1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

What Car Care / Detailing Have You Done Today ?

Bristle Hound Dec 28, 2018

1. samisnake

samisnake Registered User

Yeah you read it right.
    The uc takes out as much of the defects as possible, the srp hides anything left and adds gloss.
    Once the srp wears off, the paint underneath is still nice.

What's the issue

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. jassyo06

jassyo06 T-Cut King !

Just saying your doing wrong....That's All

4. Jimbob76

Jimbob76 Roof Rails Enthusiast

We were off on holiday. 2 weeks away is a long time to spend 24/7 with the missus, especially after several months of lockdown. Good to have body transportation/disposal options :whistle2:

Scotty75, jassyo06 and X3man like this.
  5. samisnake

The paintwork looks good at the end of it, what did I do wrong.
    I'm not a pro, always willing to learn, but atm all youve mentioned is that srp is used by weekend warriors.

My thinking was along the lines of the srp would be the polish stage after cutting with uc.

6. Jimbob76

You've got yourself a decent finish, so be happy.

I think the point our Jassy was making was you’ve done half the job with the DA and Megs compound to correct the paint :thumbs up:...

...but then finished off with a hand polish using a product that fills scratches with resins and fillers without actually correcting the paint (or not by much). So you’ve gone so far, then given up?

The method you’ve used is just a bit unusual pal, that’s all.

josul and X3man like this.
  7. samisnake

I'm with you.
    What would have been a better alternative to the srp?

Jimbob76 likes this.
  8. Jimbob76

After using the ‘cutting’ polish, use a finishing polish with the DA to remove any holograms etc.

Same concept as when using sandpaper on wood - start with a coarse paper to do the hard work, and finish with a finer grade to get rid of the scratch marks caused by the coarse grade and get a really smooth finish.

Selection of finishing polishes here...

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/paint-correction/car-polish-compounds/fine-cut-polishes

X3man, jassyo06 and samisnake like this.
  9. samisnake

Cheers, will look into getting one for the next time

Jimbob76 likes this.
  10. Bristle Hound

Bristle Hound Moderator Staff Member Moderator

@samisnake - ^ This
    You'll be lucky to see the effects of SRP last longer than 5-7 days TBH
    If your wanting to use a glaze there a better, longer lasting ones out there
    I just don't know why you would use a glaze after machining your car

Plenty of info on DW if you dare to have a look
    I warn you it could cost lol
    https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php

Jimbob76, X3man and jassyo06 like this.
  11. S32B

S32B Registered User

Last weekend I decided to to a decent clean on mine, not had a proper deep clean since last year!

This was after I had put the iron out on it!!! For those that don't know when it turns pink it's found fallout on the paint!

iron1.jpg iron2.jpg iron3.jpg iron4.jpg

This was after I'd finished:

clean1.jpg
    clean2.jpg

V6_Man, Pinky1959, Jonnie and 3 others like this.
  12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. X3man

X3man Well known member

14. S32B

S32B Registered User

Didn't I just, I was shocked when I saw it.

X3man likes this.
  15. Kayobong

Kayobong Registered User

Gave the interior a nice clean; used some valet pro leather cleaner on the steering wheel, seats and the rest of the leather bits. I used sonax cockpit cleaner for the rest of the interior. Got a nice Matt look on the leather now although it needs some work on the bolsters are they’re showing some more serious wear.

[​IMG]

S32B, Bristle Hound and X3man like this.
  16. X3man

X3man Well known member

Following a respray of bonnet due to roofer dropping Dewalt battery of roof onto bonnet, I clayed, did a single stage correction (4 passes), and finished with finishing pad and Gyeon Prime (SIO2 prep) and coated with Gyeon Q2 Pure. Did the sides and onto doors as paint was blended. Very pleased with results.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Jimbob76

Mate, had to take a 24 hour ‘breather’ before replying to this. Your roofer dropped a Dewalt battery? Off the ******’ roof? On to the NEW Mini Coop S’s bonnet? What the actual F?!!

I would have been absolutely incandescent. Said roofer would have shortly followed his battery off the roof if this was my car (obviously with a carefully calculated trajectory, to miss the Mini, and the X3 and avoid any blood splatter on either car, lol).

But you are a proper gent, so I’m sure you were as cool as a cucumber (whilst raging inside). How did that conversation go pal?!!! Yowzer.

That said - perfick finish - loving the sublime reflections (and the coral polo shirt) mate :thumbs up:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    X3man likes this.
  18. leedodds1

leedodds1 Registered User

Tried out my new Autogylm snow foam today. Very impressed, smells fantastic too.

IMG_1687.jpg

IMG_1688.jpg

S32B, jassyo06, Bristle Hound and 3 others like this.
  19. X3man

X3man Well known member

Mate, you do crack me up, the roofer following the battery did cross my mind!!
    We had popped out IN THE X3!! If we had gone in the Mini, all would have been fine. I was raging as you say, but was done, so then focussed on getting sorted, like driving the Mini straight-away to my chosen repairer, and booked in for the following week!

Thanks, pleased with result, that Flex DA I bought from @jassyo06 is quite the machine. Please the Coral colour comes through ;-)

jassyo06 and Jimbob76 like this.
  20. X3man

X3man Well known member

good stuff that, but just never disappears from driveway as I am sure you have found out. Worth using with Polar wash and Seal over winter

21. Rossco13

Rossco13 Registered User

I second the driveway issue foam for the whole day and blowing about the grass lol, I have changed and stuck with Bilt hamber auto foam not as nice smelling but a very good product to add to the full compliment of Bilt hamber products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X3man and Bishop187 like this.
  22. Rich76

Rich76 Registered User

Quick Sunday morning spruce up

chemical guys shampoo
    Chemical guys butter wax ( really easy to apply and remove)
    Dodo juice future armour sealant

Attached Files:

Bristle Hound likes this.
  23. tcardio

tcardio Registered User

with ash all over my car and more coming, I appreciate looking at all your cars!

24. Kayobong

Kayobong Registered User

Corrected the paint on the driver’s side the other day, took quite a few hours and still have the skirts to correct. They're an awkward angle so I may have to do it by hand.
    I used some Scholl S17+ with a hex green pad for the first stage following up with some Menzerna 3500 with a white hex pad and finally used some auto finesse tripple for some protection and gloss for the last layer. I'm thinking of going back over it all again with some Scholl S3 Gold as there are a few deeper scratches which don't appear to have gone through the clear coat. There are also a couple of stone chips which need touching up.

I am thinking of getting my front bumper resprayed as it has clearly been smart repaired at some point and the lacquer looks like it may start to peel soon and there's a fair amount of stone chips.

correction os 1.jpg correction os 2.jpg correction os 3.jpg

25. X3man

X3man Well known member

Looking good mate

Kayobong likes this.
  26. Kayobong

Kayobong Registered User

Thanks pal

X3man likes this.
  27. jassyo06

jassyo06 T-Cut King !

Dont use the Green Hex Logic pad for older paint use the Yellow one....Green is normally used on newish paint that has'nt accumulated a lot of wear and tear....remember the Sprint Blue will pretty resiiliant to paint correction.....

X3man likes this.
  28. Kayobong

Kayobong Registered User

It's not been too resilient thus far; I'd rather start with less and work my way up to harsher combinations. I will give the yellow pad a go, any compound you recommend?

29. jassyo06

jassyo06 T-Cut King !

To be honest there aint much of a difference between the Green,Orange,yellow hex quantum pads mate...but l tend to find the orange and yellow pads correct paint faster.....Menzerna 2200.....medium or Menzerna 1000 heavy cut.....

Kayobong likes this.
  30. jassyo06

jassyo06 T-Cut King !

Interior glass cleaned after l washed and dried the car **** me gently....interior glass cleaning is my least fave chore on a car....especially cleaning the inside of the rear window of an A3 Saloon....done now....thank ****

Scotty75 likes this.
  31. Scotty75

Scotty75 Well-Known Member Silver Supporter

Hello James hope ya well mate
    Feel ya pain there. 7 hour stint for me today. A3 done inside and out , nothing left out. Single stage polish with S20, wax done with AG UHD. A ton of other products used . Too many to list lol ! A3 is looking suitably impressive if I do say so myself

...... and before you say it ........ no I ain't done the Gyeon yet . Saving that fir the S3 were buying next year

Off out for some dinner and a couple of sherberts in a bit cos I've blooming earned it

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

jassyo06 likes this.
  32. jassyo06

jassyo06 T-Cut King !

Stranger....Stranger.....lol great te hear fe mate sherbets...just cracked open a few....that glass cleaning stint pushed over the edge....lol Enjoy

Scotty75 likes this.
  33. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

34. Scotty75

Thought I'd add to my recent post regarding Sundays 7 hour detail of the A3

Autoglym UHD Wax is the dogs ********. Did a single stage polish using CG Quantum Yellow pads with Scholl S20. Went in hard being honest but after a lot of practice felt confident with the Das6 Pro Plus . It paid off ! Used BH Cleanse after that , also the dogs ******** !

Made applying AG UHD Wax a piece of cake. Really good product to use and the puck they supply is great. Well worth the money.

Paint is left silky and is absolutely popping, black isn't easy to get right but the UHD wax makes it reflect every little bit of light . Will post a photo tomorrow. So far can't praise this wax enough, just hoping it passes the durability test

jassyo06, Bristle Hound and Kayobong like this.
  35. Scotty75

Ended up too knackered for dinner out must be the age !! Ended up indoors , having a Chinese and a few of these on the rocks ........ no complaints I tell ya ........[​IMG]

jassyo06, Bristle Hound and Kayobong like this.
  36. Kayobong

Kayobong Registered User

How do you clean your interior glass? I can’t seem to find a method which doesn’t leave tiny bits of fluff. Even using a new glass cloth will result in the same thing

37. Kayobong

Kayobong Registered User

Need some pics!

38. Scotty75

I use AG Fast Glass with cheap MF cloths, not plush MF's. Streak free and no fluff.

jassyo06 and Kayobong like this.
  39. Scotty75

Will get some photos up tonight

Kayobong and Sandra like this.
  40. Scotty75

@Kayobong

Some photos of the Sportback as promised. Products used :
    AG Polar Blast
    Angelwax Shampoo
    Scholl S20
    CG Quantum Yellow pads
    BH Cleanse
    AG UHD Wax
    Perl
    Swiss Swisswax Seal feed
    WD40
    Autosol
    Megs Plast RX
    Angelwax AnGEL
    Angelwax Heaven for leather
    Angelwax Absolution
    Megs APC
    AG Fast Glass

I'm no David Bailey so hopefully the photos do it justice. Rained this morning and the beading was first class.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    S32B, X3man, jassyo06 and 6 others like this.
  41. Bristle Hound

Bristle Hound Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Great work @Scotty75 - A3 looks fab buddy :thumbs up:

Just outta interest what are you guys paying for the Autoglym UHD Wax kit?
    TIA

Scotty75 likes this.
  42. Kayobong

Kayobong Registered User

Looking mint mate. Lovely looking 8V you have there. I really do rate Scholl products. My S3 is filthy, hasn't been cleaned since my last post on here! All I've done is give it a hoover.

Scotty75 likes this.
  43. Scotty75

I got mine at Halford, used my trade card and paid £39. Was quite happy to be honest