Weird noise from my car today...

mjepson

Reaction score
I was driving with a passenger today, and didn't play my stereo full blast, and heard a sound as i was driving from the engine.

To provoke it i have to gain some speed and then pull the foot off the accelerator. It sounds like something is grinding/rattling. If i push the clutch all the way i can also hear it. The sound isn't very noticable, but you can certainly hear something wrong

I removed the bluefin map but the same sound came...

Any ideas? :wtf:

Mmmmm.

I had something like this a couple of days ago - at first it sounded like the exhaust was trailling behind the car.

Like you I could simulate it by coming off the gas. But I stopped and checked the underneath of the car and could see nothing.

I drove off and its never happened since.....

JamS3 said:
Driveshaft?

Clutch thrust bearing?

Something like this... I haven't got enough experience to pinpoint it, so I think a stop at the Audi garage is in order

Well the audi dealer has found the problem to be the right front wheel bearing. Costs me a whopping 4600NOK (380£)...

Found this to description on about.com, which fits quite good to what i heard :)

[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]A bad wheel bearing will typically make grinding, whining or squealing noises, and you can often feel the looseness or roughness if you raise the suspension and rotate the wheel by hand. Worn wheel bearings should be replaced, because failure may cause the wheel to come off the vehicle.[/FONT]

I just wondered how this happened after only 36.000 km on the clock, and all i can think of is when i had to give the wheels a good knock at 9, 12 and 3 o clock position with my foot to get the damn wheel off when i was changing tyres.

This might have damaged the wheel bearing, or what?

That shouldn't damage it - think about the daily knocks, shocks and loads a wheel has to put up with in normal driving, never mind when your throwing it about. I wouldn't of expected a wheel bearing to go after such a short time and mileage. I'd challenge the dealer, see if you can get it covered under warranty.

I had a wheel bearing go at about 13k (probably just good old english roads) so I wouldn't worry too much, and mine was covered under the warranty - didn't cost me a penny.

The car was imported from Germany and is just over 3 years old, so my local dealer said that normal warranty didn't cover it, but that i should check it up with the german dealer who sold me the car 3 months ago...

The car had been in a collision about 1 year ago in germany, and they replaced the right wheel and did work for about 7000€ on it, so i would have guessed they changed the wheel bearing aswell, but i haven't checked the repair list yet.

Any chance of the germans covering this?

Well, I hope the garage gave a years warranty on it? Most dealers do, even non Audi one's add their own warranty.
Also, if al that repair work was done, and the bearing was changed then, or it was damaged, and wasn't replaced, shouldn't the repairing garage cover it???
A long shot, but might be worth it!

I have sent them a email now. I hate calling them cause they suck at english ;)