What’s wrong with my heater matrix?..

Benjobob

Reaction score
Hi all

I’ve been having heat (hot blowing air) escape under the drivers side dashboard (even when air con on) since having the heater matrix replaced by a mechanic.

Decided to check it out myself and the large gap to the side of the matrix has me concerned. Can anyone tell me if I’ve got a part missing here or something? To me it seems there shouldn’t be a gap there, as that’s exactly where the air is coming from.

Btw I am not a mechanic by any means so will need simple explanations please :)

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 8608581A-C2D4-4C5C-9D1C-0C74BA5E8D55.jpeg
    8608581A-C2D4-4C5C-9D1C-0C74BA5E8D55.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 199
Which gap do you mean? Are you sure your heating motors are working correctly?

Do they work in all positions, and do they go from hot to cold properly?

Thanks Steve.

The gap is showing where you can see through to the heater matrix grill. I assume I shouldn’t be able to see that and that it would be sealed off there to trap the air in against the heater matrix.

I have tried all combination of hot/cold and also different flaps etc, but all of them have the air leaking provided the fans are on. The amount of air blowing is exactly proportional to the amount I turn up the fan intensity.

Does that help? Thanks.

Oh just to add to that - I can see, looking side on, that the heater matrix does not ‘fill’ the black surround which it sits in. This also makes me think it’s too small (wrong part) or missing some kind of gap fill.

All going well I should be changing mine tomorrow afternoon, will try and get a pic to give you some reference :icon thumright:

Oh just to add to that - I can see, looking side on, that the heater matrix does not ‘fill’ the black surround which it sits in. This also makes me think it’s too small (wrong part) or missing some kind of gap fill.

I would agree with you. Looking at the pipes coming off that back, looks like clips that dont line up with anything.