Went to look at an S4 - WTF do some people do to their cars?!

Sorry to disagree Trev241, but scotty76 is correct.
My manual May 2009 registered S4 has the £475 applied.

That is slightly strange there, I pay the full whack for my February 2011 manual S4, I sort of disputed that - but, when and if you ever look at the original build data on the service book, it is meant to declare the carbon emissions - so that kind of ties it down for any individual car. I think that the figure for mine is 234Kg - and that hurts, but what a car, so I soon forget that bit!

Changing the way that Auto Trans cars were assessed for emissions probably meant that the extra money had to come from somewhere, so diehard Man Trans folk are left to pick up the tab or give in to girlie Auto Trans.

Reactions: TahirS
225g/km is the figure for my car as defined by Audi and DVLA which currently falls into band K.
You are paying more than you should but if you are happy then that's ok.

Reactions: mister.c.
Just noticed you drive the Avant which is and always has been higher than the saloon.

Reactions: DAYTONA 500
225g/km is the figure for my car as defined by Audi and DVLA which currently falls into band K.
You are paying more than you should but if you are happy then that's ok.

For anyone who is still concerned about paying towards the DVLA's "Christmas night out" - have a look your car's data sticker, in the "Audi Service Schedule" front cover and in the spare wheel well - on the bottom line there are figures for official fuel consumption, in the case of my car they are 14.0 7.6 10.0 234 the last one "234" is the one that sets the tax band - in my case L.

If you are paying £475 and the emissions figure for your car on that bit of paper is 225, then get your tax thing sorted as that figure is the figure that the supplying Audi garage should have used when filling in the original reg' forms that ends up with the car getting its first tax disc, and that is what decides what you pay per year - it is not up to DVLA to change things further down the line wrt bands unless any changes are retrospective and so far they have not been.

Alternatively, if that car is second hand and its tax had been returned or had run out, when your supplying garage or you, re-taxed it, DVLA should have picked up the original details, though maybe if, like a lot of S4/RS4 etc it had been previously fitted with private plates, there may have been a mistake made when normal plates were given to it! (just a thought)

Reactions: scotty76
For anyone who is still concerned about paying towards the DVLA's "Christmas night out" - have a look your car's data sticker, in the "Audi Service Schedule" front cover and in the spare wheel well - on the bottom line there are figures for official fuel consumption, in the case of my car they are 14.0 7.6 10.0 234 the last one "234" is the one that sets the tax band - in my case L.

If you are paying £475 and the emissions figure for your car on that bit of paper is 225, then get your tax thing sorted as that figure is the figure that the supplying Audi garage should have used when filling in the original reg' forms that ends up with the car getting its first tax disc, and that is what decides what you pay per year - it is not up to DVLA to change things further down the line wrt bands unless any changes are retrospective and so far they have not been.

Alternatively, if that car is second hand and its tax had been returned or had run out, when your supplying garage or you, re-taxed it, DVLA should have picked up the original details, though maybe if, like a lot of S4/RS4 etc it had been previously fitted with private plates, there may have been a mistake made when normal plates were given to it! (just a thought)
I don't think there will be many mistakes, your figures are certainly correct for your car, mine being 13.7 7.3 9.7 225.
I must agree though £475 must hurt for a car which has pretty much the same performance.

Trev "hurt" yes, victimised for some unknown reason (sob sob)!

Anyway, can you tell me if the S4 logo sector of your rev counter gets back lit - or is it only the "working" two thirds that gets back lit? Ta!

My S4 logo isn't back lit. Bit annoying really but hey ho

S3 is the same, was ripe to be backlit or have a slightly raised up metal edged badging but they went cheap on us.

Back from test drives. It's got to be S-tronic. The combination just goes so well with the engine. Sorry manual guys. I can see the appeal but in my old git days the S-tronic did a lot for me. Maybe it's cause I'm getting crap at changing gear smoothly in my old age. :)

Now here's a conundrum. Out of sheer nosiness I got a quote from carwow. The discount on a new one is 17%. This brings it within £2k of the second hand one I drove this morning. The 2nd hand one had a tonne of options but most I could live without. So now I have no idea what to do. I'd need to get rid of my B7 myself but given the good discount would consider taking a hit and handing it over to webuyanycar (know a couple of guys that have done this so know how they will knock the price down).

So I'm all confused now.

I love my S-tronic - never go manual again.

Yep, this is why I've ordered a new one! besides couldn't find the spec /colour I wanted.
Got an unbelievable price from Carwow and managed to get local dealer to play ball.

I need to decide what to do with my current car in June, dealer offers usual trade-in, WBAC was a reasonable offer but will stick in the
autotrader for a couple of weeks and see if it moves.

Defo worth getting a new one if you can wait 4 months or so

Tech pack and supersports heated seats are the only options on it so not that well specced.

There's part of me that thinks if you're going to buy a car that new you may as well buy new, run it in yourself, spec it with the things you really need.

Discounts are unbelievable at the moment on the big S/RS cars, if you use Orangewheels / Drive the Deal as a benchmark for negotiation and then go in hard with a figure you need to achieve they can either meet it or not, you know where you stand. The APR and PCP is far better on new than the finance on used.

Tough to know on the part-ex which route to take, private sale may get the best price (and a new car would give you time to sell - 4-5 months wait).

Reactions: DAYTONA 500 and scotty76
Wow 190 g/km, buy it quick.:hubbahubba:

Need to print off that advert quickly so that you can get them to top up the money the road tax folk will ask for - lazy garage advert people, when I was looking for my S4, a Land Rover dealer was selling a couple and both strangely had "Landie speak" types of options which might not have gone too well with a S4!

Tough to know on the part-ex which route to take, private sale may get the best price (and a new car would give you time to sell - 4-5 months wait).

Like you Warren, I can't really bothered with the time wasting that goes with selling a car privately. I may just go with webuyanycar and sacrifice a bit of money to save the agro. Need to get the remap taken off first.

Like you Warren, I can't really bothered with the time wasting that goes with selling a car privately. I may just go with webuyanycar and sacrifice a bit of money to save the agro. Need to get the remap taken off first.

I'd rather orbital sand my man veg than sell a car privately again. Try and sell high quality modification parts on here and people offer you peanuts (even though they can see your build thread / attention to detail in your car). It's one of the most insulting things you can be subjected to. I'd rather throw most of it in the bin!

Reactions: DAYTONA 500 and scotty76
Im with you on that Warren[not the man veg bit] ,when my RS3 was going i had people on this and other forums sending me pm's all very interested, after replying to some and sending photos my favourite response of one very interested buyer before any price was mentioned was "i think it will be too much money for me" ,he obviously had no intention of buying it from the start its just like he was window shopping ,I'd rather just px and and get none of the aggro.

Reactions: scotty76 and warren_S5
This well specced car is currently for sale at Birmingham Audi ,for at least the last 2 months it was at Coventry Audi in the same group [Listers ] it looks nice and clean new tyres all round but somethings not quite right that could be hiding a secret past can anyone spot it?Vehicle View - Audi S4 3.0 T FSI V6 quattro S Tronic - Solihull
HighResImageaspx_zps9686e74a.jpeg

HighResImageaspx_zps9a89af3b.jpeg

HighResImageaspx_zps75d5eaa1.jpeg

Reactions: DAYTONA 500 and Tay
it looks nice and clean new tyres all round but somethings not quite right that could be hiding a secret past can anyone spot it?

Gloss black rear diffuser...

Black edition front grille but chrome strips?

Wouldn't necessarily put me off. Let's face it the S4 is an enthusiast car so to be expected. Who's to say a completely original untouched S4 hasn't had a remap in the past and been driven like it's stolen then returned to stock.

The only hard and fast way is to go and see yourself and take a paint depth gauge. Even then you might be doing a honest car that's had a few stone chips injustice.

Thanks for all the help everyone. Especially clarifying the spec on the one I saw yesterday. I'd assumed it had a lot of options because of the list on the Audi used website but I see now lots of them are standard kit.

Emailed the best carwow quote to the local dealer who said they couldn't compete with it.

Black edition front grille but chrome strips?

Wouldn't necessarily put me off. Let's face it the S4 is an enthusiast car so to be expected. Who's to say a completely original untouched S4 hasn't had a remap in the past and been driven like it's stolen then returned to stock.

The only hard and fast way is to go and see yourself and take a paint depth gauge. Even then you might be doing a honest car that's had a few stone chips injustice.

I agree with the remap and driven like its ben stolen but an enthusiast would not have left the original platinum parking sensors in the front grille or chrome strips around the windows,if you enlarge the photos theres red overspray on the radiator, the rear diffuser looks suspect including the area around it,could this be the reason the car has been hanging around for such a long time.

I agree with the remap and driven like its ben stolen but an enthusiast would not have left the original platinum parking sensors in the front grille or chrome strips around the windows,if you enlarge the photos theres red overspray on the radiator, the rear diffuser looks suspect including the area around it,could this be the reason the car has been hanging around for such a long time.

Good point, I didn't notice the grey parking sensors! But assuming its had front end damage why would a insurance repairer use a black edition front grille? That part is probably more expensive than the standard grey.

I've zoomed in and can't see the overspray.

But I agree a car with an unusual history.

Misano Red or Phantom black? What do we think? I read the red can have issues with laquer peel.

Good point, I didn't notice the grey parking sensors! But assuming its had front end damage why would a insurance repairer use a black edition front grille? That part is probably more expensive than the standard grey.

I've zoomed in and can't see the overspray.

But I agree a car with an unusual history.

Not painting the parking sensors or the chrome trim round the windows yet painting rear diffuser it doesn't make sense ,I'ts a car you'd not expect to see at an Audi main dealer .

Misano Red or Phantom black? What do we think? I read the red can have issues with laquer peel.

Before the RS3 I had a Phantom Black one with Black/Silver interior it's great colour combination and takes a lot of effort keeping it in top condition ,Black is terrible for swirls but great for reflections.
IMG_0445_zps4eafbd26.jpg

IMG_0063copycopycopycopy-Version2_zps86ba1a06.jpg

DSC00143_zps30034e1e.jpg

Reactions: TahirS, The Engineer, warren_S5 and 1 other person
Yeah detailing is my thing so I realise the pain black may cause. :) At the same time peeling paint would be depressing.

scotty76 what did you do with your carwow quote? I suspect your dealer won't match as it's not the best time of the year given its the new reg and also end of the month. Given them a call first week of April and see what they say.

Also, don't forget it doesn't matter which Audi dealer you buy the car from. Is there another local-ish dealer you could try? A colleague of mine took his carwow qoute from an Audi dealership in London to Manchester Audi and they even beat it. Was a black edition A5, he only ordered it two weeks ago.

EDIT: Colour is personal preference. But if I was ordering a new car to keep for a while it would have to be Nogaro Blue :jump:

Last edited:
Reactions: TahirS, scotty76 and DAYTONA 500
scotty76 what did you do with your carwow quote? I suspect your dealer won't match as it's not the best time of the year given its the new reg and also end of the month. Given them a call first week of April and see what they say.

I emailed it to the guy at the dealership. :) I take your point about it being March, indeed I was amazed there were any offers to be had at all! Most of them seem to piggy back on the Audi finance contribution which I believe to be £1900 until the end of March. However, as I said a few posts back this seems to be tied to getting the car registered by end of June. Looking at the other S4 thread I'm not sure that's do-able. I'm pretty much out on a limb if I order a new one so the extra £1900 is probably not possible for me. I wonder who's risk it is to take? I suspect it won't be the dealer but will be asking tomorrow. :(

I understand it doesn't have to be local. All the quotes I've had have been from further away with the best being 2 hours drive away. I'm fine with that. Here's how it looks, thought the white is no longer in the frame as a colour...

Carwow2