5c.jpg

:puke2:What a price to pay for protection... And I hate them even more on those stupid little white vauxhall abortion things:motz:

I think it kinda says "I'm incapable of not tailgating" .. Sorry for going OT

jeeeeze I only ha an imagination of it at first as Id seen them on other cars. that is BAD, I'd rather re-spray it than see that all day. plus the fact that when you do take it off, you'll have a bright colour and a dull colour from where the sun has had its way with the paint.

Especially on a red car.. So back on topic, if you fancy the look of a car bra, don't go for red!

Hello! 2 colours in mind; Panther black or Sepang blue? I like Sepang blue however in the sun it almost looks identical to the my previous sprint blue S3, having looked at numerous pics online I was hoping that it would have a bit more depth to it similar to the focus rs performance blue or the golf r rising blue? Which pearlescent colour out of the audi exclusive pearl effect range was the closest to the current focus rs blue? I do like the panther black for its lesser greyness in the sun and its exclusivety, however, a blue will enhance the black optics pack, roof rails, diffuser and mirror housing and intend to do but really want a pearl effect colour slightly darker than sepang from the audi range. Advice on this would be appreciated! :-S
Just as my direct answer, mate.. Mica is definitely the closest to imperial blue.. And I would go for a colour that contrasts with black on the sportback -especially if you have the privacy glass (which IMHO is a must on the SB) otherwise it looks a bit hearse like! Looks great on the 3door black on black, but for SB blue and black will look EPIC with all the optics and rails.... Sounds like you're well on the right track there mate:o.k:

Here's a pic of Racing Blue Mica in the daylight on an SB from a thread on here from a while back.. I had the pic saved cos I liked the colour so much!
8ba96604.jpg

Here's sepang from the other day at my local stealers in the sun.. Apologies for it being a three door, and iPhone camera..
125e3ca8.jpg

848beb3a.jpg

Sepang would be hard to tell apart from Sprint in the sun (if they weren't side by side). I stick by that Mica Blue... and I reckon the Alu pack on the RS3 looks even better than Optics would (but maybe not with an S3 grille).

Sepang would be hard to tell apart from Sprint in the sun (if they weren't side by side). I stick by that Mica Blue... and I reckon the Alu pack on the RS3 looks even better than Optics would (but maybe not with an S3 grille).
100% agree here on the rs3.. Alloy pack with the blue. With the rs3 different grille and diffuser, but optics for sure on the s3

Is the racing blue mica a pearl effect finish and does is it listed as an audi exclusive colour? Have to say it looks absolutely raw!

Dare I say it that the pic of the RS3 in Mica Blue only looks so good due to showroom lighting

the latter pic outside doesn't really do it for me. Just looks like a normal blue. Whereas Sepang outside looks amazing. And having seen a few R8s in Sepang, the colour is awesome.

Was my second choice after Suzuka. I say go Suzuka, but then I would say that!

Dare I say it that the pic of the RS3 in Mica Blue only looks so good due to showroom lighting

the latter pic outside doesn't really do it for me. Just looks like a normal blue. Whereas Sepang outside looks amazing. And having seen a few R8s in Sepang, the colour is awesome.

Was my second choice after Suzuka. I say go Suzuka, but then I would say that!
Sepang does look really nice.. Especially shown off well because it was sunny when I took the pics.. But the OP wanted a colour similar to ford focus RS.. And I reckon Mica is the closest.. I think it will look lovely whichever he goes for

Thanks for posts! Does anyone know if the racing blue mica is a pearl effect or metallic and lastly that it is an audi exclusive colour and not a custom colour and that it can be ordered when specifying car details?

The car bra is lovely....

19051d5c.jpg

:puke2:What a price to pay for protection... And I hate them even more on those stupid little white vauxhall abortion things:motz:

Ah man everytime I see this kinda thing I am in total disbelief people would think its a good idea, rather have stone chips & repair than have that piece of shyte on the front of my car, its terrible.

Blue is my favourite colour so that Sepang Blue looks mint, however, having had 8 years in a WR Blue Subaru I am loving my basic Ibis White S3 for now :)
Since seeing it on here though, I think the Panther Black is an awesome colour too.

Ah man everytime I see this kinda thing I am in total disbelief people would think its a good idea, rather have stone chips & repair than have that piece of shyte on the front of my car, its terrible.

What's interessting is that most people that have these hideous things on their car, don't use it to prevent chipping but because they actually like the look of it :banghead:

RS3 in mica looks sweet, hmm very tempting.

Back on subject i would go for sepang blue as you dont see that many

saw that rs3 pic in cornflower blue N8, looks really good, kinda rs2 blue?

anyways i would say daytona grey love how it looks...wish i went for daytona grey....
RSDG1.jpg

If you can tolerate the micro-scratches that WILL happen, the fact that 10 seconds on the road after a clean you will see the layer of dust and you LOVE washing and polishing on a daily basis go for black. But it WILL only look really really clean for short periods only.
How I cursed the colour choice of my last car, a solid black Honda S2000. Sure it looked mean and evil when clean but I was forever dusting and polishing and going over it with Detailer and a micro-cloth. Agreed not helped by the fact that compared with Audi the paint seemed softer and more vulnerable to scratches.
The Audi METALLIC black does work better though.
Consider also that black and now also white is so on-trend as to be a bit too popular.