What Are a FMIC Power Benifits?

lanky

Reaction score
Ive seen a thread in the diesel tuning section where somebody has fitted a Ebay FMIC to his 2.0 TDi A3. Considering there would be a saving of around £300 over the ebay one to the Forge one I am considering doing the same.

What I want to know is would there be any benifits of adding a FMIC to a A3 2.0TDi with only a KnN panel filter and Remap?

My car has currently been remapped so im guessing that if I was to fit a FMIC then the car would need remapping. Would the car make any more power with the FMIC compared to when it just had the standard intercooler.

Last edited:
unless your looking to run 300 bhp plus then i wouldnt bother tbh.

I fitted one to my Mondeo STTDCI and the only gain was it held boost a bit longer and didn't go sluggish in hot weather

Wouldn't bother again

unless your looking to run 300 bhp plus then i wouldnt bother tbh.

Im looking into a full exhaust and hybrid turbo so surely i would need a FMIC for that to produce good power?

I fitted one to my Mondeo STTDCI and the only gain was it held boost a bit longer and didn't go sluggish in hot weather

Wouldn't bother again

Surely with a bigger intercooler and remap the car would produce more power wouldnt it?

so what power you planning?

If its 2wd id say your wasting your time and money cause you wont be able to put the power down tbh

If your going hybrid then yes it may be worth a look but otherwise pointless really. Also as above if your FWD and trying to put that much power and torque through the front wheels you'll still be spinning in third so kind of pointless

so what power you planning?

If its 2wd id say your wasting your time and money cause you wont be able to put the power down tbh

If your going hybrid then yes it may be worth a look but otherwise pointless really. Also as above if your FWD and trying to put that much power and torque through the front wheels you'll still be spinning in third so kind of pointless

Would be looking at around 230bhp. To be honest there is a Fabia VRS near me that has 320bhp and around 420lb-ft which does spin quite abit but certainly shifts very quick and thats only FWD.

if your only looking at 230 then dont waste your money.id spend the money on a decent suspension setup

what model a3 do you have?

Last edited:
I was planning on going down the hybrid route but sold the car before I did so missed out on any potential gains

I certainly notice a difference.

When i first fit it it felt different but wasn't sure if it was just a case of me thinking it felt different because I had fitted the FMIC. But a couple of weeks down the line it definitley feels more responsive, spools up more freely and get more kick.

IMO I don't see £150 being a massive dent to buy it. It prolongs the turbo's life and colder air getting to the turbo is never going to be a bad thing for performance considering the original IC is sitting behind the radiator.

Hybrid turbo is getting done as we speak and a remap is on the cards. Then i will let you know how I get on.

Plus it looks mean.

As for the FWD and no traction. I agree, but when rolling, it's not going to be an issue unless it's wet or you are running on wheels that are as thin as a 10p coin. Move off normally like most people do since you're not racing everywhere and you'll have no problems.

Pointless on a TDI tbh

Any particular reason why its pointless?

I certainly notice a difference.

When i first fit it it felt different but wasn't sure if it was just a case of me thinking it felt different because I had fitted the FMIC. But a couple of weeks down the line it definitley feels more responsive, spools up more freely and get more kick.

IMO I don't see £150 being a massive dent to buy it
. It prolongs the turbo's life and colder air getting to the turbo is never going to be a bad thing for performance considering the original IC is sitting behind the radiator.

Hybrid turbo is getting done as we speak and a remap is on the cards. Then i will let you know how I get on.

Plus it looks mean.

As for the FWD and no traction. I agree, but when rolling, it's not going to be an issue unless it's wet or you are running on wheels that are as thin as a 10p coin. Move off normally like most people do since you're not racing everywhere and you'll have no problems.

Thats what I thought. £150 isnt gonna get me a good suspension set up and like ya said its only gonna be good for the turbo and be better for the car when I get the Hybrid Turbo. I think im just gonna go for it. lol.

Again, the stock IC is fine but isn't the best. Good enough is exactly that. Just good enough. If you want the most from your engine you want best.

If you have the money, then why not? Looks good, is practical and if you are getting a bigger turbo or a remap then the better cooling will never ever go a miss.

Colder air/better airflow = Always good.

I hear what you saying. My A3 is a 140 with a map and exhaust, for me its more than enough. I wanted the most out of an engine, then I'd go all out on a petrol personally.

You'd never see such gains from a derv as you would from a petrol but as you said it's all down to what you want :)

tbh i think they look ugly and and as said before you are never going to be running enough power to need a fmic on a 2wd a3 over a standard intercooler and the same can be said for air filters as your just wasting your money.

If your going to be running massive hp id also look into a water injection but again dont feel this is needed on a 2wd tdi

If you were talking petrol/4wd where you could run 500 bhp plus then yes both would be worth it and you would see gains

Id be looking into ways of getting the power down before i was thinking about cooling a car running just over 200bhp