What Car Care / Detailing Have You Done Today ?

I thought these ‘mohawk / spikes’ offered extra rim protection. I would leave these as they are . If anything I’d paint them white to get the ‘stealth look’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jimbob76, Jassyo06 and DW81
The 'nibs' or 'spikes' serve 2 purposes during manufacture, firstly the holes the are formed in allow any air present in the mould to escape and secondly they give an indication of how full the mould was on curing, they all have to be at least 3mm long to prove that the mould was full. they then serve no purpose and will probably be worn off the first time they are 'gently brushed against a kerb!)
Technial name 'sypes'

Reactions: Jimbob76
The 'nibs' or 'spikes' serve 2 purposes during manufacture, firstly the holes the are formed in allow any air present in the mould to escape and secondly they give an indication of how full the mould was on curing, they all have to be at least 3mm long to prove that the mould was full. they then serve no purpose and will probably be worn off the first time they are 'gently brushed against a kerb!)
Technial name 'sypes'

848212c649d7e86bc9ed0d6f8277a387.jpg

I think you are referring to sipes (Sypes) which are the little slots in winter rubber.

Checked and current technical term is vent 'teats', personally I like them, nothing like a new set of rubber!!!

Reactions: Jassyo06
I've had Pzeros fitted with these spikes cut off obviously in the production process but with the base still visible you'll never get these rubber spikes removed totally unless you use a Stanley knife blade then you risk shaving a little off the sidewalls l have similar spikes on my factory fitted Pzero R01's on the TT

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Potterswheel
There is a specific tool for removing the 'vent teats' and this is both easy and effective, I will try to get some info, watch this space.

Reactions: NevMan
Is this teats,spikes or whatever they are called that bad or annoying to you guys? Can’t believe there’s a tool to remove them.
It’s one of those things that I’ve never cared too much about it or go to the extent to cut them off.

Reactions: Potterswheel, NevMan and Adam14
There is a specific tool for removing the 'vent teats' and this is both easy and effective, I will try to get some info, watch this space.
outside of a stanley blade, for which you would need a steady hand, a nail clipper would probably do the job, but as @AlS3BE says, not something I have ever really worried about or done

Reactions: AlS3BE
Technial name 'sypes'
Good knowledge @Potterswheel - 'brushing off' the 'sypes' on a kerb isn't a technique I'll be employing (I know that's not what you were suggesting :sadlike: ). Think I'll stick the old girl back in the garage and wait for them to evaporate...

'Teats', lol - I'm definitely calling them that from now on. Nail clippers aren't a bad shout.

If 3mm indicates a full mould - then I've got some donkey's **** teats on mine :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: SPIKE_
Had a spare hour this evening, and it wasn't raining for once, so pulled her out of the garage and ticked off a couple of little jobs...

Finally got around to de-nibbing the new set of tyres. Before...

And after. Much better...

Then, the cheapest performance mod there is - correct tyre pressures. I do these regularly with a RING cordless lithium-ion tyre inflator. No messing about waiting in the queue at the supermarket, or plugging into the car's 12v socket - it's decent bit of kit, I use it a lot on both our cars. Recommend.

Stows nicely (in it's little case) in the gap under the front passenger seat of the S3 as well...

...then, as it's only been driven once since the last wash a fortnight ago, and has been tucked away in the garage since and was just a bit dusty, she had a quick tickle with the old Ken Dodd tickle stick, and a quick once over with quick detailer...

Before back in the garage, just in time before it started raining. Again.

She's just had her 4th birthday, and just ticked over 13k miles. She's no garage queen, I just live close to where I work, and I haven't even had to go there much this last year. Have a couple of decent road trips/weekends away planned with the boys though in the next 2 months (lockdown easing permitting), so looking forward to stretching her legs :blackrs4:

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 204
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Jassyo06, josul, AlS3BE and 3 others
Had a spare hour this evening, and it wasn't raining for once, so pulled her out of the garage and ticked off a couple of little jobs...

View attachment 237200

View attachment 237199

Then, the cheapest performance mod there is - correct tyre pressures. I do these regularly with a RING cordless lithium-ion tyre inflator. No messing about waiting in the queue at the supermarket, or plugging into the car's 12v socket - it's decent bit of kit, I use it a lot on both our cars. Recommend.

View attachment 237201

Stows nicely (in it's little case) in the gap under the front passenger seat of the S3 as well...

View attachment 237202

...then, as it's only been driven once since the last wash a fortnight ago, and has been tucked away in the garage since and was just a bit dusty, she had a quick tickle with the old Ken Dodd tickle stick, and a quick once over with quick detailer...

View attachment 237203

View attachment 237204

She's just had her 4th birthday, and just ticked over 13k miles. She's no garage queen, I just live close to where I work, and I haven't even had to go there much this last year. Have a couple of decent road trips/weekends away planned with the boys though in the next 2 months (lockdown easing permitting), so looking forward to stretching her legs :blackrs4:

Nice. What did you use to de-nib them?

View attachment 237200

View attachment 237199

View attachment 237201

View attachment 237202

View attachment 237203

View attachment 237204

Love this car @Jimbob76, and also your attention to detail. The overall combo of being a Sportback, DG paint, wheel choice and the rotor grey seats just works so well :thumbs up:

Reactions: Jassyo06, Jimbob76 and NevMan

View attachment 237200

View attachment 237199

View attachment 237201

View attachment 237202

View attachment 237203

View attachment 237204

Lovely looking car and like your cordless tyre inflator but my ocd can see you need to clean your vc. Too many streaks and what looks like a paw print on the right side.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Jimbob76
Great work on the tyres!!!!! couldn't get image of the tool for the job. My contact played the ' industrial espionage ' card. !!!!!!!

View attachment 237200

View attachment 237199

View attachment 237201

View attachment 237202

View attachment 237203

View attachment 237204

cracking job as always mate, that S3 looks the biz!!! Thanks to you, I have had a cordless ring on my amazon wish list for about 18 months, must pull the trigger at some point ;-)

Nice. What did you use to de-nib them?

A pair of wire cutters mate - perfect for the job, stretch out the 'teat' and snip - you can get really close to the sidewall using these. I'm such a child - the word 'teat' does make me snigger :blush:

Wire cutters

Love this car @Jimbob76, and also your attention to detail. The overall combo of being a Sportback, DG paint, wheel choice and the rotor grey seats just works so well :thumbs up:

Cheers buster, don't forget the roof rails - a Sportback doesn't look right without 'em IMO - still very happy with the car after 3 years of ownership, just need to drive it more!

Lovely looking car and like your cordless tyre inflator but my ocd can see you need to clean your vc. Too many streaks and what looks like a paw print on the right side.

You're not wrong re: the Virtual Cockpit mate - it's a disgrace and you're right to pull me up on it. Will get that sorted pronto (you've shamed me into it, lol).

cracking job as always mate, that S3 looks the biz!!! Thanks to you, I have had a cordless ring on my amazon wish list for about 18 months, must pull the trigger at some point ;-)

Thanks Nev - definitely recommend the cordless RING tyre inflator, bought it in a grumpy old man rage when I was sat in a queue at the supermarket petrol station, watching a complete flute take 10 mins to do their tyre pressures while chatting away happily on their phone. So got on the phone while I was still in the queue, ordered one via Argos fast-track click and collect from the store on the same retail park and a few minutes later I was on my way home - don't miss garage forecourt tyre checks in the slightest!

Reactions: NevMan, Bishop187 and AlS3BE
As I have 4 months to wait for my car I thought I'd try some head to head wax / sealant tests on my bonnet to work out what Im going to do when it finally arrives.
First up my winter favourite Collinite 845 V's one of the new ones - 303 Graphene nano spray.

I clayed, polished and wiped down the paintwork with Bilt Hamber cleanser to give the test the best shot, both are really easy to apply but the Collinite was slightly easier to wipe off and oddly when giving the bonnet a final wipe over the side with the 303 gave more resistance to the microfibre than the other side.

Happy to report back on longevity if anyone is interested ?
I would have posted a coupe of pics but I ran out of detailing tape and ending up using some PTFE tape instead and it looked a bit noddy :)

As I have 4 months to wait for my car I thought I'd try some head to head wax / sealant tests on my bonnet to work out what Im going to do when it finally arrives.
First up my winter favourite Collinite 845 V's one of the new ones - 303 Graphene nano spray.

I clayed, polished and wiped down the paintwork with Bilt Hamber cleanser to give the test the best shot, both are really easy to apply but the Collinite was slightly easier to wipe off and oddly when giving the bonnet a final wipe over the side with the 303 gave more resistance to the microfibre than the other side.

Happy to report back on longevity if anyone is interested ?
I would have posted a coupe of pics but I ran out of detailing tape and ending up using some PTFE tape instead and it looked a bit noddy :)
Always good to get real world experience of longevity or otherwise of LSP. The problem with a lot of the YouTube reviews is they will tell you how easy it is to apply and doesn't it look glossy but seldom is there a follow up. Some do I know Detailing and the Beast is running updates on Turtle Wax Ceramic and Grapheme wax

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Reactions: TSFIe
Cleaned my driveshaft protectors

Attachments

• IMG_20210514_121859.jpg
    IMG_20210514_121859.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 177
  • IMG_20210514_121916.jpg
    IMG_20210514_121916.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 171
  • IMG_20210521_150136.jpg
    IMG_20210521_150136.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 175
Reactions: Jassyo06 and AlS3BE
I used some Fireball product l purchased a few years back it was expensive about £70 can't remember its exact name but it beads/sheets water/rain like nothing else l have come across that includes gyeon ceramic coatings but it doesn't have their durability but it does give a great glossy finish even on guff turbo blue just a pity you can't purchase Fireball products anymore in the UK

Attachments

• 20210621_210943.jpg
    20210621_210943.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 164
Reactions: BarryG79, AllanG, AlS3BE and 1 other person
Any wax on a Red car looks the dogs mate,as you know l have the Fireball Fusion wax its actually more expensive than the Enigma...its not worth it as durability is not the best,Fireball Nano coat is far better in every way,so when mines runs out i'll be on the look out for something similar..Fireball coating wax is one of the best products l have ever used...gloss and especially beading are off the scale and perfect beading lasts about 3 weeks. or even more if applied on top of Nano Coat and Red doesnt suit that car....much prefer it in Silver Grey or Black
Fireball Nano Coat @jassyo06?

Fireball Nano Coat @jassyo06?
THATS the stuff mate its unreal smells very strong alcohol/chemicals a little goes a long long way much like a ceramic coating but buffs off like a sealant l found a Canadian site Carzilla that sells Fireball products will email them and find out if they ship to the uk

Reactions: SPIKE_
THATS the stuff mate its unreal smells very strong alcohol/chemicals a little goes a long long way much like a ceramic coating but buffs off like a sealant l found a Canadian site Carzilla that sells Fireball products will email them and find out if they ship to the uk
A few others worth a try:

4a9c3de5c0541bdd4fbd4ca0b28e1370.jpg

38445f2feb5ea86eb83917a148919093.jpg

29e42da28e8cdd2d1261b363b9a4f8d4.jpg

4788ad42baa9aecf8e5a77fceafa896c.jpg

Gave the Golf its yearly deep clean this week. Used mainly used TJ’s products with A* results as always.

Full decontamination and the finished off with his ceramic wax. For ages I’ve not waxed by hand but this stuff is well worth the effort. Typically the next day the birds used the car as target practice but after using a big of QD spray it came straight off with no etching. On the bumpers I used that new graphene spray from turtle wax

e0718b581dddbad9c7f6cce08a15ac90.jpg

9796d1cba92e493137cff6b44e6aeb97.jpg

Ceramic wax doing it’s thing in the rain

Cooper S given a clean, and leather cleaned and sealed.

28515530c9fec88990d05ae474b87259.jpg

c871e80c1f760c9c9169cdabdba12924.jpg

d47eb6c827a98668dd047344d3b67feb.jpg

8f21abde56a5ce444fb6f209dfc63309.jpg

fb7dfc2d5e82b3c0a5d1e1ccc695d09b.jpg

Reactions: Jimbob76, millby, SPIKE_ and 3 others
Mrs SiPie added a Q2 yesterday which needed bringing up to scratch today. White car family !
C92E8096 F5E3 4368 B142 FD2398129A77

Just ordered a Lilly Brush to attempt to remove dog hair from the boot of my old car before it goes up for sale, arrives tomorrow - will report back with results!

Just ordered a Lilly Brush to attempt to remove dog hair from the boot of my old car before it goes up for sale, arrives tomorrow - will report back with results!
Can confirm this works really well.
Best c.£15 spent for car cleaning - it’s incredible how quickly it gathers hair from boot carpet.

Spent a lot of the last two days, correcting, and then ceramic coating wife’s new Abarth 595. Nice paint to work with to be fair. Used Flex XFE-7-15 with hex green pads and Sonax perfect finish. Then used black finishing pads with Gyeon Q2 Prime ready for the coating. Coated with Gyeon Q2 Pure. Love this stuff. Nice and thick so single coat, and flashes quickly (especially outside!!) so can be wiped off without too much effort. Tomorrow onto the alloys with GTechniq C5 and will dress the tyres and protect interior.

bae349d456efa6dd2fc3a183679262a6.jpg

8e9d10480f89c0c5a24722837bcc7c88.jpg

7f5feda0842ef7fc31a05c970d416686.jpg

19760df1d914b35e72718b09886f5cf5.jpg

e342b4715adf693b744775bafbb7f96a.jpg

e51fcde358e77874e985d556da6a9dd4.jpg

2b62753cefebcffa59587abb12d83635.jpg

• Love
Reactions: BarryG79, SiPie, Jimbob76 and 5 others
Spent a lot of the last two days, correcting, and then ceramic coating wife’s new Abarth 595. Nice paint to work with to be fair. Used Flex XFE-7-15 with hex green pads and Sonax perfect finish. Then used black finishing pads with Gyeon Q2 Prime ready for the coating. Coated with Gyeon Q2 Pure. Love this stuff. Nice and thick so single coat, and flashes quickly (especially outside!!) so can be wiped off without too much effort. Tomorrow onto the alloys with GTechniq C5 and will dress the tyres and protect interior.

bae349d456efa6dd2fc3a183679262a6.jpg

8e9d10480f89c0c5a24722837bcc7c88.jpg

7f5feda0842ef7fc31a05c970d416686.jpg

19760df1d914b35e72718b09886f5cf5.jpg

e342b4715adf693b744775bafbb7f96a.jpg

e51fcde358e77874e985d556da6a9dd4.jpg

2b62753cefebcffa59587abb12d83635.jpg
Awesome but having owned 2 Fiats one a nice metallic blue bit like Scuba blue 2005 it was ok.... but the other was a Grande Punto Abarth 2008 was in a flat red paint.... it was guff and very high maintenance but then again Honda's Misano red was even worse same with all cars from Japan/Korea German clear coats are far more tougher

Thanks mate. Would imagine flat red could be a bit of a nightmare. Will let you know how this maintains, but so far having used Pure (your recommendation!) on a couple black car’s (which as you know are a nightmare themselves) they cleaned up pretty easily…but didn’t stay clean long . Really looking forward to
My white silver JCW for maintenance. Even contemplating getting it done by a pro, using Carbon Collective Pro Series 9H, or for extra could go Gyeon Duraflex. But I may change my mind and do it myself. Felling a little jaded having done two cars in a week (father in law’s countryman and now the Abarth).

Thanks mate. Would imagine flat red could be a bit of a nightmare. Will let you know how this maintains, but so far having used Pure (your recommendation!) on a couple black car’s (which as you know are a nightmare themselves) they cleaned up pretty easily…but didn’t stay clean long . Really looking forward to
My white silver JCW for maintenance. Even contemplating getting it done by a pro, using Carbon Collective Pro Series 9H, or for extra could go Gyeon Duraflex. But I may change my mind and do it myself. Felling a little jaded having done two cars in a week (father in law’s countryman and now the Abarth).
It's hard graft indeed mate av got a 50 ml kit of pure bought it off my Boss as he got his SVR done by a so named Pro=£900 instead,my problem is finding the time/energy to apply it

It's hard graft indeed mate av got a 50 ml kit of pure bought it off my Boss as he got his SVR done by a so named Pro=£900 instead,my problem is finding the time/energy to apply it

Ouch…£900 notes. Out of interest I have got a quote from a detailer who could do my new car before collection (they work with dealer for timings etc).

£650 for usual single stage and Carbon Collective 9H Pro range, or extra £150 for Gyeon Q2 Duraflex (5 year vs 3). Considering this or doing it myself with Pure or maybe MOHS. As you say it is the time. Took advantage of the good weather this week to do the Abarth over 3 days…1st day - decon, wash, correction. 2nd day - re-wash, panel wipe, ceramic. 3rd day - alloys, tips, interior. Estimate in total I spent 10-12 hours on it, but then a tiny car . Contemplating getting a rock awning (pop up gazebo) at some point to help with shade/rain etc

Could just do bonnet and fenders one day, and gradually do the rest, but can imagine hard to motivate when you are not loving the car or colour. SO looking forward to being rid of black car (still have Cooper S that I will shift before new one arrives)

Ouch…£900 notes. Out of interest I have got a quote from a detailer who could do my new car before collection (they work with dealer for timings etc).

£650 for usual single stage and Carbon Collective 9H Pro range, or extra £150 for Gyeon Q2 Duraflex (5 year vs 3). Considering this or doing it myself with Pure or maybe MOHS. As you say it is the time. Took advantage of the good weather this week to do the Abarth over 3 days…1st day - decon, wash, correction. 2nd day - re-wash, panel wipe, ceramic. 3rd day - alloys, tips, interior. Estimate in total I spent 10-12 hours on it, but then a tiny car . Contemplating getting a rock awning (pop up gazebo) at some point to help with shade/rain etc
Mohs alone ain't that hydrophobic mate its actually more of a undercoat for Skin so l would just stick with the pure
I am going to apply Pure to Jordan's new TTS BE

Spent a lot of the last two days, correcting, and then ceramic coating wife’s new Abarth 595. Nice paint to work with to be fair. Used Flex XFE-7-15 with hex green pads and Sonax perfect finish. Then used black finishing pads with Gyeon Q2 Prime ready for the coating. Coated with Gyeon Q2 Pure. Love this stuff.

Top effort Nev - looks great, and looks like a very satisfying colour to detail!

Grabbed myself a right little bargain this week. I’m lucky enough to be able to garage the S3, but even so, once she’s been detailed and tucked back in the garage, a week later, without any use, she’ll be covered in dust, pollen and spider poop. I’ve fancied an indoor car cover for a while, but a proper fitted one can cost silly money. Found a universal fit cover from Cosmos on Amazon for £32, and thought it was worth a punt at that price. It’s ruddy fantastic! Stretchy poly-cotton with a VERY soft inside and size medium fits a 2017 Sportback like a glove. Ok, so it doesn’t fully cover the side sills at the moment, but thats only because I currently have the roof bars on. When the bars are off (99% of the time), it’ll cover the side sills. Comes with a decent little storage bag as well. Will only use when the car is 100% clean to avoid dragging dirt over the paint, but she can go a week or two without being used after a detail so this will do a job for me.

8C762A83 7CA4 4C27 BB24 2C30801DA2B6
BF0F201B F5A1 40B9 AC62 F2E6863524F7
126DC20D C019 457C 9D8F 69DC42BBD4AD

Last edited:
Reactions: josul, Jassyo06 and NevMan
Mohs alone ain't that hydrophobic mate its actually more of a undercoat for Skin so l would just stick with the pure
I am going to apply Pure to Jordan's new TTS BE

Yes, the MOHS kit comes with Skin. So 2 coats of MOHS then Skin, but to
Be fair the Pure is ****** good IMHO

Top effort Nev - looks great, and looks like a very satisfying colour to detail!

Grabbed myself a right little bargain this week. I’m lucky enough to be able to garage the S3, but even so, once she’s been detailed and tucked back in the garage, a week later, without any use, she’ll be covered in dust, pollen and spider poop. I’ve fancied an indoor car cover for a while, but a proper fitted one can cost silly money. Found a universal fit cover from Cosmos on Amazon for £32, and thought it was worth a punt at that price. It’s ruddy fantastic! Stretchy poly-cotton with a VERY soft inside and size medium fits a 2017 Sportback like a glove. Ok, so it doesn’t fully cover the side sills at the moment, but thats only because I currently have the roof bars on. When the bars are off (99% of the time), it’ll cover the side sills. Comes with a decent little storage bag as well. Will only use when the car is 100% clean to avoid dragging dirt over the paint, but she can go a week or two without being used after a detail so this will do a job for me.

View attachment 239925View attachment 239926View attachment 239927

Thanks mate, yes it is shiny as ****.
Nice bargain there on the cover