Weird problem

Tazzy Wazzy

Reaction score
I've got an issue..... The drive is horrible on my A4 auto sport........ A lot of vibration which I suspect is down to the*flywheel*possibly on its way out

But what is annoying me is sometimes when I come to a stop... Say at a junction or lights.... The car suddenly goes into some funny mode.... Where it revs a lot more than normal when moving off.... And I've noticed that if I turn the car off and then back on again... The glow plug light takes a long time to go off.... And the car is then revving a lot higher.... I. E. It takes over 2000rpm to move off. However during driving the car may go back to normal... I. E. Use less revs.

Anybody got any ideas what that may be?

Morning dude, with what seems like multiple problems will be hard to diagnose remotely, definitely get it plugged in and find the fault codes. You may need to clear them and see what comes back.
Can anyone in the Birmingham area help?

Morning dude, with what seems like multiple problems will be hard to diagnose remotely, definitely get it plugged in and find the fault codes. You may need to clear them and see what comes back.
Can anyone in the Birmingham area help?

Cheers MooLard

I've taken it to people with VAG machines and it's not bringing up any codes which is annoying me even more!

Several of the VAG engine sensors will only cause the ECU to throw a fault code if they short to ground or become intermittent. You cannot rely totally on a lack of fault codes.
MAF & Coolant temp sensors are prime examples of this. You really need to get VCDS on it & look at the measuring blocks & do some data logging.
From the symptoms you describe your MAF may well be failing. When a MAF fails completely on VAG TDI's it will throw the glow plug light on.

Cheers Paul Dazzle

I tried a new MAF and still the same problem!

Do diesels have a throttle body? (excuse my ignorance) but someone suggested a throttle body alignment... But he confused with like 3 different methods depending on your car.... Drive by wire or something like that?

Any ideas anyone?

No throtttle body on the TDI's. Could be a goosed coolant temp sensor. Gunked up or sticking EGR valve is another posibility that comes to mind.