What’s the best aftermarket sat nav head unit

audibhoy11

Reaction score
Preferably one that has steering wheel functionality , dash support etc etc , and possibly WiFi enabled

Define 'best'? It means different things to different people.

Most half-decent stereos today can integrate with the steering buttons via a correct wiring adaptor. What specifically do you need for WiFi?

XTrons units are ok, but sound quality is poor (I used one for a year). Plus stability and general quality is a little bit questionable. Saying that, they beat the RNSE units in every area.

I'm currently using a Kenwood DNX8170DABS unit, with Android Auto support and absolutely love it. Amazing sound quality and configuration options, with a very good DSP/EQ. It's quite expensive though.

I have a Dynavin HU. It's easy to fit and integrates well with the car, no extra looms to buy. It does have old windows OS which some people don't like but is simple to use.

I am looking into this currently also, I have the Bose sound system in my s3, is there any particular aftermarket unit needed to ensure the sound quality is retained?

lol Xtrons, useless peice of Chinese junk that sounds worse than a Bush stereo from the 80's.

Go for a Pioneer unit , although anything by the likes of Alpine, Kenwood would be good.

If Xtrons and the likes of Dynavin are the "best" then God help us all lol.

Reactions: Dubjam and leshkin
Think about not bothering with in car Sat nav and using Waze on your phone. Not only do you get faster updates, almost certainly better traffic info but also you can do things like pre program destinations before you get in the car.

Otherwise if sound quality is important stick with the major in car manufacturers, Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine.

Think about not bothering with in car Sat nav and using Waze on your phone. Not only do you get faster updates, almost certainly better traffic info but also you can do things like pre program destinations before you get in the car.

Otherwise if sound quality is important stick with the major in car manufacturers, Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine.
That's why a headunit with Android Auto or Apple Carplay support is nice. You can do all those things, but without the need for mounting your phone anywhere as it all works via your headunit screen. Android auto is especially nice, because you can use Waze with it as well as Google Maps.

Reactions: Sayam
That's why a headunit with Android Auto or Apple Carplay support is nice. You can do all those things, but without the need for mounting your phone anywhere as it all works via your headunit screen. Android auto is especially nice, because you can use Waze with it as well as Google Maps.
If you have an Android phone and are unlikely to move to iPhone any time soon then an Android Auto unit is a good idea, although I've no personal experience with them and no idea how well it works.

Sadly for this iPhone user Carplay support for Waze seems to be far off, Apple block other SatNavs apps from Carplay other than the woeful Apple maps.

If you have an Android phone and are unlikely to move to iPhone any time soon then an Android Auto unit is a good idea, although I've no personal experience with them and no idea how well it works.

Sadly for this iPhone user Carplay support for Waze seems to be far off, Apple block other SatNavs apps from Carplay other than the woeful Apple maps.

I've got pioneer units in my RS4 and my wife's Golf Gti. SPH-DA120 and AVH-X8700BT. Couple of thoughts..

Apple maps isn't as good as google, but has got significantly better - especially the traffic info (which I believe they now source from TomTom.

I initially tried android auto with a Samsung S5, and it was unusable. Laggy/unresponsive, really dim screen etc. Might've been the phone - hoping someone else on here can provide a positive experience as I'm thinking of ditching the iPhone.

I switched to iPhone, and in that Apple manner - it just works.

I believe there is now an alpine unit that supports wireless CarPlay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you rate the SPH-DA120? It's due for a replacement and you can pick it up cheaply especially second hand.

Alpine is the only game in town for wireless CarPlay but hopefully 2018 models will all come with it.

I've got pioneer units in my RS4 and my wife's Golf Gti. SPH-DA120 and AVH-X8700BT. Couple of thoughts..

Apple maps isn't as good as google, but has got significantly better - especially the traffic info (which I believe they now source from TomTom.

I initially tried android auto with a Samsung S5, and it was unusable. Laggy/unresponsive, really dim screen etc. Might've been the phone - hoping someone else on here can provide a positive experience as I'm thinking of ditching the iPhone.

I switched to iPhone, and in that Apple manner - it just works.

I believe there is now an alpine unit that supports wireless CarPlay.

@andykn

My Amazon review:

a4b41b848c57426d716ec4e1f70b22e8.jpg

c354f4d6b25431f0222739a751fe3d48.jpg

Perhaps I should try Apple Maps, it's reputation is so poor I've never really bothered and Waze is so good.

I think much depends on individual phone/head unit. I've been using Android Auto with my HU and a LG G4 - the phone is old and laggy, but it works fine. My work Samsung S6 flies with it, so recent hardware with latest version of Android is pretty sweet. Consider the added support for Waze and plenty of media player options, and it's a great competitor for CarPlay. I'm upgrading to LG V30 soon, so expect it be flawless.