what can you use to clean a maf sensor?

4rings

Reaction score
hi would brake cleaner be ok to clean a maf sensor??

Not sure on the brake cleaner, think IPA (isopropyl alcohol) is recommended.

ok well i have brake cleaner surely its all near enuff the same stuff.

brake cleaner evapourated e.t.c??

I'd use intake cleaner just in case. I did mine with intake cleaner and no issues to report.

I used instake cleaner on the small sensor attached to the inlet manifold next to the throttle body, no problems so far and its nice and clean!

Contact Cleaner from Maplins. I done mine 2 months ago. Jumped from 199 g/s to 208 g/s.

Last edited:
Just brought some of that Isopropyl from Maplins to clean my MAF, is there a how to anywhere? Thanks.

just done mine with contact cleaner from maplins. Didnt have the correct torx security tool so used some grips on the raised screw head took forever but saved me buying more tool bits ill use only once. Cleaned up the MAF housing as well as inside of that was pretty dirty, car seems to run smoother and the 'missfire' i thought i had has gone.

Nice! I attempted to do mine but had the same problem with the security torx, went to buy one from Euro car parts and they don't sell them :(

Oh well will have to wait till the weekend now to do it and while I'm at it I shall clean my trottle body too.

get yourself to wilkos or any other place that does cheap diy tools. buy a multi toolkit for about a fiver...they nearly always include torx bits and a screwdriver these days....

get yourself to wilkos or any other place that does cheap diy tools. buy a multi toolkit for about a fiver...they nearly always include torx bits and a screwdriver these days....

I brought a security torx set today froma cheapo diy shop... It's meant to be a t25 torx to undo the maf sensor screws but the damn holes on the torx I brought are not round (too small to go over the round bit in the torx screw) enough so still can't get mine off, im thinking it must be a proper Audi torx I need?

Or i have a crap security torx set.

Gutted :(

Brought another security torx set today and that dont fit either!!!

Is it it a special Audi anti tamper or what cause the t25's i'm buying just don't fit...