What Can I Do With This Chipping?

thomaslewis

Reaction score
As I was washing my car this morning I noticed that a lot of the side skirt was bubbling and had a wax like substance all over it near the driver side wheel.

But when I proceeded to clean it off, part of the side skirt disintegrated with it leaving this horrible white chip that can be seen very clearly. The other side is absolutely fine but not I don’t know what to do with it because it’s not metal underneath it’s quite spongy. I have a Mythos Black corrective pen set (primer, colour, gloss) but if it’s not metal is that still applicable?

I know it’s a very long shot as I’ve had the car a few months but is it a manufacturing defect? I don’t know what I would have done to make this come off?

Attachments

• 9F0401C4-F5F2-4E1B-A738-43C6FDDA8AEB.jpeg
    9F0401C4-F5F2-4E1B-A738-43C6FDDA8AEB.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 308
  • 41734102-3E86-4DC4-91E6-430D630DB87F.jpeg
    41734102-3E86-4DC4-91E6-430D630DB87F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 244
  • 400ADD62-1706-4FBA-89AD-C4FC44621F83.jpeg
    400ADD62-1706-4FBA-89AD-C4FC44621F83.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 242
  • E0FF8B83-ACFF-4A4D-BC1C-DC9496188D86.jpeg
    E0FF8B83-ACFF-4A4D-BC1C-DC9496188D86.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 253
Here’s a few more images after I’d cleaned it which shows this waxy substance on both sides.

Attachments

• 2FF29C7A-96D3-49BF-ADA0-05BEEAA2B7C5.jpeg
    2FF29C7A-96D3-49BF-ADA0-05BEEAA2B7C5.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 223
  • C4DF173E-1D2A-4DCA-8B5D-EB54F70CBBD1.jpeg
    C4DF173E-1D2A-4DCA-8B5D-EB54F70CBBD1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 216
  • 9F1584DD-DB12-47BC-B17A-BEFC9F12D040.jpeg
    9F1584DD-DB12-47BC-B17A-BEFC9F12D040.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 205
  • 550F7359-CC81-4B15-9A82-8557E41C6B84.jpeg
    550F7359-CC81-4B15-9A82-8557E41C6B84.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 204
  • DE24FAB0-AE4A-46D6-9959-599D39597C01.jpeg
    DE24FAB0-AE4A-46D6-9959-599D39597C01.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 216
I would consider taking that back to Audi for paint defect warranty.

Reactions: Pinky1959, Moots and thomaslewis
I would consider taking that back to Audi for paint defect warranty.
I’ve contacted my sales advisor and it’s booked in on Monday for an inspection. I’ve been looking for the source all day and if you look in the images it’s above the side skirt in the door, from there its coming from within the engine compartment so I’m curious to see where all this wax is coming from.

I’ll be fighting to have all this rectified under warranty, don’t see how any of this is down to just normal wear and tear, like where does that wax even come from!

This is a warranty job. No 8Y should be suffering from painting chipping away yet. As for the wax substance, it’s all over my new RS3 in places as well so must be something they’re using in the factory.

Reactions: Mastachaz and thomaslewis
Looking close.to.photo looks like.someone smash there and.not like.factory defect

Could be wrong that looks like the waxy stuff the OP mentioned that in also on the door and trim at the bottom

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
yes you wrong how on damaged plastic bit you can say looks like wax... that plastic should be straight and its damaged

do you have 8y a3 or s3? because i do and that looks like damage also non of cars i got from dealer even new are perfect including 70+k rs3 :)
Not until delivery no but that's besides the point I just said it looks similar to the opaque-ish waxy stuff on the plastic can look like that

Not until delivery no but that's besides the point I just said it looks similar to the opaque-ish waxy stuff on the plastic can look like that

Like i said you dont see damage and i do , damage on plastic means someone hit car somwhere and that could cause that paint missing

Like i said you dont see damage and i do , damage on plastic means someone hit car somwhere and that could cause that paint missing
I'm aware of what damage is but unless you physically see it you don't know 100% . Maybe it's a dink maybe it's wax maybe it's how it arrived

Could a stone chip flicked up by front tyres did the intial thing, as when you wiped it, and it peeled off, etc? It's quite low down, if it's near ish just behind the front wheel, then yea perhaps, however if it's nearer to the rear wheel, then ok my theory is out...

I can’t believe I’m having to say this again lol, the paint came off while I cleaned it!

it didn’t happen while driving or being hit by another car, it literally happened in front of me stationary on my drive

that plastic I’m not sure about but it’s unrelated…

Reactions: Brian Leslie
I can’t believe I’m having to say this again lol, the paint came off while I cleaned it!

it didn’t happen while driving or being hit by another car, it literally happened in front of me stationary on my drive

that plastic I’m not sure about but it’s unrelated…

I don’t think folk on here are having a go at you but a small stone chip can lead to paint peeling especially if it gets blasted by pressure washer or powerful hose.
i had that on an a6 with less than 1k on the clock before and pressure washer blasted paint off a section of the back bumper. Luckily dealer was on my side and said paint was too thin on the bumper and warranted the paint defect. They did mention on some colours/finishes that the paint is softer/thinner. Non metallic/pearl finishes are meant to be more susceptible to this as there’s was less layers of paint or something like that.

I don’t think folk on here are having a go at you but a small stone chip can lead to paint peeling especially if it gets blasted by pressure washer or powerful hose.
i had that on an a6 with less than 1k on the clock before and pressure washer blasted paint off a section of the back bumper. Luckily dealer was on my side and said paint was too thin on the bumper and warranted the paint defect. They did mention on some colours/finishes that the paint is softer/thinner. Non metallic/pearl finishes are meant to be more susceptible to this as there’s was less layers of paint or something like that.
Yes indeed that’s exactly what my dealer said today. They’re going to sort it out for me on warranty as they said my cleaning shouldn’t have led to that kind of damage unless there was an existing issue.

Reactions: abmat, Maddave, AlS3BE and 3 others
Yes indeed that’s exactly what my dealer said today. They’re going to sort it out for me on warranty as they said my cleaning shouldn’t have led to that kind of damage unless there was an existing issue.
Good result:icon thumright:

Did you ever get to the bottom of this issue? First time I washed my S3 I noticed a waxy substance in exactly the same location. I was able to wash it off quite easily after using some tar and glue remover. No defects to the paint though. Most of it was found on the very underside of the car in this location.

Did you ever get to the bottom of this issue? First time I washed my S3 I noticed a waxy substance in exactly the same location. I was able to wash it off quite easily after using some tar and glue remover. No defects to the paint though. Most of it was found on the very underside of the car in this location.
It’s being repaired next week, but my dealer did not exactly say what the wax was used for but he did tell me that it is normal for these easy substances to come about and should normally be washed with a little warm water.

So I’m still dubious as to where it came from

Reactions: RichK