well it's off with old & on with the new......

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Well it's been a crappy old day today with the rain & wind so what better time to lop off my old exhaust tips etc and fit the replacements stainless steel jobbies i purchased last week. Nice straight forward job, temp clamped them in place them mig welded them on so nice and secure.What i had noticed during my prior fitting session was that the outlet pipe from the back box is pretty well straight for a couple of inches then angles down slightly, by making the cut in this section does give you a much better tip angle when passing under the valance recess, other wise the tips do tend to hang down a bit instead of being level, not a big issue but the overall effect with the tip being more level is a better looking finish and even spacing in the valance recess.
During fitting tried various differing slash positions and tip outlet protrusions etc but decided to have them with the slash cut just outwards a shade to go with the bumper curvature and the top edge of the tip just a shade in from the top edge of the valance recess.
Anway, thats the way i prefer mine and like most things its all down to personal choice, i think 90mm works well, 100mm is a tad too much for me, i like sutle mods .

Anway, boring old black 80mm are history and the nice new 90mml slash cut tips are on, and i think it makes a massive rear improvement , bring things into better perspective, i allway thought the 80mm looked lost and this proves my point .

Took a few pics which are not the best due to poor wether etc and light reflection , anyway i think you'll get the jist of things.
In better light and wether i'll take a couple more as they do look great, well i think so.

rob

Tp5
Tp2
Tp3
Tp4
Tp1
Well thats good , forgot the pics, 2nd time lucky then.

Reactions: B_FUR, Stanningtonglen, Sandra and 2 others
Looks smart rob. Think that extra 10mm makes a big difference mate looks nice. How did you remove the black ones? What was left to weld the new tips to?

Looks ace rob, if I hadn't lost heart I'd definately consider doing similar to mine

Looks smart rob. Think that extra 10mm makes a big difference mate looks nice. How did you remove the black ones? What was left to weld the new tips to?
Thanks chap , yep it doesnt take a lot to make a big diiference. As for removing the old ones ,just got out the 4" angle grinder out with an superthin disk, hot knife through butter job.....
The amount i left on the back box was approx 1.5" , but it was the straight part of the tube which is what i was working on with my plan A, other guys had mentioned about there tips ending up point downwards so i wanted to avoid the same and it has worked well.
key factor was that i choose tips that were quite long to start with so joint pretty well buts up to the back box, i was trying to get away from just having a short wide tip on thin pipe look , well like the original ones.
rgds

Looks ace rob, if I hadn't lost heart I'd definately consider doing similar to mine
thanks for that steve.
You should never loose heart with your car steve, maybe you need something to rekindle your ownership with your great car, if you sell it , you'll miss it.

something else i noticed straight away is the exhaust tone, now i know many people say changing tips makes no difference to your exhaust sound, but i have to disagree i'm afraid.
with my old factory fit tips the exhaust tone allways had a sort of wet farty sound , hot or cold engine, but with these that sounds has gone and the exhuast note is slightly deeper and more crisp, no wet farty sounds now, and before anyone says well your exhuast is shot, it's not, in point of fact it is in very good condition overall, probably wont last forever but no need to start changing anymore of it just yet.

anyway, just added this for a future ref point.
cheers
rob

Looking really smart Rob, I hated my black tips.

Those tips of yours are very similar to milltek tips, actually I think that I prefer them over the millteks.

I wish my tips sat that nice in the bumper
I took my angle grinder to my milltek tips and cut about an inch or so off of them to make them sit back in the bumper more. Mine are sat more or less the same as Robs.

Reactions: Euans2
wow now that looks perfect rob. Fancy doing some for me?

Nice job but looks like I'm the only one who thinks they would look better 10mm further back, looks like they are tucking a bit. Got any shots from directly above?

what do you mean by "tucking " chap, when viewed from above the top edge of the tip is just set back from the centre outer edge of the valance recess.
they are further forward than the old tips is which is the effect i was looking for, but not protruding out beyond the valance like rocket launchers, works just right for me to now.

Sorry, tucking as they are forward of the edge of the valance from the centre line of the tip in towards the centre line of the car.

As they're not double slashed I'd probably have lined the inside edge of the tip with the edge of the valance, hence the 10mm. I found the curvature of the B7 quite annoying when I got mine done and struggled to get the straight cut ones to sit nice. My doubles will be overall wider than your singles tho so harder to get to look nice, I ended up lopping them off and getting double slashed ones to suit the curve better. As long as you're happy, each to there own and all that....

I know what you mean now, i didnt really want to hide the tips away completely, i was looking for a better protusion than with the standard tips , a bit more side view of them etc but not sticking out beyond the valance , so in reality i have managed to tick all tree boxes, anyway thanks for the input allways noted for future ref.