What car shall i get next?

DaveA3

Audi A-Trizzle!
Reaction score
Hi All,

I love my car but im starting to think its time for another. This Engine is superb and ill love the tune-ability and the look even for a now 11 year old car it still looks slick and have plenty of toys inside but i fancy a change..

Now the problem is What else is there? I cant think of anything that i really stands out at the moment.

Now my budget depends on my situation im due to be made redundant at the end of the year and should end up with a package of about 11-12k. Now i wouldn't really wanna spend it all so Lets say i have a budget of 7-8k (before anyone says anything id get another job before spending any of this as i have gardening leave for 3 months also)

What are your recommendations?

I need something that is:

Ok on insurance (similar to my 1.8T A3)
Petrol
Something with lowish mileage
Sporty
Pretty quick
7s or faster 0-60 kinda bracket
Looks good
Reasonably reliable
no more than 5-6 years old

Cars that have been pointed out to me so far are:

Renault 197 (but my mate has one cant copy him)
Renault megane 225 or whatever it is
BMW 330
Audi S3 (8L)
Fiesta ST (no thanks)
Focus ST
Seat Leon
A3 8P

Any other ideas? What you buy if you was in the same situation?

Cheers :)

Seat Leon Cupra Mk2 240PS!

thanks for the suggestions i put this in another thread on the a3/s3 and they come up with some similar cars.

The one im edging towards now is the mk5 r32 (i think its mk5) insurance is good and its cheaper than the s3 my only issue is the huge tax bill!

edit: here are the quotes i had:

well ive been priced out of quite a few of the options given due to insurance for example:

cheapest quotes:
M3 = £1593
S3 8P = £2137
Boxster 2.7 = £1090
S3 8L = £993
Nissan 350z 3.5L = £983
BMW m5 8L = £2348
BMW 330 Coupe = £900
Audi RS4 = £2336
Lotus Elise = £1700
Mazda 6 MP = £932
GOLF mk5 R32 = £1065
Seat Leon T FSI Cupra R = £1061
Nissan Skyline R34 = £2258
Subaru Impreza STI = £1819

and just for cracks
Lambourghini Murcialago LP640 = £4215 (Good to know if i ever win the lotto)

Anything around a grand insurance wise im happy with so guess looking at cars similar to the above now hmm made it a little easier looks like itll be something german at least!

Last edited:
Focus ST with a Mongoose decat? Sounds awesome! :wub:

Those insurance quotes hurt Dave, even before tax!

Paying £487 on S3 8P?

Therefore changing my submission to Golf Mk1/2GTi, I'm sure tax withbe outside classic 25 year window (isn't it free then?), and you can start saving for the Lamborghini!

The tax thing is only cars pre 1972 I believe. As far as I know the government made it sound like it was cars over 25 years old, but then decided it was only cars before 1972...which isn't many now :(

The tax thing is only cars pre 1972 I believe. As far as I know the government made it sound like it was cars over 25 years old, but then decided it was only cars before 1972...which isn't many now :(

Typical, thieveing pikeys wouldn't make it worth anyone's while. I bet most of them either have classic cars, friends who have classic cars and they all benefitted from not having to tax their pre 1972 'gold mines'. Keep the rich rich and the poor poor!

id go for a bmw 330 ive had 3 and i dont regret it, they are awesome cars with the RWD - just fancied a change

Focus ST with a Mongoose decat? Sounds awesome! :wub:
just got my missus a st3 09 plate
had the full decat ic cais etc etc
got the sound is unreal and not forgetting the pops and bangs

Hi All,

Cars that have been pointed out to me so far are:

Renault 197 (but my mate has one cant copy him)
Renault megane 225 or whatever it is

From riding in my mate's Clio Cup a few times, I'd personally steer clear of Renaults if you're used to German interiors. The interior on his Clio was very cheap and nasty. It just felt like a tin can with wheels and a big engine bolted to it.

I'd look around for a mint 8L S3 with low miles then throw a few grand at it. Or an S4.

I had a A3 1.8TQS and then sold that and bought a mkiv golf 1.8tGti. I use to love the 1.8t vag engine but now I have Jessica and I can't get enough of that 3.2V6 and the interior is just so much more refined I always regretted selling my first A3 Tqs for the golf but I'm back and loving her.

So my suggestion would be A3 3.2V6 same engine as the R32 golf