What Brake Horse Power?

Ronniebiggs

Reaction score
Please could someone tell me how I know for sure what BHP my Audi is.

I bought it from Evans Halshaw where it was advertised as a 1.8T Sport 163 (02 Reg). But when I have been looking into it the engine apparently was 150bhp until June 2002. My car was registered 13 June 2002. I assume it was made before this date and so would assume it was a 150 even though it was advetised as 163.

The sales man said that they know its a 163 from the numbers? on the car. Can anyone clarify any of this?

Or could you tell me an easy way to work out what BHP it is. Except the most obvious way of rolling road I cant think of any.

Also what tweaks are worth doing? Induction filter etc.

Many Thanks Andy

saying that the build sticker also seems to include the engines power output (110kw in that example which is 150hp)

It says AVJ. When I put it into that web site link you put on. It says 150BHP?

If thats right I was sold the car under false pretenses!!

Oh no,AVJ horror attack....Watch out for oil sludge, its everywhere....:undwech:..............:ninja:

What do you mean J7USS? Is oil sludge a problem? Or are you joking?

Im so mad its unbelievable. I was honestly sold it from Evans Halshaw on Monday as a 163. They said they had checked the code on the car and it was a 163. I brought it up with them as I new on that reg the power changed. They stuck by there advert which stated 163. However when I got the paperwork from them it never mentioned the 163. I asked does the log book have it on and they said no.

All my invoices etc have 1.8T sport and no mention of 163. Where do I stand?

What should I do?

If I have to keep it what difference is there to the engine from the 150 to the 163? If its just something minor I suppose I could do some slight mods myself.

HELP :bye:

I have my sales receipt saying 1.8T Sport 163 on it!!

Are you sure the AVJ means 150 bhp? Am I in my rights to GO MENTAL with them?

Again what would you do in my case? I paid £5800 for the car 64K on clock.

the BFB engine is the 163, but anyway as others have said the manufacturing plate on the car will say in kw what the engine output is, 110kw is 150bhp and 120kw is the 163bhp version. The service book should also have this info in the options sticker from when it was delivered. If yours says 110kw its the 150 version.

Dont worry about it mate, 163 to 150 is hardly noticable.
If you want to push for something then go for Discount on your next service...
The oil sludge is a major issue with the 1.8ts these days, do a search on the forum, there are folks who are going through it now!!!

Ive just checked mine and its a 110kw so looks like mine was a 150bhp before I got it remap'd. On the dvla check and insurance it states 1.8T quattro sport 163 but Im not to fussed to be honest.
Stick a map on it Ronnie, You be well chuffed!!