Wet Weather Tyre Recommendations

A3-ALF

Reaction score
Going to need a couple of tyres soon on my 1.9tdi, I do a lot of motorway miles every year (20k) I'm looking for recommendations for a good wet weather tyre. Currently have Bridgestone Potenza RE040's fitted and they are ok but I do notice a fair bit of road noise off them, last car had Goodyear excellence fitted and again thought they were a bit noisy at times and totally useless in snow and ice.
Wheels/Tyres are 205/55/R16 Speedlines.

Thanks in advance

Alan

BF Goodrich - GForce Profiler 2's are good, as well as Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme and Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's
i will be going with one of these next. At the moment i have factory fitted potenza's and i think the road noise/hum is awful! cant wait to get rid of them.

Last edited:
Interesting comment will. I don't reckon Michelins are much cop in the wet. Goodyears F1 were great.

Interesting to see will's signature 'Model and Capacity Badge Removed' Does this improve performance? ;-)

Interesting comment will. I don't reckon Michelins are much cop in the wet. Goodyears F1 were great.

Interesting to see will's signature 'Model and Capacity Badge Removed' Does this improve performance? ;-)

Not seeing how that has any relevance but either way, i was just giving my opinion on tyre's i have used and tyres i have heard a lot about, if you think you goodyear F1's are good then thats your opinion. No need for the sarcy comment.

This tire for summer

I would recommend these tires that now have Hokian H
Very good on the water
Data according to the manufacturer of the tire pump 40 lits of water per second
Riding in a big rain and high speed is no problem a little rustle in the dry

imageloader

Nokian H <- :racer::thumbsup:

even the best in the summer tire in winter is good for nothing
If you want to winter tires set of search companies, Dunlop, Goodyear, Michelin, Nokian, Continental

mytyres.co.uk - Search Results: 205/55 R16 H Winter / cold weather tyres

Last edited:
I am a big fan of Continental Sport Contact 3 tyres - they hold the car down like glue around corners but I think the tyre compound makes them wear away quicker than others.

Check last months EVO magazine for a pretty comprehensive tyre test.

Evo Tyre Test 2010

The Contis came out top for wet and overall.

I'm on the hunt for some new tyres, but still not sure if I want the Contis or the Michelin PS3

Ive just fitted conti sport contact 3s and they are great in the wet but as mentioned not a hard compound so mite not last as long as others but im not bothered as long as they grip well!

Evo Tyre Test 2010

I'm on the hunt for some new tyres, but still not sure if I want the Contis or the Michelin PS3

I have PS3's rear January, 15k miles and ContiSport3 front December 14k miles. Last time I looked the rears appeared to be disappearing faster than the fronts! AutoExpress rated the Contis top a little while ago

ive got michelin pilot sport..........wet and dry,the best tyre ! (imho)

Evo Tyre Test 2010

Once you have driven with Contis you wont be able to go back... :) I had contis and then made the mistake of going with Pirellis, it was a completely different driving experience. I went back after 2 days and got them to replace with Contis - cornering, braking, accelerating and just overall handling are improved... You just have so much grip on the road.

I do like my Contis :)

Once you have driven with Contis you wont be able to go back... :) I had contis and then made the mistake of going with Pirellis, it was a completely different driving experience. I went back after 2 days and got them to replace with Contis - cornering, braking, accelerating and just overall handling are improved... You just have so much grip on the road.

I do like my Contis :)

I had Contis on the porker and had to get rid of them for Michelins as I was so unimpressed. I guess it depends on the car they are fitted to, but it makes me reluctant still to spend out on them again even though they seem to be rated.

I would get some winter tyres, these are suppose to be very very good Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme , but dam near impossible to get, I have just got some Hankook W300 not got them on yet but read some pretty good reports at £430-00 for 4, at your mileage you be near needing a new set by time summer comes.