1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are these?

Spiedhermonkey Apr 13, 2019

1. Spiedhermonkey

Spiedhermonkey Active Member VCDS Map User

Anybody know what the thing is in front of the rear roof handle? Sitting in the back for once today, so this is the first time I’ve noticed them.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. elan2s

elan2s Active Member

Avant or saloon? Also without a photo hard to tell what you are talking about. If Avant then it is probably the slot for the pull up luggage screen to lock into who then seats are folded.

4. Spiedhermonkey

Yeah, I tried to upload a photo while I was in the car, but it wouldn’t do it. It’s an Avant. Will try again, but that sounds feasible.

5. Spiedhermonkey

upload_2019-4-13_21-59-34.jpeg

Had to crop the image, so it’s difficult to get perspective on it, but it’s just in front of the overhead handle in the back and the inner part of it can be pushed in.

I now need to find out what this pull up luggage screen is, I’m intrigued.

6. Darren92

Darren92 Well-Known Member

Designed for coat hangers to hang off it

7. Spiedhermonkey

That was my first thought, but there’s a hook on the B-pillar and another on the overhead handle, so I thought this must be something else. I mean how many hangers do Audi think we’ll be hanging up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. DaveW

DaveW Well-Known Member Team Floret Silver Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group

There should be a load divider mesh roller blind if you remove the rear cargo cover. It pulls up and attaches into those holes you ask about. Think of it being a bit like a dog guard.

Spiedhermonkey likes this.
  9. elan2s

elan2s Active Member

There are similar set of cut outs in the roof roughly level with rear seat back rests for when the seats are in use. When the seats are folded the cassette holding the net can be attached to locating plates on the folded back rests and the you use the cut outs in front of the handles. It is all in the handbook!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Neil Woodburn

Neil Woodburn Active Member

IMG_1894.jpg IMG_1892.jpg

As above it is for the cargo net behind the rear seats - even with parcel shelf in open position - just pull up screen and the round end sections fit into the roof sockets you detailed.

11. Spiedhermonkey

I see exactly what you mean now, cheers Neil. I don’t have the net, just the place where it would fix onto if I bought one.

Mystery solved - cheers all.

12. Avatar

13. elan2s

elan2s Active Member

It was standard in all UK cars so if your car was new to you then it should be there and if used then the PO must have it and I would have expected an Audi dealer (if that is who you bought it from) to have replaced it if it were missing as part of their Approved Used check

14. Spiedhermonkey

I can see the lip sticking up from the centre of the back of Neil’s back seat & mine definitely doesn’t have that. Mine is a 16 plate, so sounds like it should be there in that case. I may have to look into this. Cheers.

15. Spiedhermonkey

upload_2019-4-14_18-7-27.jpeg

Nothing like that on mine, or on the parcel shelf casing. Think I’ve been done. A couple of the ISOFIX covers from the rear seats were missing too, along with the MyAudi app saying that wireless charging was one of the options on my car, but the matt in my armrest isn’t a wireless charging one.

16. Neil Woodburn

Neil Woodburn Active Member

This is the boot area with the rear seats down to give a picture of what should be there - mine is a 2017 reg Avant S-Line and has the same locking devices on the rear double seat back. The Screen is fitted to the front of the load area cover - but as you said could have gone AWOL if broken by previous owner.

IMG_1895.jpg IMG_1896.jpg IMG_1897.jpg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  17. Spiedhermonkey

Thanks for that, Neil. Yeah I had a good look around the load cover unit & there wasn’t anything like that, so they must have swapped it for one without, I guess.

Thanks again, the pics made it much easier to grasp, as it’s a difficult one to describe.

Neil Woodburn likes this.
  18. Rhyso

Rhyso Well-Known Member

The cargo net is a separate item from the parcel shelf :)

19. elan2s

elan2s Active Member

From what you are saying there would be a gap of about 5cm between the seat backs of the rear seat when in the upright position and the luggage cover roller cassette if you do not have the luggage guard

20. Spiedhermonkey

I’ve not checked, but I guess there must be. I’ll take a look in the daylight tomorrow.

21. Spiedhermonkey

It would have bugged me, not knowing. So I just went out & yes, there is a gap there that I never noticed before.

upload_2019-4-15_22-34-55.jpeg

Neil has very kindly sent me some links to second hand ones, so I’ll be ordering one now - thanks Neil!

DaveW likes this.
  22. elan2s

elan2s Active Member

If, as ypou previously indicated you do not have the mounts on the seat backs to fix the luggage net in place when the seats are folded, yoiu maty want to check that you do have the fixings for luggage net cassette for when the seats are in the upright piosition before you go and buy the secondhand net

23. Spiedhermonkey

I’ve messaged the seller to ask if it comes with the parts I need to attach it. Hopefully it will do.

24. Spiedhermonkey

Houston, we have a problem. The guard slides onto the catches on the back of the double seat, but as you can see, it hits on the moulding in the boot, meaning the back seat can’t be locked into upright position.

Any ideas?

25. elan2s

elan2s Active Member

When the seats are in use the roller cassette fits onto locating points below where the luggage cove fits. You only use the sliders on the seat backs when the seats are folded

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

26. Spiedhermonkey

Got ya. Thanks for clearing that up. Will go and try again.

27. Spiedhermonkey

Aah, so simple when you know how! Managed to fit it now, so thanks for all your help, guys. If I could buy you a beer to say thanks, I would :beercheers:

28. fingermouse

fingermouse thats me

never knew I had this missing, never missed it but now part of me wants it back lol

DaveW likes this.
  29. DaveW

DaveW Well-Known Member Team Floret Silver Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group

Seeing the word "cassette" brings back happy memories, taping Top Of The Pops... :flushed:

Rhyso likes this.
  30. Spiedhermonkey

My company does educational software with clip art style images in it. Cassettes are under the History subject, much to my annoyance.

DaveW likes this.
  31. fingermouse

fingermouse thats me

My s3 had a cassette player but never used it lol tape to tape and recording the charts oh how times have changed

DaveW likes this.
  32. Buxton2901

Buxton2901 Well-Known Member

I have taken my net guard thing and load cover out to make extra room for doggies :)

DaveW likes this.
  33. Avatar

34. Spiedhermonkey

Nothing to do with hearing the exhaust note better, of course :whistle2: