What can this be

Stu A4

Reaction score
Hi Guys, been on this website for a while now and have always had great help, i now seem to have another issue. I have a 130 tdi A3 which when cold only shakes at idle untill the clutch pedal is pressed, once up to about 70oc i can release the pedal and no shaking, does this sound like dual mass flywheel might need replaced? Also sounds like a slight thrust bearing noise, but not so sure, thanks in advance. Stuart

hi mate,
maybe people are reluctant to give input on a non 1.8t/s3... pretty much same set-up anyways so no idea whats the issue

i'd try bleeding the clutch first, i sounds like a clutch problem to me

does it make a strange running pattern on over run? Like a chugging sound. I had a Tdi golf that used to do it and it turned out to be an inherant fault with the ecu

Does it only do it at idle, or does it do it under driving conditions?

I'd say it sounds like the flywheel myself, almost like the flywheel isn't balanced when there is clamping force applied. When the clutch is pressed, the friction plate moves away from the flywheel meaning there is no clamping force on it.

I'd work around everything else first personally as clutches aren't exactly cheap, as mentioned, bleed the clutch first and see what the outcome is.

Yeah il get the clutch bleeded first and see what happens there, doesnt do it whilst driving, only at idle