What Car Care / Detailing Have You Done Today ?

I've been on my S4 for a week now as I've been "Furloughed" by the company I work for.

Owned her for seven months but the first time I've had a chance to give her a deep clean/detail.
I think the previous owner must have been a fan of the local hand car wash mob going by the amount of swirls in the paintwork, plus my wife's cat likes to sleep on the roof when the suns out so lots of kitty claw marks on the bonnet, roof and boot, I've now told her that if I see her Siamese on the car I will be removing it's feet with my disc cutter!

2 stage machine mop with Ferracla G3 compound followed by G10 finishing polish, 2 coats of Bilt-Hamber Finis wax and a final coat of Ultima ceramic wax
Just the bonnet done at this point and not waxed.
You can see how hazy the paint was if you compare the light reflection on the roof to the bonnet.
IMG 20200328 111437 resized 20200329 091551330

Once I had completed the bodywork I moved onto the wheels, someone in the past (as previously mentioned and not me) had left wheel cleaner on for too long so it had etched into the top coat, so the wheels had the same cutting as the body but finished off with Autobright-Direct Very Berry wheel wax, all by hand as I didn't want to run the risk of cutting through using the DA.
Before
IMG 20200402 171738 resized 20200403 090028937

After
IMG 20200402 171745 resized 20200403 090102979

I also had to change the front discs and pads, as again someone in the past had changed them with genuine Audi/VAG parts but fitted the wrong size discs, 320mm instead of the correct 345mm, it maybe even came from the factory like that as there no sign of them being changed in the full Audi S/H I have and the cars only on 23k miles now (15 plate)
Top 320mm, bottom 345mm
IMG 20200403 131224 resized 20200403 011335472

The pads didn't look to clever
IMG 20200403 134602 resized 20200404 083608150

Like several others while I had the wheels off I painted the brake back plates and washed/polished the calipers.
I didn't do a lot on it over the weekend other than the external trim/rubbers with Autoglym trim/rubber cleaner conditioner.

Start on the inside today (Monday 6th).

Reactions: OCDaveS4, V6_Man, Bulldog and 6 others
I've been on my S4 for a week now as I've been "Furloughed" by the company I work for.

Owned her for seven months but the first time I've had a chance to give her a deep clean/detail.
I think the previous owner must have been a fan of the local hand car wash mob going by the amount of swirls in the paintwork, plus my wife's cat likes to sleep on the roof when the suns out so lots of kitty claw marks on the bonnet, roof and boot, I've now told her that if I see her Siamese on the car I will be removing it's feet with my disc cutter!

2 stage machine mop with Ferracla G3 compound followed by G10 finishing polish, 2 coats of Bilt-Hamber Finis wax and a final coat of Ultima ceramic wax
Just the bonnet done at this point and not waxed.
You can see how hazy the paint was if you compare the light reflection on the roof to the bonnet.
View attachment 200371

Once I had completed the bodywork I moved onto the wheels, someone in the past (as previously mentioned and not me) had left wheel cleaner on for too long so it had etched into the top coat, so the wheels had the same cutting as the body but finished off with Autobright-Direct Very Berry wheel wax, all by hand as I didn't want to run the risk of cutting through using the DA.
Before View attachment 200367
AfterView attachment 200368

I also had to change the front discs and pads, as again someone in the past had changed them with genuine Audi/VAG parts but fitted the wrong size discs, 320mm instead of the correct 345mm, it maybe even came from the factory like that as there no sign of them being changed in the full Audi S/H I have and the cars only on 23k miles now (15 plate)
Top 320mm, bottom 345mm
View attachment 200369
The pads didn't look to clever
View attachment 200370

Like several others while I had the wheels off I painted the brake back plates and washed/polished the calipers.
I didn't do a lot on it over the weekend other than the external trim/rubbers with Autoglym trim/rubber cleaner conditioner.

Start on the inside today (Monday 6th).

Top top work so far mate. I reckon you are gonna need to get that disc cutter prepped

Reactions: Bulldog
Never use masking tape...besides l thought would mention something about a product l have had for years....but only used it by hand a couple of years...before l purchased a DA

So when i decided it was time or should l say when the weather was nice last week l finished correcting the bonnet of my car....l came across what looked like a paint blemish caused by something less blunt than say a stone...so tried perfect finish twice...nope didnt work...Thought i'd try some Gtechniq perfect nano polish...**** me..it was gone and the paint smoothness was unbelievable ....awesome stuff....

Reactions: OCDaveS4 and NevMan
Gave the car a good once over today after finally getting round to fitting my RS grill over the weekend. Also while the front wheels were off I freshened up the hubs & brake splash guards I’ll do the rears at the weekend. Car wasn’t very dirty so just washed with Gwash AF imperial for the wheels Megs endurance on the tyres Af Crystal for the glass & CC Speciale for the body & 2 coats C2v3 on the grill & wheels & megs metal polish & 0000 grade wire wool for the exhaust.

B4B6BBA2 EB69 4693 865B C614A424FBCB

74D6C1F3 27F0 468E ADF8 E9057462BF36

29BC904D 94B0 4E5B BA58 E760451A6E4F

A3491DE3 8CF0 4A70 8CB1 6FE0EF6EA2EA

4294472C 09D0 4B3C 88AA 8B20AEE7DEFB

B7DB2BEB DC4A 4F03 9033 2C9A41F4AC49

Link to fitting grill if anyone’s interested.
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/rs-grill-finally-fitted.416130/

Reactions: THQuattro, Jonnie, Andy Butcher and 5 others
Never use masking tape...besides l thought would mention something about a product l have had for years....but only used it by hand a couple of years...before l purchased a DA

So when i decided it was time or should l say when the weather was nice last week l finished correcting the bonnet of my car....l came across what looked like a paint blemish caused by something less blunt than say a stone...so tried perfect finish twice...nope didnt work...Thought i'd try some Gtechniq perfect nano polish...**** me..it was gone and the paint smoothness was unbelievable ....awesome stuff....

What's wrong with masking tape made to be used on paint?

What's wrong with masking tape made to be used on paint?
Find it time consuming to apply and messy to remove ...only place l have used masking tape is on the A pillar black gloss panels on the doors of my car....reason to protect the window rubber seals...pain in the *** to remove excess polish....anywhere else on the car l dont need it l may use a tiny bit as a stop/sart marker ie a couple of inches long whilst doing a large panel like the bonnet or a door...it helps a lot if you have 2 sizes of DA's....l have xfe 12-80 and the xfe 15-125

Reactions: Ricky Burrows, NevMan and Kayobong

Jassy

How does the gtechniq compare to Megs Ultimate compound when used by hand. The reason I ask is I've got some bird etching that the Megs won't remove by hand (no DA). It improves a bit with Bilt Hamber Cleanser Polish but obviously I'm only filling and would like to get rid of it if possible

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Find it time consuming to apply and messy to remove ...only place l have used masking tape is on the A pillar black gloss panels on the doors of my car....reason to protect the window rubber seals...pain in the *** to remove excess polish....anywhere else on the car l dont need it l may use a tiny bit as a stop/sart marker ie a couple of inches long whilst doing a large panel like the bonnet or a door...it helps a lot if you have 2 sizes of DA's....l have xfe 12-80 and the xfe 15-125

I've only got the larger size DA, I find good quality tape helps a lot.

Reactions: Andy Butcher and Jassyo06
Jassy

How does the gtechniq compare to Megs Ultimate compound when used by hand. The reason I ask is I've got some bird etching that the Megs won't remove by hand (no DA). It improves a bit with Bilt Hamber Cleanser Polish but obviously I'm only filling and would like to get rid of it if possible

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

l cant comment on the Megs mate but you can buy a 100ml bottle of P1 Nano polish for around £8.....it's lovely stuff......bird **** etchings are the most difficult thing to remove

Last edited:
Reactions: V6_Man and Taxboy
Tried out Gtechniq L1 and I have been impressed. Simple product to use and a lovely Matt finish. I’ll see how it performs, but a thumbs up from me :thumbs up:

B35C4D1B 4F86 43FF 962D EDCE8AB9E129

Reactions: Andy Butcher, THQuattro, Jimbob76 and 9 others
Used up the last of the Matt Effect Sonax cockpit cleaner.

Got something different to try next for the interior..

IMG 20200404 163510

Noticed the car matts are looking a bit shabby now. So need new ones.

Reactions: Jimbob76, V6_Man, Bristle Hound and 2 others
Painted the brake backing plates
Removed the interior mats. Gave it a good hoover out the applied autoglym interior lifeshine fabric protector to all the surfaces

Reactions: V6_Man
Gave the X3 a good clean yesterday :thumbs up:

VP CPW
Garage Therapy One pure car shampoo
Coat of Gyeon Cure
Tyres dressed with Megs Endurance tyre gel

qP7oir0l.jpg

a1sboRgl.jpg

YoHGIFql.jpg

Reactions: THQuattro, Pinky1959, NevMan and 8 others

VP CPW
Coat of Gyeon Cure

qP7oir0l.jpg

a1sboRgl.jpg

YoHGIFql.jpg

Do you use the meguiars tyre dressing applicator?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you use the meguiars tyre dressing applicator?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Save yourself a few quid and use them little square dish washing sponges.
Top tip there.

Oh and nitrile gloves
Second tip there also lol

Reactions: davemk, Bristle Hound, Bulldog and 2 others

VP CPW
Coat of Gyeon Cure

qP7oir0l.jpg

a1sboRgl.jpg

YoHGIFql.jpg
Looking tip top as per usual :thumbs up:

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Been busy

Attachments

• A097F76B-3270-437F-B051-FCA8F6EC8635.jpeg
    A097F76B-3270-437F-B051-FCA8F6EC8635.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 204
Reactions: CHEZ and Bristle Hound
Top tip there.

Oh and nitrile gloves
Chez but then your hands don't smell of the megs stuff. Which we all know is

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Chez but then your hands don't smell of the megs stuff. Which we all know is

They have done though.
That's not the problem.
It's everything friggin else you touch after that's the issue

Reactions: feva
They have done though.
That's not the problem.
It's everything friggin else you touch after that's the issue
Certainly gets everywhere

Reactions: CHEZ
Sure does mate.
Had it all over my garage door handle a few times.
Nearly do a somersault when grabbing hold of it ! :wtf:
I walk like a zombie arms out stretched till I get to the sink to wash them

Reactions: Bulldog and Bristle Hound
Then it goes on your freshly cleaned seats chief!
Honestly, trust me, it's like liquid eels is that Meg's endurance.
I love it
No cheek to open the house door
But I'll take your advice gloves next time

Only products I wear gloves for are tyre dressing and bumper black!

Reactions: Bulldog and CHEZ
Top tip there.

Oh and nitrile gloves

I've already got the applicatior, it's okay but not overly impressive.

Top tip there.

Oh and nitrile gloves

Also Nitrile gloves are one of the first detailed related purchases I made. Very good tip.

a55a3c898d00c88b2b2d8699d21bce56.jpg

Whipped out the DA and polished two of my new Monzas, came up rather well. Much quicker than doing it by hand.

Reactions: NevMan, Bryant1998, Jassyo06 and 7 others
WheelAll

Wheel35

Wheel1

Since you're all loving the wheel work I've been doing, here's the finished article. All done, very happy indeed.

Reactions: NevMan, SPIKE_, Adam14 and 3 others
Also I should add the tyres will be replaced with Goodyear Assy 5 or Michelin PS4 once tyre shops open up again.

Reactions: NevMan, Bryant1998 and Jassyo06