What are these?

Spiedhermonkey

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Anybody know what the thing is in front of the rear roof handle? Sitting in the back for once today, so this is the first time I’ve noticed them.

Avant or saloon? Also without a photo hard to tell what you are talking about. If Avant then it is probably the slot for the pull up luggage screen to lock into who then seats are folded.

Yeah, I tried to upload a photo while I was in the car, but it wouldn’t do it. It’s an Avant. Will try again, but that sounds feasible.

Upload 2019 4 13 21 59 34

Had to crop the image, so it’s difficult to get perspective on it, but it’s just in front of the overhead handle in the back and the inner part of it can be pushed in.

I now need to find out what this pull up luggage screen is, I’m intrigued.

Designed for coat hangers to hang off it

Designed for coat hangers to hang off it

That was my first thought, but there’s a hook on the B-pillar and another on the overhead handle, so I thought this must be something else. I mean how many hangers do Audi think we’ll be hanging up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There should be a load divider mesh roller blind if you remove the rear cargo cover. It pulls up and attaches into those holes you ask about. Think of it being a bit like a dog guard.

Reactions: Spiedhermonkey
There are similar set of cut outs in the roof roughly level with rear seat back rests for when the seats are in use. When the seats are folded the cassette holding the net can be attached to locating plates on the folded back rests and the you use the cut outs in front of the handles. It is all in the handbook!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IMG 1894
IMG 1892

As above it is for the cargo net behind the rear seats - even with parcel shelf in open position - just pull up screen and the round end sections fit into the roof sockets you detailed.

I see exactly what you mean now, cheers Neil. I don’t have the net, just the place where it would fix onto if I bought one.

Mystery solved - cheers all.

It was standard in all UK cars so if your car was new to you then it should be there and if used then the PO must have it and I would have expected an Audi dealer (if that is who you bought it from) to have replaced it if it were missing as part of their Approved Used check

I can see the lip sticking up from the centre of the back of Neil’s back seat & mine definitely doesn’t have that. Mine is a 16 plate, so sounds like it should be there in that case. I may have to look into this. Cheers.

Upload 2019 4 14 18 7 27

Nothing like that on mine, or on the parcel shelf casing. Think I’ve been done. A couple of the ISOFIX covers from the rear seats were missing too, along with the MyAudi app saying that wireless charging was one of the options on my car, but the matt in my armrest isn’t a wireless charging one.

This is the boot area with the rear seats down to give a picture of what should be there - mine is a 2017 reg Avant S-Line and has the same locking devices on the rear double seat back. The Screen is fitted to the front of the load area cover - but as you said could have gone AWOL if broken by previous owner.

IMG 1895
IMG 1896
IMG 1897

Last edited:
Thanks for that, Neil. Yeah I had a good look around the load cover unit & there wasn’t anything like that, so they must have swapped it for one without, I guess.

Thanks again, the pics made it much easier to grasp, as it’s a difficult one to describe.

Reactions: Neil Woodburn
From what you are saying there would be a gap of about 5cm between the seat backs of the rear seat when in the upright position and the luggage cover roller cassette if you do not have the luggage guard

From what you are saying there would be a gap of about 5cm between the seat backs of the rear seat when in the upright position and the luggage cover roller cassette if you do not have the luggage guard
I’ve not checked, but I guess there must be. I’ll take a look in the daylight tomorrow.

It would have bugged me, not knowing. So I just went out & yes, there is a gap there that I never noticed before.

Upload 2019 4 15 22 34 55

Neil has very kindly sent me some links to second hand ones, so I’ll be ordering one now - thanks Neil!

Reactions: DaveW
If, as ypou previously indicated you do not have the mounts on the seat backs to fix the luggage net in place when the seats are folded, yoiu maty want to check that you do have the fixings for luggage net cassette for when the seats are in the upright piosition before you go and buy the secondhand net

I’ve messaged the seller to ask if it comes with the parts I need to attach it. Hopefully it will do.

Houston, we have a problem. The guard slides onto the catches on the back of the double seat, but as you can see, it hits on the moulding in the boot, meaning the back seat can’t be locked into upright position.

Any ideas?

When the seats are in use the roller cassette fits onto locating points below where the luggage cove fits. You only use the sliders on the seat backs when the seats are folded

1ea6db5db60bd399b2dc9af0d68baf01.jpg
b6ddf1476e04c2cac416d8069ae99df0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aah, so simple when you know how! Managed to fit it now, so thanks for all your help, guys. If I could buy you a beer to say thanks, I would :beercheers:

Seeing the word "cassette" brings back happy memories, taping Top Of The Pops... :flushed:

Reactions: Rhyso
My company does educational software with clip art style images in it. Cassettes are under the History subject, much to my annoyance.

My s3 had a cassette player but never used it lol tape to tape and recording the charts oh how times have changed

I have taken my net guard thing and load cover out to make extra room for doggies :)