Weird noise after remap - any ideas?

Raahul

Reaction score
Hello All,

I got my car (A3 2.0tsi 200bhp) mapped just under a month ago. The car is a joy to drive now. However, since the remap, I’ve been hearing this whine which sounds like it’s coming from the turbo (sound clip below). I thought it was a bit of extra sound coming from the turbo but my mechanic told me it sounds like it’s failing. It’s booked in on Monday to get the turbo checked.

I have no smoke and no loss of power,
Car has done 66k miles.
New diverter valve, turbo muffler delete around 1000 miles ago

Has anyone else experienced anything like this or know what it could be?

Sound clip -> https://streamable.com/7c6w16

Thanks.

Reactions: Julian smith
What map have you got? Or who did it?
Might be worth a call?!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

What map have you got? Or who did it?
Might be worth a call?!

It was actually mapped by rtech. I’ve given them a call and they’ve been helpful. Will see on Monday if it is my turbo. Just curious to see if anyone else has experienced anything like this.

Good luck, was good to talk to them as they would provide good advice.

I want mine remapped at r tech, as soon as I can make the 5 hour trip...

Is it night and day different?

Reactions: Raahul
Do you have a cold air intake on the car as noises become magnified with one on especially when mapped
The noise to watch out for is like a police siren. What I can hear from the clip is a shrill whistle when you put your foot down hard.

It's not really a typical worn turbo whine. It's almost like some momentary harmonic vibration noise. I agree with getting it checked at the tuner - it may be something simple like something not tightened properly. :shrug:

I’d guess it’s a gasket on the exhaust side of the turbine... due to the increased boost pressure.

Fixed a very similar noise on my TDI, I replaced the turbo to dpf gasket (the one used for the V-Band clamp I know yours differs from this).

Last edited:
Good luck, was good to talk to them as they would provide good advice.

I want mine remapped at r tech, as soon as I can make the 5 hour trip...

Is it night and day different?

It’s a big difference for sure! Car is running 275bhp now. I took a 8v s3 (stock) owner first a drive and he was very impressed.

Do you have a cold air intake on the car as noises become magnified with one on especially when mapped
The noise to watch out for is like a police siren. What I can hear from the clip is a shrill whistle when you put your foot down hard.

Yeah the sound is really weird. Doesn’t happen in neutral and gear 1. I do have a CAI and a turbo muffler delete and I Hope that’s the reason for the noise. The whistle is louder in the video than it is in person too.

It's not really a typical worn turbo whine. It's almost like some momentary harmonic vibration noise. I agree with getting it checked at the tuner - it may be something simple like something not tightened properly. :shrug:

Ah, you’ve given me hope. Thank you!

I’d guess it’s a gasket on the exhaust side of the turbine... due to the increased boost pressure.

Fixed a very similar noise on my TDI, I replaced the turbo to dpf gasket (the one used for the V-Band clamp I know yours differs from this).

Thank you for that! Will update you guys on Monday when it gets checked. Hoping it’s something simple like this.

Don't know if you ever got to the bottom of this, but I had an identical whistle/wine on my A3 when I was running an open cone intake with the standard (K03) turbo. I endured it for a month before I went for a hybrid K04 with an open cone intake, after which the sound went. The sound is not uncommon on these engines: see this review video here of a Mk6 GTI which shares the same engine...you can hear the whine at the 2:00 minute mark. Deffo not a worn turbo sound.

Reactions: Julian smith
Hello All,

I got my car (A3 2.0tsi 200bhp) mapped just under a month ago. The car is a joy to drive now. However, since the remap, I’ve been hearing this whine which sounds like it’s coming from the turbo (sound clip below). I thought it was a bit of extra sound coming from the turbo but my mechanic told me it sounds like it’s failing. It’s booked in on Monday to get the turbo checked.

I have no smoke and no loss of power,
Car has done 66k miles.
New diverter valve, turbo muffler delete around 1000 miles ago

Has anyone else experienced anything like this or know what it could be?

Sound clip ->

Thanks.

Hi mate I know it's been a while since this post but I'm hoping you have resolved the issue and have an answer, as I to have a very similar noise, except mine was after a complete rebuild and the turbo was also overhauled.
Since my remap the noise has got worse. I'm thinking turbo or maybe clutch?
Cheers