Westle and S3baby's late night mechanics. (Replacing Alarm Batteries)

Westy

Reaction score
Right just got all the boot trim off to tackle this bitch and I'm now after some guidance!

Can anyone confirm that the alarm and the batteries are actually part of the central locking pump???

I've plugged in the laptop and triggered the alarm and it seems to be sounding from the central locking pump. This is slightly different to the TT, as seen in this guide:

The Audi TT Forum :: View topic - How to - MK1 Alarm Siren fix

Not part of the pump as far as i know... i've had the pump out in the past and it has nothing to do with the alarm... sorry i can't help you any further... my car had an uprated alarm fitted by Audi so i don't use the standard one anymore

Watching this one.... I'm getting 3 beeps when I start my car now from the back which I presume is the alarm batteries being on their last legs

its under the sub yes but further down basically attached to the inside of the rear bumper almost.

Cool, I've got to take the trim off the inside of my boot anyway as I found the spare wheel well had washer fluid in it so the washer hose under the subs leaking, might as well do it all when I'm down there!

Ok here's the guide for an S3 with the Bose sub:

I was suffering from the occaisional 3 beeps from the back of the car and also the following error in VCDS:

01134 - Alarm Horn (H12) 01598 - Drive Battery Voltage 077-10 Signal low Intermittent

First off open the boot (obviously) and undo the 4 torx (size 25) bolts inside the boot trim near the warning triangle:

61971229.jpg

Next up you will need to unscrew the 2 torx bolts (size 27) that are under the spring clip of the luggage net holdings. There's one each side:

0f3953b7.jpg

daf51e2b.jpg

You can then remove the bottom part of the boot trim:

f9c6bcb7.jpg

Now remove the side panel that lets you into the compartment above the passenger side rear wheel arch. If you look in and up towards the rear light cluster you should see a screw head that's holding a bit of plastic trim, like so:

b1ed031d.jpg

As you can see I have broken the plastic at some point when I forgot about this screw!

With this screw out just grab on tight and pull at the trim and it will come away:

a30f19b3.jpg

Now I found things a lot easier if you put the passenger side rear seat forward and lift the carpet. Then undo the luggage net clip that is behind the passenger seat:

2dcb1d9d.jpg

Now move the central locking pump out the way, it might be cable tied in so cut the tie. With this out the way you will be able to access the bolts that hold in the sub as seen in the following pics:

41ba7c49.jpg

ee647d96.jpg

Undo the 3 bolts (8mm I believe) and unplug the sub:
509effbe.jpg

You then need to undo the bolts holding on the little amp for the rear speakers that sits above the sub:

08993810.jpg

This will then swing out of the way:

6db74aef.jpg

You can then swing the sub out the way too:

d75144d0.jpg

The siren is tucked down real low below where the central locking pump was originally:

7290f027.jpg

There is one 10mm bolt that is on a brass bracket, undo this and you can slide out the alarm siren on the bracket:

3fea0ef7.jpg

With the siren out I set to work on it with a junior hacksaw. I didn't have any cutting discs for the dremmel and I thought it would be a lot more controlled with the hacksaw:

8eeaf158.jpg

Unfortunately the batteries had already started to leak and the damage was quite bad but I had a go at repairing it anyway. The tracks on the board were also damaged from the acid:

c3ccc130.jpg

99c578fb.jpg

b6d732cc.jpg

I set about following the guide above and wired up the batteries to the board after a little clean up of the acid:

ebb1f67f.jpg

I put the alarm casing back together and taped it shut, reconnected it to the car but it is now a silent alarm :( MY error message has now cleared though so the batteries were definitely the cause but I think the board tracks were too damaged. New alarm module time for me.

Hopefully you can catch yours before it's too late!

For anyone wanting the original part number here it is:

a8779d86.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: s3mad_dude
I'm gonna have to do mine at some point! It started bleeping from the rear speakers last summer for a couple months but then it stopped doing it. What happens if you don't change batteries and you leave them dead?

I may take a trip to you sometime mate :) Are you anywhere near the Hertfordshire Police Constabulary?

You will get away with it for a while but I the batteries completely split then it will kill your alarm. Mine has been beeping on and off for 2 years now and I killed my alarm module by cleaning it up so sometimes it is just best to leave things as they are!

Which police station are you referring to?

You will get away with it for a while but I the batteries completely split then it will kill your alarm. Mine has been beeping on and off for 2 years now and I killed my alarm module by cleaning it up so sometimes it is just best to leave things as they are!

Which police station are you referring to?

******, i better get it sorted soon then! I mean the Herts Police HQ.

Could these pics be put back up - trying to get the alarm out. Have the sub removed and the rear cluster out but can't find the 10mm that holds the unit in place grrrr! lol

Cancel that, got it in the end, what a little sod of a position to put it in grr lol!

Sorry for a thread revival but i need todo this. I cant get my head around how to connectthe batterys together and wiring them in, can anyone explain it in a simpletons terms, wiring isnt my favourite job in the world.

Sorry for a thread revival but i need todo this. I cant get my head around how to connectthe batterys together and wiring them in, can anyone explain it in a simpletons terms, wiring isnt my favourite job in the world.

I wouldn't bother with this mate, just buy a new alarm module. Normally if you've been getting the 3 beeps of doom the PCB board has probably already bit the bullet.

I got the 3 beeps about 2 years ago just never got around to doing it haha, guessing mine will be well shot now.

I got the 3 beeps about 2 years ago just never got around to doing it haha, guessing mine will be well shot now.

Definitely mate. By all means cut it open and take a look. My PCB board was melted from the acid and the damage wasnt fixable. I tried the new battery trick anyway and it did nothing. I fitted a 2nd hand alarm and that lasted about 6 months and has now gone silent after a month of beeping.

If you order a new module from the stealers it's a revised part that is meant to be louder and last longer.

Does anyone know how much a new module is from the stealers as mine's been bleeping for a while now but it still bleep when locking/unlocking.

If I'm not mistaken Audi wanted £170 to replace the siren (labour and parts) a couple of years back.
Not sure if that's actually too bad.

This thread is excellent. My alarm has gone crazy so I did the proceedure on this thread. will just leave the alarm out permanently though I think because of the hassle this has caused.

One thing to note though is the well were the siren is located was really wet at the bottom with a pool of green water. How it got there I have no idea? I woder if it is fluid out of the central locking pump?

IMG 20160403 122036

Yep, works no problem. I know its weird isn't it? It was soapy when i cleaned it up.

Nope. Just took it off and put it in the boot. Not really bothered why it failed.

I cant even be bothered putting a new unit in because that may fail in the future and I dont want to be doing this again.

Dont see the point in alarms now really as they serve no purpose in my opinion due to immobilisers.

Dont see the point in alarms now really as they serve no purpose in my opinion due to immobilisers.
I always think of a crappy digital wristwatch alarm down a deep well when I hear an Audi car alarm go off.

Reactions: Westy
Just like to say thanks to Westy for his tips on alarm removal. Very useful to know where some of those screws were for the Bose sub removal. I didn’t have the little amplifier though sat on top, instead I had a CD changer which I removed with a few ‘simple to find’ screws/nuts. I replaced the alarm siren with the current 8L model . It’s not an exact match to the original part and therefore doesn’t fit without bending that brass bracket a little bit, but it’s much louder than the old alarm. Cost of the new siren from Crewe Audi was about £160 delivered. And the wiring and harness an extra £20 or so.
The replacement alarm siren part number is now: 8L0 951 605A.

One word of advice - the first time you plug the new alarm in, it will just go off in your face. Make sure your key fob is to hand so you can stop it quickly as it is piercingly loud.

My old alarm batteries were totally fried and had leaked and damaged the car wiring plug so I had to chop it off and re-wire a new one. Overall, the interior trim, boot trim, floor and audio components is time consuming to remove but nothing on this job was difficult. I did have one nut left over though....oh well, I’ve tested the sub with no vibrations and the new alarm works well.

Half-way through the trim removal process. It’s really not as daunting as you might think.

N
ew alarm siren is quite different in terms of size and not a perfect fit unless you modify the brass coloured bracket. It’s much louder than the old alarm siren though with the exact same beep style noise.

Wiring harness on the car side of the loom had been eaten by battery acid.

N
ew plug wired in and soldered up.

Couldn’t
resist opening up the old knackered siren just to see how bad it was. When I shook it I could hear things rattling around inside it!

Last edited:
Reactions: Eddie S3
Wanted to attempt this today but thanks to our wonderful weather another weekend job

Reactions: Sandra
Ok here's the guide for an S3 with the Bose sub:

I was suffering from the occaisional 3 beeps from the back of the car and also the following error in VCDS:

01134 - Alarm Horn (H12) 01598 - Drive Battery Voltage 077-10 Signal low Intermittent

First off open the boot (obviously) and undo the 4 torx (size 25) bolts inside the boot trim near the warning triangle:

61971229.jpg

Next up you will need to unscrew the 2 torx bolts (size 27) that are under the spring clip of the luggage net holdings. There's one each side:

0f3953b7.jpg

daf51e2b.jpg

You can then remove the bottom part of the boot trim:

f9c6bcb7.jpg

Now remove the side panel that lets you into the compartment above the passenger side rear wheel arch. If you look in and up towards the rear light cluster you should see a screw head that's holding a bit of plastic trim, like so:

b1ed031d.jpg

As you can see I have broken the plastic at some point when I forgot about this screw!

With this screw out just grab on tight and pull at the trim and it will come away:

a30f19b3.jpg

Now I found things a lot easier if you put the passenger side rear seat forward and lift the carpet. Then undo the luggage net clip that is behind the passenger seat:

2dcb1d9d.jpg

Now move the central locking pump out the way, it might be cable tied in so cut the tie. With this out the way you will be able to access the bolts that hold in the sub as seen in the following pics:

41ba7c49.jpg

ee647d96.jpg

Undo the 3 bolts (8mm I believe) and unplug the sub:
509effbe.jpg

You then need to undo the bolts holding on the little amp for the rear speakers that sits above the sub:

08993810.jpg

This will then swing out of the way:

6db74aef.jpg

You can then swing the sub out the way too:

d75144d0.jpg

The siren is tucked down real low below where the central locking pump was originally:

7290f027.jpg

There is one 10mm bolt that is on a brass bracket, undo this and you can slide out the alarm siren on the bracket:

3fea0ef7.jpg

With the siren out I set to work on it with a junior hacksaw. I didn't have any cutting discs for the dremmel and I thought it would be a lot more controlled with the hacksaw:

8eeaf158.jpg

Unfortunately the batteries had already started to leak and the damage was quite bad but I had a go at repairing it anyway. The tracks on the board were also damaged from the acid:

c3ccc130.jpg

99c578fb.jpg

b6d732cc.jpg

I set about following the guide above and wired up the batteries to the board after a little clean up of the acid:

ebb1f67f.jpg

I put the alarm casing back together and taped it shut, reconnected it to the car but it is now a silent alarm :( MY error message has now cleared though so the batteries were definitely the cause but I think the board tracks were too damaged. New alarm module time for me.

Hopefully you can catch yours before it's too late!

For anyone wanting the original part number here it is:

a8779d86.jpg
Hi. I can't seem to find this part. Has it been updated? Which numbers am I searching?