What’s the scam

Jamsmoo

Reaction score
Not sure exactly what’s happening but last week I received a dvla letter addressed correctly but with a name I don’t recognise,I mistakenly opened the letter and it was a v5 document,I resealed it ,wrote on it opened by mistake and not known at this address crossed out the name and address and posted back.Few days later I received a “tax it or lose it” letter from dvla ,with the same name on.Again I crossed out address window and wrote not known at this address and stuck it back in the post ,this time though I accompanied it with a letter to the dvla explaining what was happening.I have pics and a copy of the letter.Expecting parking fines ,speeding tickets and god knows what else to start turning up
Today another v5 has arrived this time a different name again ,expect the tax it or lose it letter soon
Going to keep pictures of everything and agin write to dvla .
Should I be ringing the police for advise
Someone’s obviously picked out my address to start registering cars at ,god knows what these cars are going to used for ,driven about with out tax ,getting snapped by anpr cameras ,hit and runs ,speeding tickets ..bank jobs !!! (May have gone a bit far )
But seriously I foresee my front door being knocked by the boys in blue and bailiffs any day now
Advise please
Thank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How would a v5 in your name lead to scams though? If you get any "trouble" just say mistake as you aren't registered keeper?

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

How would a v5 in your name lead to scams though? If you get any "trouble" just say mistake as you aren't registered keeper?

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

They aren’t in my name ,they’re being registered at my address though.Any offences will come my way and eventually bailiffs at the door

I had something similar last year. Got a v5 for an old Mazda with some random name. Did the same as you sent it back with a letter then got the tax it letter and sent that back and eventually got another letter. I called dvla and explained it to them and they removed my address as the registered keepers address. Didn’t receive anything again. I’ve own my house since it was built so wasn’t a previous owner or tenants.
best bet is call dvla and explain it. They told me it was just fraud and they will deal with.

Reactions: Charlie Farley and Jamsmoo
Could he be a previous owner of your house James, "forgotten" to inform the DVLA that he'd moved?

Not quite the same but when I sold my old SEAT Toledo as an MOT failure a few years back a guy from London came and collected it in a recovery truck. A couple of months later I received an impending fine letter for unpayment of the Dartford crossing toll.
He'd "forgotten" to change the V5 into his name. I had a real battle proving I'd sold the car months earlier.

Could he be a previous owner of your house James, "forgotten" to inform the DVLA that he'd moved?

Not quite the same but when I sold my old SEAT Toledo as an MOT failure a few years back a guy from London came and collected it in a recovery truck. A couple of months later I received an impending fine letter for unpayment of the Dartford crossing toll.
He'd "forgotten" to change the V5 into his name. I had a real battle proving I'd sold the car months earlier.

I wish it was that simple ,we’ve been here 10+ years ,never seen these names before
2 different names being sent v5 in 2 weeks ..smell a rat

Given how long it is taking to get a V5 or anything for that matter back from DVLA , if genuine applications they must have be done a while ago, more than 2 weeks for sure.

I had the same thing happen when selling our house a few years ago, V5 for a brand new transit in a random name I didn’t know. I put it down to some chancers seeing the for sale sign and trying to register a dodgy motor. Called the DVLA, they gave me an address to send the paperwork to, didn’t hear anything after that as we moved.

Boys in blue have been round twice now regarding a road traffic incident,I wasn’t in either time ,apparently whoever it was failed to stop after an accident.Getting letters now that don’t look like dvla but ..I’m guessing solicitors as they have stamps on

I think you need to get some decent legal advice James so you have can cover these things.
best of luck with it.

Reactions: Jamsmoo
The mrs has spoke to the police ,she explained what’s been happening,I’ve got a whole photo album of letters I’ve returned
The police seemed to be quite understanding apparently
I’m not overly worried yet
Only thing that does worry me at the moment is when it comes to insurance renewals

Reactions: Charlie Farley
I’ve got quite a substantial paper trail with dates ,hopefully it should see me out of the mire if and when the time comes

Reactions: Charlie Farley