What are the symptoms of a failing fuel pump?

Mrmok

Reaction score
My car sounds a bit odd at start up from cold and my gut feeling is telling me the fuel pump may be struggling! Runs 100% perfect once started but every morning it just sounds a little laboured to get her going, still starts with no hesitation but sounds 'offish' can't really be much more specific than that but what are the usual symptoms of an aged and slowly failing fuel pump?

Mine just went a few weeks, the fuel pump is approx £170 and it's only supplied by Audi, when it goes the car will just stop you won't be able to drive! and when you try to start it, it'll make a sneezeing noise. It was caused by the fuel filter being blocked! Check the fuel filter, i think you have get right under and get floor pan cover by the tank to access..... Fuel filter cost me about £60 as a part. Got a Garage to do the work for me...
hope this helps.
M

Sorry went on one, the symptons loss of power and get some surges. Check the fuel filter if it's blocked...

There are two fuel pumps usually one in the tank which is a simple lift pump which supplies a high pressure pump in the engine bay, the high pressure one is expensive presuming it is a diesel of course. as above for petrol i think

Thanks, sounds like it's not the fuel pump straining then!!

May be the secondary air pump. Sounds odd for a few seconds when you start it then goes away! Mine does it in the mornings usually. Its ment to pre heat the cat. Sounds like somethings clogged.