Wet driver's footwell

benjy911

Reaction score
I've had a quick Google and couldn't find much on the 8Vs getting wet footwells apart from a few with sunroofs. Got in the car today and thought it smelt damp, turns out there is a damp patch in the driver's footwell. I've checked the drainage holes in the windscreen scuttle and they look fine, has anyone else had this issue? I don't even think there's been much rain today...

Picture added, excuse the mucky carpet!

Attachments

• 27267121_10159975589875385_865981112_o.jpg
    27267121_10159975589875385_865981112_o.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 723
Are you sure it's not from wet shoes when you last drove the car, which hasn't had a chance to evaporate due to the cold weather?

Definitely not shoes, it was dry this morning when I left it. I think for the amount of water there the shoes would also have to have been dropped in a bucket, it's soaked through the matt!

It looks like the side of the footrest is wet as well as if it has run down into the footwell. Is it just water or is it something odd like coolant? I mention coolant because the heater in a car usually works by having a small radiator within it that circulates coolant from the engine. A leaking hose could leak in the cabin like that. Or possibly water has come down the footwell vents but no idea how the water could get in there.

Last edited:
Sorry should have said, that is where my foot has been as I took the pic after driving. All that was there originally was the big round circle, it doesn't have a coolant smell to it, looking up it the only thing above is the vent, but likewise, I've no idea how water would get in there!

Sorry should have said, that is where my foot has been as I took the pic after driving. All that was there originally was the big round circle, it doesn't have a coolant smell to it, looking up it the only thing above is the vent, but likewise, I've no idea how water would get in there!

Weird. If it has come down the footwell air vents I do recall something similar happening in an old Skoda of mine. It happened when I removed the plastic scuttle (against the windscreen) and was trying to wash out debris (decayed leaves) from the area below using a hosepipe. The water went into the ventilation system, soaked the pollen filter and ended up in the footwells.

Any pressure washing recently?

Drains clogged up and it may leak into the cab.
Common thing.
You’ll need to remove plastic trim at the bottom of the windshield, from under the bonnet. It should cover the wiper motors etc.
Once done, check each corner of drains if no visible blockage. Leafs and dirt is usual thing there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a quick Google and couldn't find much on the 8Vs getting wet footwells apart from a few with sunroofs. Got in the car today and thought it smelt damp, turns out there is a damp patch in the driver's footwell. I've checked the drainage holes in the windscreen scuttle and they look fine, has anyone else had this issue? I don't even think there's been much rain today...

Picture added, excuse the mucky carpet!
Mates Golf R had same issue and they found the drain holes (I think behind/near the side skirts at the front) were blocked, got them cleaned out and now ok.
Maybe your is a similar issue mate. Have you checked the drain plugs by the bulkhead under the bonnet ?

It really does sound like this is blocked drain holes under the plastic scuttle against the windscreen. I have taken that part off on a Skoda. The wiper arms have to be taken off (and aligned properly on the splines when replaced). The plastic scuttle can be permanently deformed if care and patience is not used (I wonder how I know). Ideally you need a wiper arm removal tool and make sure you grease the splines when you put the arms back so they don’t seize if you ever need to take them off again.

Being towards the centre console I'd say it's the air con drain tubes adrift / blocked from the bottom of the heater box & instead of the moisture that the a/c has removed from the incoming air draining out under the car it's draining into the cabin.

Thanks for the replies, I haven't had time to get the scuttle off yet but the holes down to the drain holes are clear and I can't see anything with a torch. I've also poured quite a lot of water over it and had nothing else through, I'll get the hose out at the weekend. I've got it booked in at Audi next week for a service light reset and some investigation into other bits and pieces, do you think it's worth mentioning before I start pulling it apart or would it not be covered under the warranty? I only bought it in November last year.

I have a 4.5 year old 8V and it looks like I have the exact same problem. I had noticed it a while back and convinced myself it was just wet shoes - then I saw this thread.

How awkward a job is removing the windscreen trim and clearing the drains? Will I absolutely need to get a wiper puller or can it be done by other means?

I have recently had my bumper off twice to fit (and re-fit) the RS grill, and the tailgate trim off to fix a rear wiper issue so the sound of plastic prongs springing out already gives me nightmares :)

Reactions: JimK
I have a 4.5 year old 8V and it looks like I have the exact same problem. I had noticed it a while back and convinced myself it was just wet shoes - then I saw this thread.

How awkward a job is removing the windscreen trim and clearing the drains? Will I absolutely need to get a wiper puller or can it be done by other means?

I have recently had my bumper off twice to fit (and re-fit) the RS grill, and the tailgate trim off to fix a rear wiper issue so the sound of plastic prongs springing out already gives me nightmares :)

Regarding a wiper puller the trouble is the splined drive shaft for the wiper arm is tapered and so the wiper arm can be very tight. Sometimes there is some corrosion as well and it is not easy without a wiper puller. You could try to lever them off but there is a risk of damage to you and the car especially if your lever slips. You can get a wiper puller for less than £20 and it will save hassle and swearing. I haven't removed an Audi scuttle but the Skoda one I did was quite awkward not to stress the plastic excessively and it never looked exactly right afterwards. It was a few years back but there were some horrible plastic retaining rivets with a barb on them that are one use only so I had the new ones ready before starting the job. The A3 may use different flings -I don't know. I was also afraid of breaking the windscreen when I put it back. See if you can find an accurate how-to before even considering this job

I have a similar issue although the leak is closer to the wheel arch. Anyone found a step by step guide yet?

How do I test the drains to see if they are blocked?

I have a similar issue although the leak is closer to the wheel arch. Anyone found a step by step guide yet?

How do I test the drains to see if they are blocked?

Basically you direct water on the windscreen and it should run into the drains at the bottom of the screen and then out via the wheel arches. If the plenum chamber is full of rotting leaves you can end up with water entering the ventilation system and going into the passenger cabin. So two simple checks would be 1) lift the bonnet and check the drains at the bottom of the screen in the black plastic. Run some water down the screen with a hose or watering can and see that it drains away properly 2) Pull out the pollen filter (located in the glovebox). If it is blocked with leaves that isn't helping but may also be wet and if it is then the plenum chamber is blocked and needs to be taken off to clear debris.

I do have the workshop diagrams of how to remove the plenum chamber cover but I am not IT savvy enough to know how to post a few pages of a large PDF. If you PM me I can send you the whole PDF and then perhaps if you are IT minded you could post the relevant pages?

A simple (but probably temporary) fix would be to have a poke with some wire down the drain holes but this won't fix a plenum chamber full of muck if that is really the issue.

Last edited: