Weird MFSW button operation problem - coding?

piehole1983

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I retrofitted a MFSW to my A3 today as it didn't have one. I also fitted a new control module with the ability for MFSW and cruise (which is also fitted and working). I've coded the module according to the table in VCDS but the buttons do not behave as they should.

• Volume scroll does nothing
  • Volume scroll pressed in reduces the volume.
  • Scan scroll does nothing
  • Scan scroll pressed increases the volume.
  • Mode button starts frequency search upwards
  • Speech button starts frequency search downwards
I've also coded the radio itself to say that MFSW is present.

Steering control module is 8P0 953 549B HW ver. 021 SW ver. 0050
Slip ring is type 2 I believe

You got the correct steering wheel loom for the car/wheel?

I have the loom that came with the wheel and connects to the buttons and airbag if thats what you mean?

Yes i do i had to change my loom for a certain number, search my posts for the partnumber

I retrofitted a MFSW to my A3 today as it didn't have one. I also fitted a new control module with the ability for MFSW and cruise (which is also fitted and working). I've coded the module according to the table in VCDS but the buttons do not behave as they should.

• Volume scroll does nothing
  • Volume scroll pressed in reduces the volume.
  • Scan scroll does nothing
  • Scan scroll pressed increases the volume.
  • Mode button starts frequency search upwards
  • Speech button starts frequency search downwards
I've also coded the radio itself to say that MFSW is present.

Steering control module is 8P0 953 549B HW ver. 021 SW ver. 0050
Slip ring is type 2 I believe

What reg is your car and is it manual or auto?
When I retrofitted mfsw to my 57 reg I had to get control module 8p0953549F so I'm thinking you may have the wrong module. I'm not sure if this is the same for manual and auto or not though.
Oh and I had to get a new steering wheel/airbag connector aswell when I did mine.

It's 2005/05 manual sportback. All the coding options are there in the new unit that I bought and it accepts the coding fine.

The unit I removed was listed on the Ross Tech site as a 1K0 953 149E Lowline jobby. The connector that I used is the one that came with the wheel and it fitted in to my slip ring perfectly. I used the logic that the 8P0 953 149B I bought would be Highline like the 1K0 953 149B unit listed on the Ross Tech site also.

It's 2005/05 manual sportback. All the coding options are there in the new unit that I bought and it accepts the coding fine.

The unit I removed was listed on the Ross Tech site as a 1K0 953 149E Lowline jobby. The connector that I used is the one that came with the wheel and it fitted in to my slip ring perfectly. I used the logic that the 8P0 953 149B I bought would be Highline like the 1K0 953 149B unit listed on the Ross Tech site also.

I'm pretty sure it's not that's why you have to get the one that I got that ends in F as that's highline

You could be right, I'm hunting through ETKA online for any info on them. The F one seems to cover a load of models from 2004 right up to 2015, it must be the master of them all!

I'm sure there's a midline module which does cruise but not mfsw so I'm thinking you've maybe got that one

I'm sure there's a midline module which does cruise but not mfsw so I'm thinking you've maybe got that one

Yeah, looks possible based on it being an old unit. Hopefully someone has access to detailed info on it before I start buying more stuff.

You definitely need the one that ends in F, I looked it all up before I bought the parts for mine. The only highline module that has a different part number is for the facelifts

Just to box this one off, I got an F module from eBay for the bargain price of £30 a while ago and fitted it today. Once coded, the steering wheel buttons work as they should. I didn't need to change the steering wheel loom either.

Just to box this one off, I got an F module from eBay for the bargain price of £30 a while ago and fitted it today. Once coded, the steering wheel buttons work as they should. I didn't need to change the steering wheel loom either.

£30 is a right bargain

£29.75 delivered to be exact! They all seemed to be around £80/£90 on eBay. My patience paid off in the end!

Hi there, I used the airbag cable that came with the wheel. Everything seems to be working as it should. I hope I never have to see my airbag deploy anyway :)

And which car was the wheel installed in before?

The cable is different from example A3 to A4, etc. so it needs to be the part number 8P0 971 589 AD Q. That could be the root cause of your problems.

The cable I have is part number 8P0 971 589 Q and the donor car was a 2008 A3. Just to clarify, there are no problems now. It was the steering control unit that needed changed to revision F. After doing that, everything works fine.

No worries at all! Thanks for the links to your site. I visit quite often when I'm changing setting with VCDS, it's been a great help.