Weird steering light

Kalson

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and just got a Audi A3 8p 09 .
I have got a problem and really need you guys help , the yellow steering signal suddenly pop up and flashing intermittently , the flashing magnitude is not solid as other signal and best describe as " halfly illuminate " merely , the steering is fine no hardship at all , the more strange is the "halfly laminating " yellow still staying on very dim even the engine has turned off !!!
What would that problem be , a true steering mechanics impairment , sign of low battery or dash led problem ?
Many many thanks

Engines on

Engines off with cabin light

Engines off without cabin light

Thanks

Airbag light is on the rev counter, or at least, the light for showing a sensor fault is.
If your steering is working properly, this might be a fault with the dash.
Try driving forward 10 metres, stop and then turn the steering hard left, centre it, then turn it hard right, centre it again and reverse back the same 10 metres.
This will reset the steering angle sensor. Might not work but, it will cost nothing to try it.

Thanks very much guys , have tried to reset the steering angle sensor n the light is all gone . Thank you guys !

Reactions: Jake 61
Ive got this same problem. I'm going to try this to see if it helps. If it doesnt, I've so far read it could be

a) instrument cluster faulty. (to be fair I've seen them on eBay for around £100, and I can fit myself... But they need recoding. And the mileage will need correcting. Now I have vcds but from what I've read you need a skc number and they are hard to get.)

b) earth issues somewhere. (something is earthing via the power steering light, weird because it stays on with no key in the ignition)

c) convenience module in the tailgate? Don't know much about this one..

Or maybe just go to an auto electrician..

Tried to do the steering angle sensor reset and it didn't work. Even took out the instrument cluster and reseated the connector block. The light comes on as soon as I plug it in.
Hoping it's a failing battery...

Hi my friends, I have the same problem with this yellow light, did anyone found the solution,
Please... I really need to have this solved, Its drving me crazy. Thanks in advance

Am sure someone on this forums had the same issue and it was a issue with the dash itself, Not the steering or anything like that.

Yes, there been a few but only the Facelift A3's. It's the instrument binnacle itself, need a new one to cure the light.

Hi, this has just happened on my 2012 A3, did anyone get to the bottom of the problem? It’s really annoying me thanks in advance

@ÑHN was working on fix for this but no update for some time, you could pm him.

Usually happens if you've had the battery disconnected, just do a full lock left, then right and it should clear

Looked into this further and it's the instrument cluster that's at fault. Tried the full lock each way but didn't work. Thanks though.

Yes, binnacle is faulty. Have a google for Audi A3 electronic, ecu, binnacle, dashboard. Maybe someone repairs them now, wasn’t the case a year ago but maybe they are now. Or try messaging @NHN as he’s clued up on Audi repairs.

Luckily the dealer I bought it off is dealing with it. Only had the car a couple of weeks. It has been sent to a company that repair them. They initially thought it was a bad earth or a faulty battery. They put a new battery on and plugged it in and found no faults. They said its a common fault.

Hi Stephen.

So you're suggesting that it was completely fixed by changing the battery? I'm facing exactly the same issue but my battery is relatively new...

No I meant the dealer I bought it from thought it was a bad battery, he put a new one on but it didn't solve the problem. He also plugged it in and found no faults. Basically narrowed it down to be a faulty cluster. It's apparently common. It's been sent off for repair.

I have the same problem, even tough steering work perfectly, I will try what you suggested, my car is A3 2008